Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 13th September 2006, 09:11   #1 (permalink)

whitediamond is on a distinguished road
Wink Possible move to Altinkum?!

I am thinking of maybe moving to Altinkum in April 2008 for a year or two. I am 24 (by then 26), will probably be going it alone, but need some help!

I work in an estate agents in England as a lettings negotiator for the last 2 and half years and would hope to find work within an estate agents in Altinkum. How possible would this be? I know there are a lot of agents based in Altinkum, but would I require any more experience than i have got? I obviously deal with Lettings in England not Sales. I actually wouldn't mind just sticking to the admin side of things, just something clerical would suffice. If I dont manage to get work within an agency or something similar, I don't think I would be able to make the move.

Any idea what sort of wages are acheivable in this trade?

Do they trade through the winter?

How much does it cost to rent an apartment?

Is it expensive to get Turkish lessons once over there? (It's ridiculously expensive to learn in England)

I have so many questions and want to start early in getting them answered. I will be holidaying in Altinkum again next year to make more enquires, but I feel if I don't take it upon myself to change my life for a while, I will regret it forever!!

I have had a reply to these questions, by someone on a different forum (who i think frequents this site) and told to forget the idea of working over there. Work permits being a huge problem factor. I will have a bulk of money coming with me to oversee rent payments etc, but I truly would prefer to work. It would defeat the whole object of experience otherwise!
Any info appreciated x
Amanda
whitediamond is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 13th September 2006, 09:26   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation
Re: Possible move to Altinkum?!

Hi Amanda and welcome to the forum.

Don't know about the job scene in Turkey but if you search the forum you will find that the topic has been raised (and answered) by others.

One very important piece of advice I can give you is that you should NEVER tell anyone either in Turkey or on a public forum that you have "a bulk of money".

Check out the "Learn a Turkish Word a Day" thread on the Forum where the wonderful ShirleyAnnTr gives practical lessons in Turkish.

Maria.
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 09:37   #3 (permalink)

Pennie will become famous soon enough Pennie will become famous soon enough

Hi Amanda
It is nigh on impossible to get a work permit here, especially in the estate agents area as they are inundated with brits already working.
A lot of brits do work (although mostly illegally) and the average wage is between 5-600ytl a month which compared to UK wages is nothing
As a single person here, you could manage on that if you are careful.
A small apartment in Altinkum will cost you around 250-300 amonth.
Pennie xx
Pennie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
So

So will become famous soon enough So will become famous soon enough

Hi Amanda,

Great idea to move to move to another country for a while!
Generally you will notice that it does not take that much experience to work in an estate agents office. You will learn as you go about buildings, regulations, what's a good builder and who's a pain in the *ss.
Still working without a permit is not recommended eventhough a lot of foreigners do it.

Employing an english speaking and writing person with computer skills, half a working brain and no boy friend is like posessing gold here, so basically i don't think you will have a problem finding work.

When looking for work do not ever think about the money, because everybody can promiss you the world high wages lots and lots of commissions etc., paying up however is often a complete different story.

Also....about moving to another country...Altinkum is great when you've been on holiday. In winter and everyday life however it is completely different. So be prepared for that. In the beginning everything is great, later on there will definately be some hick ups ;-) It can be lonely if you don't speak the language, however there are turkish classes where you learn and have the opportunity to meet new friends.

Renting an apartment does not have to be really expensive. Contact for instance Home Service (they are on the forums here somewhere) they have a large supply of long term rental apartments.

Good luck!!
Old 13th September 2006, 13:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by So
Hi Amanda,

Generally you will notice that it does not take that much experience to work in an estate agents office. You will learn as you go about buildings, regulations, what's a good builder and who's a pain in the *ss.
Still working without a permit is not recommended eventhough a lot of foreigners do it.

Employing an english speaking and writing person with computer skills, half a working brain and no boy friend is like posessing gold here, so basically i don't think you will have a problem finding work.

When looking for work do not ever think about the money, because everybody can promiss you the world high wages lots and lots of commissions etc., paying up however is often a complete different story.

Also....about moving to another country...Altinkum is great when you've been on holiday. In winter and everyday life however it is completely different. So be prepared for that. In the beginning everything is great, later on there will definately be some hick ups ;-) It can be lonely if you don't speak the language, however there are turkish classes where you learn and have the opportunity to meet new friends.

Renting an apartment does not have to be really expensive. Contact for instance Home Service (they are on the forums here somewhere) they have a large supply of long term rental apartments.

Good luck!!
Well thank you very much! I was about to give up the idea with the responses i have been getting here and on another forum. (Although, all are appreciated x)

I have been to altinkum 3 times now, one time being Christmas, so I am aware how quiet (and cold!) it gets. I know a few turkish people in altinkum who work through the summer and a few that live there all year round, so I hope I'd have a bit of company. I also have a few friends in Izmir.

I definately want to learn the language, it's just so expensive to get a tutor in the uk for the amount of hours I would need, to learn a decent amount of the language. Charging 150 for 4 hours tuition.

I would not be going to Altinkum expecting to make loads of money, just enough to live on, without going hungry or sleeping on the streets! If this is possible, then I'm still all for it.

As far as the 'gold dust' bit is concerned, I have very good computer/writing skills, a whole, completely functioning brain and definately no boyfriend, english or otherwise!! haha!

My friend actually has a apartment in Altinkum, but wants to sell it (just waiting for the deeds...Zzzzzzzzzz!). If it doesn't get sold by April '08, then i will have an apartment at a lot cheaper rate, but I'm not counting on it.

Just one other thing...How often to people get caught working illegally in Turkey. One man said to me that you get deported and banned from re-entering for 7 years. That's seems pretty scary to me...big risk! Why do people still do it? You would be constantly looking over your shoulder......

Thanks for your reply again

amanda
whitediamond is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 16:30   #6 (permalink)

Freda will become famous soon enough

I believe its normally 4 years Amanda. Have you thought about maybe sharing an apartment? You may just make friends with someone who is looking to keep their costs down and have fun too!!
Freda is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 18:02   #7 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,027 Posts
KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute

What I said on the other forum is that you can be banned for "up to 7 years" which is the maximum penalty suggested by the people that write the rules.

As for your question about how often people get caught, the answer is irrelevant.

" How lucky do you feel ?"

Last edited by KKOB; 13th September 2006 at 18:06..
KKOB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
-------

Mavi Kuş is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by So
Hi Amanda,

I agree with So on this...you wont have difficulty finding a place to work, people who actually want to work are hard to find in Altinkum (experience speaking ).
But it is near enough impossible to get a work permit...another way of trying (since 2008 is still a bit away) is working via an UK based company, working permit is easier to get that way.
Good luck on what ever you decide !

Mavi Kuş
Mavi Kuş is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 09:18   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all your replies!
whitediamond is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
altinkum , move