View Single Post
Old 17th February 2015, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Akbuk Rob

Thanked 1,804 Times in 808 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future
Re: Linux Mint XFCE – Install & Setup

Playing music and videos
Your new Mint XFCE comes with VLC Player pre-installed and will play virtually everything you throw at it. Unfortunately also pre-installed is another media player called “Totem” (refereed to in the menus as “Videos”) and this is a pile of poo. You also have a default music player/organiser called “Banshee” but this should have been removed if you followed the instructions to remove Mono on the web page I gave you earlier. Either way lets say you want all your music and videos to open with VLC by default . . . .

Here's How.
If you open a music or video file and it does not use the player you want, close it again.
Right click on the file and select “Open with”.
Ignore the option to click on “VLC Player instead chose the bottom option which is “Open With Other Application”.
A little window will open and you will see VLC Player listed (see attached image).
But note the tick at bottom where it says “Use as default for this kind of file”.
If you leave that checked files with the same extension will open with that app in the future.
So every time a file does not open with your preferred application you now know how to change it.

Note: There is faster more direct way of achieving this by hacking the mime types but if you are still reading this I am guessing you are not as experienced as me and I don't want you to come back & blame me for something you might screw up, so I am playing safe on this one. Enjoy your music & videos.

A quick word about software
If you don't like a particular application or you fancy trying something else, go for it. I am currently seeing 719,910 packages in my Software Centre, almost all are free, safe and available at the click of one button. There must be something in there to do whatever. You have easy access to all of the best (and worst) free “Open Source” software on the planet. Take advantage, I do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg default.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)