Thread: Nato
View Single Post
Old 11th July 2018, 23:01   #372 (permalink)
35pluschips

Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,298 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
Trump maybe against NATO, but the Americans aren't, as seen by the results of a bi-partisan Senate vote which was overwhelmingly for NATO, approving a motion in support of the Organisation. This pro-Nato vote took place in the Senate only on Tuesday and was 97 - 2 for NATO....

Obviously, a reflection of the electorate, as no career senator is/was likely to jeopardize their seats just when they are up for re-elections... so unlikely to vote against an unpopular vote.

Quite telling, the worry being felt across the board, of Trump's ambivalence towards NATO, seeing most members of Trumps own Party voting for NATO against him .......... Trump is on his own on this tactic with the Europeans.
I pretty much agree but his outspoken stance has brought monies into NATO. If countries are not paying their way then surely its not a case of just keeping quiet about it.
It was expected for him to go at it like a bull in a china shop, now its a case of seeing what comes of it. I have never thought that Trump has intentions of dismantling NATO, nor do I think he even has those capabilities. As said though, why should broken Greece pay 2% if more wealthier countries don't?
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote