View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,113 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramidan View Post
OK I am going to ask the question.
Why didn't this individual have travel insurance?
Once we know the answer people might be more inclined to help.
If people just refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions ( or inaction in this case) do they think never mind we'll try crowd funding.
My travel insurance costs an arm and a leg, shall I just forget or say I won't bother?
I have sympathy for the fact she has had an accident, am I going to "crowd fund" no sorry I am not.
Wrong message, I'll skip it and let others pick the bill up.
You can call me heartless or whatever, I take personal responsibility for my life. You are travelling to a foreign country, must have checked your passport and got a visa.
When you buy your ticket there are constant pop ups to buy travel insurance but you forgot.
Sorry you rolled the dice.

In many ways I agree Bramidan. After reading about this on Facebook last night I asked my daughter her opinion on the crowdfunding aspect. She said she thinks its ok and I wonder if its a generational thing as I went on to tell my daughter that if something similar happened to me I wouldn't want her to do that. To be completely honest before I married I had lived here for several years with no medical insurance in the full knowledge that I was taking that chance and that if something terrible did happen to me i'd have to possibly use all my savings to pay for treatment etc. BUT I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't had the money myself to pay for it.
However, my heart does go out to the lady involved and her family.
I saw a tv program about UK hospitals treating foreigners that dont qualify for free NHS treatment and trying to bill them afterwards, many many of them never pay the bill, they just return to their own country and refuse to pay, one of them was actually Turkish. I cant decide which is worse, treating them and the NHS losing even more money to treat British citizens or discharging them as they are saying here that will do this woman.

alison
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (13th October 2019), shash (10th October 2019), suecheshireuk (11th October 2019)