Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:50   #1 (permalink)
Frustrated Bolton Fan

spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice
Hassle Bars closed!

It looks like the authorities in Altinkum are determined to stamp out hassle from bars and restaurants

Latest from Voices ;

POLICE have turned up the heat on hasslers in Altinkum with the closure of 10 bars and restaurants along the sea front promenade for a maximum of FIVE days.

Squads of officers, along with Zabita police, closed down one on Sunday, five yesterday and four today (TUES) after undercover officers filmed bar staff hassling tourists.

The crackdown is a massive step up of pressure on the bars to keep in line or be closed down during the most lucrative times of the season.

Officers posed as tourists in plainclothes, but were armed with cameras to take pictures of the worst offenders.

The action has been swift and a dramatic hardening of their approach compared to last year when hasslers were roaming the beaches armed with leaflets and handing them out to sunbathers.

The list of shame is the first to be published by the Voices Newspaper:

Sunday:

Ege Bar, in Dolphin Square.

Monday:

Damla Restaurant
Istanbul Restaurant
Four Seasons
Everest
Dolphin Square Bar

Tuesday:

Topkapı
Temmuz
Big Ben
Pinocchio

Didim Police chief Yalın Akalınlı said: We have closed these bars now, but we will not hesitate to close more if they insist on hassling the public. It is possible that more will be closed shortly.

Police can close bars for up to 30 days for the worst offenders.
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:55   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Plops Champion!
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,022 Posts
bobthenob has disabled reputation
Re: Hassle Bars closed!

Thats great news for the ones that will remain open,since there going to be less bars and cafes,open at the front will give the remainder, that are open a freeby of punters to enjoy,and the profits rolling in.
bobthenob is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,767 Times in 885 Posts
Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute

This is only fair to the bars and restaurants that do leave you alone. It's easy to say to people just ignore them but I will try to avoid the confrontation in the first place by diverting around the worst ones. That in turn will mean that i will also miss the 'innocent' bars & restaurants.

Martyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:14   #4 (permalink)
Frustrated Bolton Fan

spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice spitfire is just really nice

I'm surprised to see Big Ben on the list. When we were there a couple of weeks ago they never hassled us when we walked past, they just said "good evening". A couple of the others never learn especially Dolphin square bar because they were closed at least twice last year for the same thing.
All things considered the amount of hassle that we experienced compared to previous years was considerably reduced.
I agree with Martyn, we too avoid the ones that hassle when you walk past and probably miss out on some great places to eat and drink
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:16   #5 (permalink)

beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all

I'm so glad they are doing something about the problem.
I really do think this is a massive problem for Turkey's tourism industry..
Many of my friends who have been to Turkey for the first time, say that they will not return, due to the level of hassle they encountered.
beachhhhhhh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:27   #6 (permalink)

Parking Battle of the sexes Champion!
Ian Harding is a jewel in the rough Ian Harding is a jewel in the rough Ian Harding is a jewel in the rough

I know it`s a nuisance at times and the constant hassle can often spoil a nice evening walk, but perhaps if they had introduced a Yellow Card, Red Card warning system then barowners would have got the message that the authorities meant business.

Shame to see employees lose their earnings because the boss ignored the law and encouraged them to `force sell` his business. If they had perhaps been made aware that the business had been `Yellow Carded` then they would have no excuse other than to conform with/to the system.

This may generate a kind of local turf war, with bars sneaking/informing on innocent competitors. Wait till the `No Smoking` embargo comes into play, that will really set the standards.
Ian Harding is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:44   #7 (permalink)

beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all

"...I know it`s a nuisance at times..."
In my opinion, it can be more than just a nuisance. It can spoil peoples' holiday.
When you need to constantly change your route to avoid the hassle boys it's not on.
beachhhhhhh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:48   #8 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

its got to be done .we drove to altinkum from bodrum for the first time 3 weeks ago on business. i was looking at a board advertising a restaraunt when this turkish guy pulled up in a flash mpv got out walked up to me and said ,hi do you see anything you like ,i said what do you mean ,he pointed to flats for sale on the board next to the one i was looking at ,i said bloody hell mate i am not looking at that board . so he jumped in his mpv and went . and i did not even have time to look at the shops before we drove back to bodrum . that was my first experience of altinkum .
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:51   #9 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

you have hit the nail right on the head .we have become experts at going to our favourite cafe,s without passing anyone else,s. its amazing how you can do it after you learn your way around . but you should not have to do it really.
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:33   #10 (permalink)
Wer'e not really here

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,006 Posts
peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute peter the postie has a reputation beyond repute

Its excellent that the authorities are taking such a tough approach. We noticed the decline in hassle last year and no doubt we'll have a problem free stroll along the prom soon

Tags
bars , closed , hassle