FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Alanya Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2008, 18:08   #21 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to do and sights to see in Alanya.

now then elaine..you have to tell us a bit about yourself before you can get an answer

im just joking..well almost.

but let us know when you came where from where you live are you here all year round and so on..we are a nosey lot...as well as helpful.

sometimes the internet cafes sell old stock so might be worth having a look in the nearest one to you.
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:04   #22 (permalink)
les&Tasha

UPDATE ON DIMCAY

Today we tried to go to one of the picnic areas beyond the main dam. It was a very bad idea. The road has been destroyed by the constant stream of Tipper trucks which are moving vast amounts of spoil to ensure that the new reservoir will fill correctly. The first two picnic areas have been demolished. After that the road ceases to exist. It is just a dirt track now which is constantly maintained by big grader trucks. We saw the land rover “safari” coming back so we thought we might be able to make it through. A couple of km further on and we had to stop. The big trucks had rutted the dirt track so deep that our Fiat was grounding and we could not get traction. I reckon you could make it with a 4WD but there are so many flying stones from the trucks (one every 20-30 seconds going up or down!) that it had better be an old beat up Land Rover...

This winter they start to fill the reservoir and all this area will be under water. So this year is the last chance to see. I reckon the “safari” is the best option. We stopped for a picnic at one of the restaurants just under the dam. They charged us 25 Lira to use their facilities which were good. We enjoyed our barbeque picnic. The river was dirty. I was swimming with my 3 year old daughter until a turd floated up. Human by the look of it. Problem is there is little flow in the river at this time of year. I reckon this will get worse when they start to fill the reservoir. We have been coming here since 2004. It was an enchanting place but it has been spoilt by this mega engineering project.

Alara river next time.
send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 20:27   #23 (permalink)
R.I.P

shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

hi there..thanks for that update...we are going to have a look up there tomorrow..
sad as the dam is the increased demands for electricity in the area and also a depo for water have made it a necessity.
Have you had a look up the Oba Cay..its just as lovely as the Dim and not as commercial...as yet...clean too..there is a restaurant there ..Kadırpınarı..with a swimming pool and a fish farm....and its nearer than going up to Alara,..which has too many tours.
There is also a nice river in the mountains above Demirtaş..

Last edited by shirleyanntr; 3rd July 2008 at 20:29..
shirleyanntr is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:17   #24 (permalink)

Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice Janeavsallar is just really nice

Hi Shirleyann any update on Dim Cay as we were looking forward to visiting when we all come out in August.

Jane
Janeavsallar is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:38   #25 (permalink)
R.I.P

the Dam is nearly finished..and as Les&Tasha said they will probably start to flood the upper valley this winter...however many of the places that were higher up have now relocated to before the Dam.
You can go to various places on the river by using either the old road..which goes through the centre of Tosmur...or use the new road..the other side of the river..which is in Kestel..and is more signposted from the main road...you pass the Auditorium disco....
This road is also the one to use if you think of visiting the Dim cave up in the hills.
There are still a good many places to have lunch or a picnic or just a drink and a swim...we go to Cennet Vadısı...its sign posted...and i as put in another thread say shirley sent you..you get a discount15%...and i get a free beer.
also on the old road you can visit the place done up like an old Anatolian village..and they have a pool.
Many of the places have now got water chutes for kids..and i have to say that one of the most scenic places has to be Pinarbaşı picnic restaurant...you find this one on the new road,.. go through the tunnel..and its also well signed...but i don't get a free beer from here..!!
Old 8th July 2008, 17:09   #26 (permalink)

Garys missus will become famous soon enough Garys missus will become famous soon enough

Hi Shirley, can you give us directions for Oba Cay please. Will be over in 4 weeks and would like a look at this area also. Thanks, x
Garys missus is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:32   #27 (permalink)
R.I.P

hi Debs..the road to Oba Köy is behind Kipa..if you get to the Oba village you will be able to find the river road from there . Oba Köy is about 2 miles from Oba resort .its a pleasant little village....and the picnic restaurant along there is about 3 miles further on..the road is narrow so go carefully...i think that there is now some rafting on this river
Old 9th July 2008, 13:54   #28 (permalink)

Garys missus will become famous soon enough Garys missus will become famous soon enough

Thanks Shirley, will definitely give it a go.
Garys missus is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 20:35   #29 (permalink)

mikep is on a distinguished road

We want to drive up to the mountains above Alanya - could someone give us directions - ie which route from Alanya to take?

Thanks,

Mike.
mikep is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 17:05   #30 (permalink)

mikep is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help with this please?

Thanks,

Mike...
mikep is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
alanya , sights , things