Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th October 2009, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
5 a day inspiration!

tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about
Smile Didim Language School

I feel I should make a comment about an honest bloke...
I took a few lessons at Didim Language School in May this year and was very keen and paid a 100TL deposit towards more lessons on my next holiday in September. I was due to start on the Monday night at 7pm but changed my mind due to various factors so I phoned and cancelled the lessons at short notice. I didn't give the deposit another thought as I cancelled. The manager asked me to go in that night or on the Tuesday morning for a chat. I got an offer of a lift to Ephues (?) on Tuesday morning and forgot all about dropping in to see him (I am not normally this ignorant but was being spontaneous as I was on holiday). I dropped in unannounced on Wednesday morning when I was up that way. We had a chat and he offered alternative suggestions for lessons but I said not this time then he said you paid 100TL, got his wallet out and paid me it back! I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't ask for the money or expect it.
Carol x
tinkycarol is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinkycarol For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (6th October 2009), carolk (6th October 2009)
Old 7th October 2009, 17:13   #2 (permalink)

Turkishcap will become famous soon enough Turkishcap will become famous soon enough
Re: Didim Language School

Hold on Carol we have an apt in Didim I did`nt realise they spoke a different language to the rest of Turkey!

ps cant get smilies to work otherwise one would be on.
Turkishcap is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 17:52   #3 (permalink)
Kalın deriliyimdir

Thanked 1,123 Times in 498 Posts
Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of

Good to hear smething positive Carol.

What did you hosestly think of the lessons you did take apart from the honesty of the owner? I would be interested to hear.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
5 a day inspiration!

tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about tinkycarol has a spectacular aura about

Lyndsey - In May I did 5 day x 2hrs lessons 10am - 12noon for 300tl as my mum came with me (she told the manager/refund man it had to be slow as her brain was 66yrs old and couldn't take it all in - he said it would be good for her & keep Alzhiemers at bay!!). So it was 20tl per hour for a single person or 30tl per hour for a couple (15tl each) I think that was about right -the Voices columnist/translator Asme A...(?) has an ad in Voices newspaper, something like "Gobble Gobble you want to speak Turkish", and her price was 20tl pp or 15tl each.

My one gripe is there was a 10/15 minute break each hour - by 10.45am I was ready for this, started again at 11.00am but then the tutor said break at 11.45am which was a bit cheeky. I suspect the centre booked lessons on the hour and she had her next customer at 12noon. It annoyed me a bit as this made the 10hrs in fact 7.5hrs over the 5 days but we were so hot and knackered we would stagger out and stop for a beer at Roka cafe/bar! Then I missed the last day due to having a bug so I got 6hrs in total but when I think about it I learnt a hell of a lot in 6hrs...it is just remembering it that is the problem!

The tutor was called Gulain Atak, she was about 24yrs old and she'd just finished university. She was starting a teaching job at the university near Akbuk last month hence us booking our lessons in the evening the second time round. Her twin sister also worked there - made a change from the ubiquitous 'brother' who works in every cafe, bar, shop and office.

Gulain was really good but fast but I think my and my mum both had the mindset 'it's going to be hard' and 'it's ok if you live here and can practice each day' etc. I was expecting more coversational stuff like "where's the loo?" and other essentials but we did the basics on the first day - alphabet, numbers, days, greetings etc. We learnt loads of vocabulary and grammer. The grammer has been useful as it's a bit like learning french at school (je, tu, vous - i, you, we, they etc). She explained it really well as you have the stem of the word/verb and then add on the bit at the end for the "people maker" as she called it. In the main there seems to be 4 options for the endings in Turkish (with a few exceptions) - it all seems to do with the last vowel once you have knocked the 'mak' or 'mek' off. It made sense once I got my head round it so it seems a case of practice, practice and practice to drum it in.

I will never be fluent but I can email my Turkish neighbour by looking up the verb in my phrase book/dicitionary then look at my notes and get near enough to what I want to say/type. Plus it gives me a bit of confidence to get off the beaten track and on a dolmus. I find walking around Didim I can read a keyword on a sign and then pathom out/get the gist of the rest so it has helped.

A kind person on here sent me a PDQ Turkish book & CD which is suited to me as a tourist/ holidaymaker - like 'where is the loo?' but if I spend more time in Didim in the future I would definitely look into taking more lessons there especially now I feel the manager is a fair man - but I would put my foot down about the breaks next time.

I have seen articles in Voices where residents were doing longer courses there so there must be members on here who have attended and know of someone.

Hope this helps. Carol x

PS I have to ask is that you in the wedding photo/avatar? I wonder every time I see it.

Last edited by tinkycarol; 7th October 2009 at 21:17.. Reason: spelling error
tinkycarol is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinkycarol For This Useful Post:
Lyndsey (8th October 2009)
Old 8th October 2009, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Kalın deriliyimdir

Thanked 1,123 Times in 498 Posts
Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of Lyndsey has much to be proud of

Wow! That was a brilliant reply. Tanks for taking the time to give me the full info on the pros and cons. I already speak quite a bit of Turkish but like you have metioned i need refinement so it sounds like that part would be good for me.

After you mentioning Ayse and the Gobbledegook advert i am also considering having one to one lessons with her. That way it would be more tailored to me and the areas i need to concentrate on.

I think it must be extremely hard to learn Turkish and not be able to practice it every day like those of us who are here full time. Every credit to you though as i know a lot of people who have not made the effort to learn even the simplest of words in Turkish.

One of the problems i have here is the locals either talk back to me in English when i am trying to speak to them in Turkish or they think i am fluent and i am left saying "pardon?" lol.

I feel bad not having something huge to reply to you with after you made all that effort...

My avatar is of my bridesmaids and i at our reception venue. Been married 18 months now so i guess i should get round to changing it at some point

Tags
didim , language , school