Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 9th November 2017, 20:55   #41 (permalink)
shash

shash has a spectacular aura about shash has a spectacular aura about shash has a spectacular aura about
Re: How many people on TLF

Will any of you have a minutes silence?
The 10th of November in Turkey, Commemorating Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

National Holidays Turkey
ataturk

At 09:05 on the 10th of November in Turkey in 1938 Mustafa Kemal Atatürk died at the Dolmabache Palace in Istanbul ending his 15 year Presidency of Turkey.

Atatürk is known as the founder of the Turkish Republic and the first President of Turkey, after he started and won the War of Independence freeing Turkey from the occupied forces and then creating the Republic of Turkey.

Every year on the 10th of November in Turkey, the country remembers Atatürk by stopping for 1 minute onat 09:05 the time of his death. Vehicles will honk their horns, people stop what they are doing and schools and business pause.

Throughout the day there are many memorial celebrations with the main memorial taking part at Atatürk’s mausoleum the Anıtkabir, where the leaders of the Turkish Government lay wreaths in his memory.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
Akasya (9th November 2017), Sceptre (10th November 2017), stelliebellie (19th November 2017), ted j (9th November 2017)
Old 11th November 2017, 20:41   #42 (permalink)
shash

shash has a spectacular aura about shash has a spectacular aura about shash has a spectacular aura about

Maybe not too many on here had the minutes silence then . Maybe the affinity with Turkey is not so strong. However I saw my friends video from Alanya where everything just came to a halt and the noise of the car horns blaring and beeping was quite emotional to see it. Such devotion and expression shown for Atatürk. ' Respect '
Lots of people out and about so the weather must be holding up well in Alanya.
Old 11th November 2017, 20:52   #43 (permalink)
Alias ....The Scar

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,229 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted a video of it here in Didim, all the cars stopped on the main boulevard, as did the people walking about

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
shash (12th November 2017)
Old 14th November 2017, 12:21   #44 (permalink)
shash

It was interesting to read Angelaside's post about the teaching and Christmas crackers. May this can be added to the activities people do in the autumn /winter season in Turkey. It was interesting and really lovely to see the happy kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to shash For This Useful Post:
angelaturkey (14th November 2017)
Old 18th November 2017, 21:24   #45 (permalink)

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,727 Posts
Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
I agree Shash although only a regular visitor to Turkey for work and pleasure, I always did before joining avidly read TLF, and enjoyed the day to day stories good and bad of posters life in Turkey, and being political buff interested their opinion on Turkeys future.

So enjoyed reading as Shash said, the posts of some, that now seems some
have departed. Knowledgeable members like Tykem, Teosgirl, Bickern ,Tosmur, and the American Middlearth. It now also seems SuzyQ, Laurab, Kingfisher don't contribute so much, and we seem to have lost a good political commentator in Bal Canvar. I also hope yalimart doesn't bow out, all people who in my opinion have made TLF and I have learned from along with many others.

All who were , are interesting people who knew what real life in Turkey is like. I think what should have gone on the "my one regret "thread for me, was joining too late to contribute to the posts of the disappeared and question and debate the merits of their opinions. Its TLF's loss to lose them if that's the case.
Thank you for the mention, Camden, I am enjoying life in KKTC and still take an active interest in life and events in Turkey, but like many people, would not voice any opinion on a public forum any more.

I had already taken a backseat on this forum any way as most of the threads seemed to be about UK politics; I left Britain nearly 30 years ago and take only an idle interest in what is happening over there so have not come over here for months.

Sad to hear that we have lost Bal Canavar.

Have both Norman and Bickern left or just Bickern?
Kingfisher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingfisher For This Useful Post:
Camden (20th November 2017), shash (19th November 2017)
Old 19th November 2017, 12:14   #46 (permalink)
shash

I've gained a fair amount of knowledge on here in the past and it was from the many members that have departed. I still want to learn more about Turkey and love reading snippets of real life in Turkey.
I'm not so interested in reading UK or other politics on here unless it involves UK or Turkey because it becomes a quagmire of opinions which are just personal thoughts albeit wrong or right not forgetting the importance of hearing some politics. .
For me personally I love hearing about what goes on locally in Alanya because that's where I spend my summer months and have so enjoyed local posts even if it's come from Side. That's still local in my eyes. But I've come to the conclusion that hardly anybody lives or does much in Alanya accept for the ones that contributed to one of my earlier posts.
I had asked if anybody observed the Republic day minutes silence and was gobsmacked by the lack of response so I could only deduce from that, that it wasn't observed by expats. I would have observed it had I been there. Turkish people have been very good to me in my 13 years of going there and I would have stood along side them. I think it's good integration and respectful.
Any way my small rant over.
Please come back anyone worthy of being missed.
Old 19th November 2017, 13:09   #47 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 4,968 Times in 2,309 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

As for observing the minute's silence, I don't think it is relevant to many TLF expats, as not many will be out and about at 09:05 on a morning in November. Maybe this is why you did not get many replies. I certainly would respect it if out in public.
A89 (19th November 2017), shash (19th November 2017)
Old 19th November 2017, 17:36   #48 (permalink)

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,727 Posts
Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
I had asked if anybody observed the Republic day minutes silence and was gobsmacked by the lack of response so I could only deduce from that, that it wasn't observed by expats. I would have observed it had I been there. Turkish people have been very good to me in my 13 years of going there and I would have stood along side them. I think it's good integration and respectful.
Republic Day is 29th October.
Kingfisher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2017, 19:02   #49 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

I think maybe confusion over what is being talked about may be the reason for lack of response.
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LauraB For This Useful Post:
Kingfisher (19th November 2017)
Old 19th November 2017, 20:43   #50 (permalink)
A89

Thanked 1,945 Times in 855 Posts
A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future A89 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
As for observing the minute's silence, I don't think it is relevant to many TLF expats, as not many will be out and about at 09:05 on a morning in November. Maybe this is why you did not get many replies. I certainly would respect it if out in public.
I agree! I would certainly have done if i'd been out.

alison
A89 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
people , tlf