View Single Post
Old 10th July 2011, 10:13   #24 (permalink)
shirleyanntr
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: essential words 1.

i was recently helping a friend with some legal problems and the lawyer we fıound for him hasnt much English...my turkish is ok..not perfect..but when i was reading the renewed contract i spotted a word i hadnt seen before..Rücu....and asked the lawyer what it meant..(its was revoke) he then went on to explain to me about old Ottoman words and how when they do Law in Turkey they must learn old Ottoman language...(i suppose like a Doctor must learn Latin) as many legal terms are in Ottomanish.

İ thought that when the language laws were introduced by Atatürk that they were trying to phase out the Arabic and Persian words...?