View Single Post
Old 5th January 2017, 22:47   #93 (permalink)
yalimart
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 19,208 Times in 8,278 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NHS & Social Care in Crisis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
Good advice Juco.

Can I just add the importance of getting POA's for both Finance & Health. We thought having the financial POA would cover all bases - Wrong! At one time we had Mum's solicitor on stand-by to get a Protection Order for her as Social Services wanted to put Mum in a Nursing home against our wishes, keeping Mum at home was beginning to cost them too much!.

Truly, the stuff Nightmares are made of

Martin, so sorry to hear about you Dad, I'm sure I'm not the only one on TLF who has trodden that road & is willing to help in anyway they can, just ask.

You've mentioned the help you've received so far has been good, that's great but please keep an eye on the ball, not the player. I don't know if Scotland's services are any better than England's services have become, just be aware & look out for yourselves & your Dad.

Best wishes, T.
Thanks for your concern T. It's my dad who has the issues in Manchester not Scotland, that's Linseys dad.
My dad has a will which splits everything between my sister and myself, he wouldn't entertain P.O.A when he was capable of making the choice sadly.
My wife is a professional in financial services previously advising, then latterly advising advisors her speciality was estate planning in the wealth management space so from her point she has seen all of this before at all levels. She could have guided him into a trust years ago, but he wouldn't have that either and trusts are not for everyone and of course there are many types of trusts and what seems a good idea at the beginning can cause issues down the line especially for instance where there are estranged family members and many other scenarios no one can pre empt. Interestingly for the past year or so he would listen to Linseys advice before any other apart from the P.O.A advice, he simply wanted to be in control, as he saw it as a "it will never happen to me" scenario.
We have resigned ourselves to ensuring he has the care he needs when he needs it but also to fight any battles on the way that need fighting.
At the moment we are being hit from all angles with Rochdale council doing there bit, north Manchester general doing theirs sometimes with an overlap, wouldn't you think they could connect.
For me it's a 50 mile round trip doesn't sound a lot and each journey would only take 20 to 30 minutes if it was in Scotland but it takes 40 minutes on a typical Christmas Day to double that each way on a working day, thankfully my sister is able to walk there in 5 minutes but I certainly don't want the onus to fall on her.
There is and will be some great advice on this thread, so thanks from me.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
tintagel (9th January 2017)