View Single Post
Old 18th February 2015, 20:52   #14 (permalink)
Akbuk Rob

Thanked 1,805 Times in 809 Posts
Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future Akbuk Rob has a brilliant future
Re: Linux Mint XFCE – Install & Setup

Uninstalling applications

You could just head over to the Software Centre, find the app you no longer want and hit the button to remove. Removing apps this way leaves behind the original install files and some configuration files which you may or may not wish to keep. There is a faster way with more options.

The Terminal again.

Lets say I want to uninstall a program called “MyGame”.
In the Terminal type sudo apt-get remove mygame press enter, give it my password and it's gone.
This is what I call a soft remove because although the app has gone the system has not removed the original install files nor any configuration files associated with the app. If I want to reinstall that app I can do so in the normal way(s) and I would not need to download the installation again. Theses left overs will not cause any harm but if I know for sure I won't want that app ever again I might wish to get rid of the install files as well, especially if I don't have a lot of space on my hard drive.
sudo apt-get purge mygame completely removes the package and the associated configuration files.

Note: Configuration files residing in your personal Home directory are not usually affected by either removal method because they are owned by you (not root) so need to be manually removed if you choose to do so. Remember, you need to "View Hidden Files" to see these.

If you dislike using the Terminal “Synaptic Package Manager” provides a graphical interface to purge apps, remove old kernels, clean the system and install software, drivers etc. Find it in the Whisker Menu under System.