View Single Post
Old 17th July 2020, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
REDDERS

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,057 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving car in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Hi,

I'm planning on driving to Turkey this September and have a fairly good idea about route, paperwork ....etc

My question is around how we can own a car from the UK and be able to drive in Turkey even when I'm away (will be flying back and forth)

My questions are:

1) I need to travel (by air) from Istanbul to London and back, my understanding is that the car will need to stay somewhere with customs, where is this place? is it in the airport? how do I get to it?

2) Can I have the car in my wifes name (but she won't be in the car when I enter, she will already be in Turkey) so that she still has the car when I'm away? If so how will it be stamped on her passport? can it maybe be transferred to her while in Turkey for example?

3) I have conflicting information on how long the car can remain in Turkey, is it 6 months every year? can I just go and get a different car every 6 months? This way I won't have to buy a car in Turkey and pay 5 X what the car is worth in the UK.

Many thanks in advance for the help
1] If you wish to exit without the car,you must contact the Gumruk in advance at the airport of departure & inform them.It is now possible to leave the car at your home address in Turkey.

2] If you enter with a car not in your name,you must have POA prior to entering to use the car so as to be able to enter Turkey.As for her driving it,you'll need to make enquiries to the Gumruk as she will be classed as a resident if already here,so not sure how that will pan out.Normally it's only the person importing the car who can drive it whilst in Turkey.

3] The car can stay for as long as the time on a tourist entry 90 days max. If you hold an RP it can be up to 2yrs,then unless you register the car with Turk Touring & pay the bond etc to change to Turkish'M' plates it must leave.
Both the car and/or person entering must then be out for a minimum of 185 days before being able to re enter with the same car or another vehicle.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..

Last edited by REDDERS; 17th July 2020 at 21:02..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
howardian (18th July 2020), IbrahimAbi (18th July 2020)