View Single Post
Old 14th December 2016, 14:24   #6 (permalink)
tintagel

Thanked 9,854 Times in 3,801 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rail strike outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoro View Post
I think you will find this rails companies profit goes to Government so it is costing THE NATION in lost revenues ie taxes so yes it does affect all.
People have lost jobs because they cannot get to work
I understand other train companies work without conductors however Sothern are in dispute over this,The only trains I have seen out of Portsmouth are only 3 or 4 carriage.With the modern closing doors and locking system personally cannot see the problem,with driver only trains,No longer have bus conductors (iknow slightly different) but move with the times,
Lol, is that after the mega Tax payer subsidies have been added in, or after?

The problem is a lot more complicated than a few disgruntled passengers being late!.

"The financial context

The stated ambition of the government has been to drive down the costs of rail, transferring more of the cost from taxpayer to passengers but raising fares has become politically toxic. A 2011 report by Sir Roy McNulty said that costs in the UK were up to a third more expensive than in comparable European countries, for a variety of reasons. The DfT has looked to ensure new franchises drive down costs, and staffing is an obvious target driver-only operation, enabled further on new fleets of train, could do that."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-off-the-rails

Click on 'Costs & Revenues' in link:

Costs and revenues of franchised passenger train operators in the UK | Office of Rail and Road

It's not actually the Railways they've franchised out, it's us the Passengers....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passen..._Great_Britain

Debated in Parliament:

PARLIAMENTARY DEBATE ON PERFORMANCE OF SOUTHERN RAILWAY | The Rt Hon Sir Nicholas Soames MP - Member of Parliament for Mid Sussex

Spot on Spurs, it's all about the Money, cutting costs at the expense of Passenger Wellbeing & Safety! Now where have I heard that recently...