View Single Post
Old 29th April 2011, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,048 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ripped off by the fish monger in Didim

This kind of thing happens all the time in Turkey in tourist areas. Its happened to me several times in the 12 years since I started coming here. The worst was when a friend came to stay with me, we went to a fruit shop and bought a few apples, bananas and pears. I went outside to take a phone call and my friend paid. As we got near home my friend remarked that she'd expected it to be cheaper here as I'd told her it was, I couldnt believe how much they'd charged her. I'd used that shop because another friend (norwegian) had told me they were friends of hers. I called and told her what we'd bought and she went in and picked the same things exactly and was asked for well less than half the money, she was really angry with them and told them about us. The woman didnt care at all and said we were yabancis so obviously could afford it.
Its also happened to me in tailors and key makers. I was once shopping in the fruit market with LyndaW and a man there tried to charge her the price of a kilo for only half a kilo. We both noticed straight away and said so, at first thinking he'd made a mistake but he hadnt and he argued with us and with the guy on the next stall and refused to give it to her. We walked away looking for Zabita but couldnt see any, then the guy from the next stall came after us and gave us the money back.
You are quite right, they have no business sense at all to do this.
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
dawningram (30th April 2011), gizmo (29th April 2011), Hilsjw (30th April 2011)