FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Alanya Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2016, 10:43   #1 (permalink)
John

jss05 is on a distinguished road
Moving back to England

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to move back to UK after living here for a few years. So, circumstances are we have no home to go to - how can we find somewhere to live and what about income - would we get benefits? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
jss05 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jss05 For This Useful Post:
suzyq (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 11:37   #2 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,176 Times in 15,946 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation
Re: Moving back to England

You won`t get a council house for sure, find rented accomodation and benefits ? you are having a laugh. If you have lived in Turkey then surely you cannot be skint unless you are a lady who has had an unpleasant experience with a waiter. Presuming you are an expat then very little free for you I am afraid. Best bet, ditch your passport, lose the capability to speak English, get to Calais and find a UK bound lorry to hang under. All will then be available to you.
davem (9th June 2016), Hilsjw (9th June 2016), SHAWY (8th June 2016), TNT123 (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 11:40   #3 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute

Take no notice of yalides, he used to be our village idiot.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kemerkid For This Useful Post:
Derek Payne (8th June 2016), jss05 (8th June 2016), mollag (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 11:44   #4 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,176 Times in 15,946 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemerkid View Post
Take no notice of yalides, he used to be our village idiot.
You are filling in fine for me Pete. And doing such a better job so I am told.
Bill & June (8th June 2016), Jaycey (8th June 2016), mollag (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 11:46   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll need a permanent address in order to do anything, I doubt you can just arrive back in the UK and be given a council house or some kind of accommodation, so the first thing you'll need to do is find somewhere to rent.
I would expect that once you rent somewhere you'll be considered a returned citizen, and therefore would be entitled to some kind of help, maybe job seekers allowance, but the best solution in my opinion (seeing as though you have no fixed abode) would be to secure a job first, and then find a permanent rental.
There are some great online resources for finding employment throughout the country, I've recently been browsing vacancies and it seems there are hundreds of jobs around, once you know how much you'll be earning you'll be in a better position to select a rental too.

If you are constrained by time and finances then you could rent a caravan home, simply because you can rent them weekly/monthly and they are relatively cheap, and look for employment. Once employed you could move into a permanent address. Be aware that static homes are usually not considered as a permanent residence, but I guess you could use a close relative or friends address for mail/application purposes.

Good luck on your return,
Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
jss05 (8th June 2016), RedBloodedHound (8th June 2016), waterlily (30th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 11:53   #6 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,226 Times in 12,886 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss05 View Post
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to move back to UK after living here for a few years. So, circumstances are we have no home to go to - how can we find somewhere to live and what about income - would we get benefits? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
When I moved to Turkey I did a straight 5 years out there, never stepped out of the place. To be honest I only came back for my daughters wedding (more like to pay for it).
End of the day I done just over 8 years in Turkey. I came back bought a bargain property & here I stay. I don't claim anything so I cant help you on that score. I never cancelled anything with my doctor prior to going to Turkey, taking on board I was only registered with them & I've never actually used them. A few weeks back I phoned them up for an appointment, basically just to see if I was still on their list...........I was & I cancelled the appointment.

Regarding accommodation, I reckon that's down to what area you head for, seems to me that one of the greatest social changes in the UK, most signs on houses now say "for rent", the "for sale" signs have gone on the missing list.
I do remember some years back a couple who were ripped off over a property in Turkey who were rehoused via the local authority due to their desperate situation. Looking around the UK now, there seems to be quite a few people now who are desperate.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 8th June 2016 at 12:18..
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
jss05 (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 12:12   #7 (permalink)
PostPositive

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,156 Posts
RedBloodedHound has disabled reputation

You might find that the time and effort wasted in trying to a claim anything(round and round in circles) would be better spent looking for employment/income.

This is written as advice so that you don't waste your time.

Campaign to bring back Elevenses.
RedBloodedHound is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedBloodedHound For This Useful Post:
Mavisteve (8th June 2016), Spurs (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 12:24   #8 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,226 Times in 12,886 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Even "Kilroy was here" is still living in the gents toilets but he's on a housing list with a 10 year wait.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Yalides (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 12:24   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 4,671 Times in 1,679 Posts
Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute Derek Payne has a reputation beyond repute

After living near Alanya for 10 years. When we looked into returning to the UK, we were told we would have to apply for "Re-Habitation", which basically meant we would have to re-apply for Residency. Having No UK Address or Utility Bills meant that we weren't entitled to any Benefits and Housing etc., for between 3 to 6 months before we could apply.

After a fact finding trip, we finally decided on relocating to Bulgaria. We haven't looked back. Been here in Boyanovo inside Bulgaria near the Turkish border for over 5 years now and loving every minute of it.
Derek Payne is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek Payne For This Useful Post:
flensdorf (8th June 2016), RedBloodedHound (8th June 2016), Spurs (8th June 2016)
Old 8th June 2016, 12:33   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Payne View Post
After living near Alanya for 10 years. When we looked into returning to the UK, we were told we would have to apply for "Re-Habitation", which basically meant we would have to re-apply for Residency. Having No UK Address or Utility Bills meant that we weren't entitled to any Benefits and Housing etc., for between 3 to 6 months before we could apply.

After a fact finding trip, we finally decided on relocating to Bulgaria. We haven't looked back. Been here in Boyanovo inside Bulgaria near the Turkish border for over 5 years now and loving every minute of it.

I don't think that is correct. You don't need to apply for residency, or anything of the sort. If you are a British citizen you are entitled to live in the UK.
You have always needed a permanent address in order to claim benefits, and of course you cannot simply return and claim benefits (thankfully!) some financial responsibility must be placed on people relocating for whatever reason, so perhaps living in the UK for 3 months and showing utility bills etc is required before benefits can be claimed.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Carolyn (9th June 2016), Yalides (8th June 2016)

Tags
back , england , moving