Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 4th November 2017, 14:11   #11 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,319 Times in 706 Posts
angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of
Re: How many people on TLF

Mike and I live in Side 6 months of the year so that we no longer have to have Residency Permits and can use the E-Visa system instead ... 3 months in Side, 3 months in Cardiff, 3 months in Side and 3 months in Cardiff each year ... well, it works for us. We are just a 10 minute walk from the 2nd longest sandy beach in all of Turkey on the West Beach of Side and we go there almost every day. We don't sunbathe but sit at the beach bars and sip our Efes beer and Cola Light usually. We do go swimming in the sea and at our swimming pool on the complex though.

When we fly back to Gatwick we stay in West Byfleet, Surrey at a friend's house for a few days before driving the 2.5 hours up to Cardiff where we have a house. We never rent the house nor the 2 x apartments I have in Side but friends and family can stay there for free ... which they frequently do!

I am originally from Surrey and Mike is from Cardiff ... so best of both worlds really. During the 3 months in Side, we always go somewhere else in Turkey for a week or two as well and have seen some wonderful places ... most recently stayed at the Choo Choo Hotel in Egirdir ... a really pretty hotel overlooking a huge lake surrounded by mountains with only 2 small fishing boats on the lake. Every evening I had the fresh fish from the lake ... most days Cray Fish which was so delicious ... I had 21 of them with each meal and the 2 brothers who own Choo Choo took the heads and tails etc off for me. I know 21 cray fish sounds an awful lot, but not really, once they have their shells off. I asked them to do them like The Lobster Pot did in America when I lived there for 10 years from the age of 22 to 32. Lobster Pot is a chain in USA similar to MacDonalds but with just lobsters on the menu and they supply a bowl of melted butter on the table for you to dip the lobster into. Mmmmm!

We do a similar thing when we have the 3-months in Cardiff ... ie we go on a trip somewhere else in Britain. Last Valentines Day we went to the pretty little village of Looe in Devon. Can't fault it and the variety of Cornish Pasties is quite amazing.

I never thought retirement would be so good. Now I am 67 and Mike is 64 and we will be getting married next year. First time for me and then of course I will be the ripe old age of 68! x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Akasya (4th November 2017), Camden (4th November 2017), enoch (4th November 2017), Hilsjw (5th November 2017), Kalkanite (4th November 2017), Kusann (8th November 2017), margaret (7th November 2017), Sceptre (8th November 2017), shash (4th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 14:22   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 1,337 Times in 618 Posts
Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of Camden has much to be proud of

I agree Shash although only a regular visitor to Turkey for work and pleasure, I always did before joining avidly read TLF, and enjoyed the day to day stories good and bad of posters life in Turkey, and being political buff interested their opinion on Turkeys future.

So enjoyed reading as Shash said, the posts of some, that now seems some
have departed. Knowledgeable members like Tykem, Teosgirl, Bickern ,Tosmur, and the American Middlearth. It now also seems SuzyQ, Laurab, Kingfisher don't contribute so much, and we seem to have lost a good political commentator in Bal Canvar. I also hope yalimart doesn't bow out, all people who in my opinion have made TLF and I have learned from along with many others.

All who were , are interesting people who knew what real life in Turkey is like. I think what should have gone on the "my one regret "thread for me, was joining too late to contribute to the posts of the disappeared and question and debate the merits of their opinions. Its TLF's loss to lose them if that's the case.
Camden is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
Sceptre (8th November 2017), shash (21st November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 14:35   #13 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,027 Times in 899 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived here for 8+ years now. Usually just go back to UK for 12-14 days at Christmas. I find here everything takes much longer than in UK and I seem to be permanently busy. Being without a car here I have to make several trips to various shops and pazaars every week simply because I cant carry everything. I love the Cuma pazaar and choosing and trying different fruits vegetables and cheeses. I rarely used to cook from scratch before I lived here but eat fresh food cooked from scratch most days now. The difference in amount of flavour in the fruit and veg here is astounding. The rest of my time I spend reading, faffing about with my balcony plants, playing with my crazy cat, meeting friends for çay or going to the beach / Dim çayı. I love the beach almost as much in winter as I do summer. Being 2 minutes walk away is perfect! One thing I dont do is go to Brit bars or tourist restaurants & rarely drink alcohol at all. I had no interest in those things for many years even before I lived here full time. My life will sound very boring for many people but suits me perfectly and I'm very contented with life here. I did hope when I moved here that I would be accepted into the Turkish community more and purposely bought in a Turkish area in a small block as opposed to a large block or sitesi housing many foreigners. Unfortunately that hasnt happened and apart from the people in my block (who always say hello etc and will help me if I go to them for anything but never invite me to their ladies çay drinking get togethers) in the surrounding blocks and shops only around 3 or 4 people actually acknowledge me. The few who do and my friends Turkish in laws and now my own in laws tell me thats because as a youngish woman coming here living alone (I was around 38 when I first started coming to this area) I would be viewed with suspicion as its rare for a Turkish woman to live alone here. In fact on two occasions various friends that have Turkish husbands have tried to take me along to visit Turkish neighbours but were told they didnt want me to go as they didnt trust me because I was single. I'm told that if I was older and living alone I would be viewed with much sympathy and almost force fed food that neighbours brought to me and dragged to their home regularly for breakfast and dinner and bayram celebrations. Now that I am getting "older" I'm waiting with baited breath for that to begin

alison
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
Akasya (4th November 2017), Camden (4th November 2017), enoch (4th November 2017), Hilsjw (5th November 2017), IbrahimAbi (4th November 2017), immac (4th November 2017), Jaycey (4th November 2017), Kalkanite (4th November 2017), Sceptre (8th November 2017), shash (4th November 2017), Yildez Datca (8th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 16:53   #14 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 20,176 Times in 10,380 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
…I also agree that we are having too few posts on Turkey, but debates on the politics are dangerous for those of us who live here, it is best not to comment...
I have a nasty feeling that some of Bal Canavar’s comments may have caused offence in certain quarters

Perhaps a lesson for us all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
Sceptre (8th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 17:00   #15 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,922 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Not for me, I would welcome more from the Honey Monster.
Akasya (4th November 2017), Jaycey (4th November 2017), LauraB (5th November 2017), shash (4th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 17:02   #16 (permalink)
shash

shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations Angela and Mike on your forthcoming wedding. Your posts are always interesting and I've garnered a lot of info from your posts. Sounds like you make your days quite relaxing. It's good trying out other places as there's definitely more to see in Turkey. This year for me it was great to get out locally and discover good food and great people along the way. For me the weather is such a bonus but having been there in October and November life seems so quiet. I have asked this on TLF before but never got information, are there any clubs (not the disco type) where you can do for example, art or arts and crafts or anything like WI. Or expat groups. Things that can be done when the sun goes down and the dark nights draw in.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
angelaturkey (5th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 17:13   #17 (permalink)
shash

shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light shash is a glorious beacon of light

A89 I think you were quite brave to have moved to Alanya permanently and it must have been difficult understanding the Turkish ways of looking at people who are single suspiciously. Seems you've overcome this and have made a nice life for yourself. I to wouldn't like all the tourist bars much yet I love going over to our little beach bar. But sadly he doesn't make much out of me as I'm mostly drinking cola. But the foods ok. He also closes when the season finishes. So local life would be limited. Except for the Pazaar and general shopping and a bit of chit chat with whoever stays open after the season. Do you find the days long after October?
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 17:21   #18 (permalink)
McB

McB is on a distinguished road

What's the story with Samri Nasri at Alanya Football CLub? How did that happen?

Great post Alison! Learn a little Turkish everyday, for something to say, and then it get better along the way..>!

Last edited by McB; 4th November 2017 at 17:25..
McB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 18:28   #19 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 2,027 Times in 899 Posts
A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute A89 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a womens group Shash. I dont go myself but will get you a contact number or something. There are also sometimes things like a dance class in winter and Turkish cooking classes . Years ago we had a line dancing class that was hilarious. Do you have facebook Shash? the ex pat pages on there are one of the best ways to get info on things like this. Or joining the womens group.
When I first moved here I did sometimes get a bit bored in winter but not really any more, dont seem to have that much free time.
I'm not sure about being brave although a lot of people have said that. I just believe you should do what you want to do with your life. Lifes far too short and precious to live any other way. Life is what you make it and theres no such word as "cant" in my book. If you want it enough you can!

McB I do speak Turkish and love it. Even when Turks speak to me in English I still carry on in Turkish lol. I'm always asking random people in the PTT. bank or market the correct way to say something and continue learning every day. Thats definitely a good way to fill free time in winter - learn the language! So much can be learnt online and from books and just speaking to people then maybe just a lıttle help with understanding grammar and it all falls into place.

alison

Last edited by A89; 4th November 2017 at 18:34..
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A89 For This Useful Post:
enoch (4th November 2017), IbrahimAbi (5th November 2017), shash (4th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017, 18:45   #20 (permalink)
McB

McB is on a distinguished road

So even though your speaking a bit you still encounter this situation eh? Thats curious. Maybe the others do too? maybe they all come from differnt places around turkey adn are a bit shy to open up? I dont know...

Maybe you have to assume a character style that is more easily understood- like pick a Turkish soap opera character type (one that isnt too sexually riskY) and then try that approach... Im just guessing but maybe projecting something firmly unattractive will appear less threatening---frumpy hat and frumpy traditional anatolian highlands garments... I dont know... you cant change your dressing up too often or they will definitely suspect your a bit loopy...ok enough of my unqualified advice..

I wish Duo Lingo had Turkish... its a great online game type learner for languages!
McB is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
people , tlf