Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 8th September 2006, 23:33   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 7,884 Times in 1,942 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please behave!

Agree with you bryn, but there are members who are knowledgeable and helpful but seem to think they are far better then anyone else, juts because of that.

Far more people on this forum are in the category of learners and pretty green, me including, but that does not mean they have to be kicked every time they make a post.
Old 9th September 2006, 01:24   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,607 Posts
parrot has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn
what also brings this forum down are the ıdiots who post nonsense and then complain when its corrected, the people who say they are broad minded and then complain about the sense of humour of others and the people who defend someome for making offensive postings but then complain when its done to them. Heres three basic rules for you 1. if you post crap expect someone to correct it. 2. if you dont like someones humour shrug your shoulders and read something else and 3. dont live in a glass house and throw stones.
Absolutely spot on,well said Bryn,the support for the outragous behaviour of a certain member was unbelievable.Lets get back to what this is about,mainly Turkey,its people,the greater majority of whom are fantastic and life in general.
parrot is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 01:58   #23 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold

Pretty fair comment by both of you, Bryn and Mushtaq.

However Mushtaq, I would say pretty much all of us (native Turks excepted!) are learners when it comes to Turkey, as even those who have been working and living there for several years will admit, they still come across new aspects to expat life on a regular basis.

There is a good knowledge base on this forum which I've taken advantage of when required; maybe if some of Bryn's "idiots" were to accept that and learn from other members this place would have a more chilled atmosphere than recently.

I've had a pretty busy week and haven't posted much although I've watched some of the threads develop. I had a client (Turkish) over for a couple of days and we did a round trip of several online forums, mainly to let him see the different formats and also give him an idea of what folks were discussing.

After reading the content of some threads on here, he asked if everybody in Britain felt that way about people from other countries coming here to live. He was quite genuinely shocked at some folks attitude. What a question to have to answer from a client...

Personally I think you let this particular theme go on too long. The nastiness that eminated from both the threads and a few posters polluted the forum to the extent some members were frightened to post a question for fear of ridicule or attack. It's one thing letting threads develop, but when it detracts from the forums main focus I don't think it does anyone any favours.

JF
Old 9th September 2006, 02:27   #24 (permalink)

beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all

Since joining this forum last September, myself (and my wife) have found these forums informative, entertaining and to some extent, thought provoking. In fact, I read the forum every day (yes, I'm that sad!).
I like reading and contributing to the different threads. I also enjoy reading the different opinions (many I don't agree with) and also the different humour of some of the contributors.
I can honestly say I have never been offended by any members. And I have sent the odd "dumb" post and got a few funny, and even sarcastic replies.
Maybe I'm not that sensitive. I do know that I love the open debate here.
I also know that I love Turkey, and these forums are a joy to be a member of. Thank You.

Last edited by beachhhhhhh; 9th September 2006 at 02:30..
beachhhhhhh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 07:45   #25 (permalink)

Thanked 1,767 Times in 885 Posts
Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of good and controversial topics on here, Ive learnt a lot along the way but I think the one thing that is wrong here is the fact that people get personal. That one thing alone is causing the problems. I think there needs to be more moderators to 'police' the forums not because of topic but because of attitude. There is a triangle icon on the bottom left of all posts whereby you can report bad posts, this could be content but certainly should be when people get personal. Maybe we should start using that to highlight the problem people. This will alert admin/moderators. Perhaps Mushtaq should make this a sticky on all sections?

Someone needs to make a change because things have got worse during the last month.

Last edited by Martyn; 9th September 2006 at 08:30..
Martyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 07:51   #26 (permalink)
No Clique just Creak

flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold

That Is why lots of us dont post on here. Not for fear of ridicule ( bring it on you f****rs) but because we dont wish to associate with the clingy brit pack. I for one will move to Turkey in 6 years ( divorce settlement allowing LOL) and have no wish to join the Brit Pack in my area ( Koycegiz) or any other. My dream is live a simple life with friends I have made over the years, NOT joining an ex pat brigade playing bingo , drinking and eating out 4 or 5 times a week ( although after the last 8 months I defy anybody to drink me under the table lol). Its about everybodys individual dream , what they want out of life , there is no right or wrong way of living, everybody is an individual and entitled to ther own opinion. Whats good for some is bad for others.Your views are your views and I respect them BUT I dont have to agree with them. It is precisely what has happened over the last few months on here that I wish to get away from. You are sad people that have nothing better to do than decry other peoples dreams with your I know attitude ( remember you were once yourself in our shoes), allow us our dreams and let us make our mistakes or not as the case may be.If I offend you then I am not sorry because I am ME not YOU I will live my life as I choose Not as you suggest.( amazing what you can write after a 12 hour night shift and half a bottle of brandy lol).Remember everybody is an individual with there own agenda and although your comments are appreciated they are not always acted upon. ( you dont rule the roost when decisions are taken) Whats right for you isnt right for me. REPLY if you dont like it ( bring it on)
flowerpotman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 08:28   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute

I think Martyn has hit the nail on the head, the problems occur when members get personal, and try to show off with their own superior knowledge.

I would suggest that if our more knowledgeable members don't agree with something or someone has posted incorrect information, then supply correct information and guide them, don't try to show them off as an idiot, because that does not help anyone.

Maybe more use of the Triangle icon is needed to stop fights developing into wars?
Old 9th September 2006, 09:30   #28 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation

There seem to be a few rival cliques on the forum that like to get in a few digs at each other but that's life and all human life is here on the forum. Lively debate is healthy and it is interesting to read various people's opinions on whatever subject. TLF would be a very dull forum if it was confined to question and answer sessions about real estate and places to eat out.

My gripe is that a member who doesn't seem to be part of any clique was subjected to abuse just because he disagreed with a post and the moderators didn't call a halt to the abuse. Any one of us could be subjected to the same abuse unless that kind of personal attack is nipped in the bud.

Maria.
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 21:56   #29 (permalink)

Thanked 5,312 Times in 2,140 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation

I must admit originally my wife and I took any criticism very ungraciously and very much to heart!
This forum is lively and interesting but there is a life outside it and nobody should let it affect or control their lives that much as when you think about it you are merely sending text to people you dont really know at first.

Later you get a chance to meet people from the forum and if not,you learn how they tick from the gist of their messages over a period of time which makes for a more interesting relationship with them as people.
This lifts the forum away from the anonymous "chatroom" mentality and you then begin to trust the information given.
It has taken us 9 months to get to that stage and the forum is nicer as a result!
Thank you everybody
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 12:01   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

I thought it was time this thread was resurrected, some threads recently have been getting personal and I think this puts a lot of new comers from posting because they might feel they will get jumped.

Lot of people come on to the forum for 1st time and don't know the rules or forum etiquette, it's our job to welcome and guide them without being critical, so please keep in mind we are newbies at the beginning, give other a chance to become experts too.

Tags
behave