FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Antalya Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2008, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
Leo

Thanked 1,045 Times in 363 Posts
Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of
Advice about Mobile phone

Hi all,

The family & I are going out to Side week after next. As we are going to do furniture shopping for our new apartment, and as we will be spending quite some time there at different times through the year I thought it would be really handy to have a mobile phone - especially as calls on my UK phone are very expensive.

Anybody got any good experiences and advice. Seems to me that there are a couple of options:-

1. We could purchase a new Turkish pay-as-you-go phone
2. We could purchase a new Turkish pay-as-you-go SIM card and put it in my UK phone (if it will work).

What I could do with is information about costs, coverage and how/where to buy:-

Do they have pay-as-you-go in Turkey
What are the advantages of the different networks.
Will a Turkish SIM work in a UK phone, if not is it cheap to buy a Turkish pay-as-you-go phone and SIM combination.
What is the cost of a top-up.
Where can I purchase phone &/or SIM. Where can I top-up.

I know I have asked a few questions recently, and we are all really grateful for your collective support and advice.

Finally, if there are any of you about between Sat 29th March and Fri 4th April ad you fancy a drink, nosh & chat then let me know and lets try to catch-up.

Cheers all

Leo & Sharon
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 15th March 2008, 15:49   #2 (permalink)
RIK

RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice
Re: Advice about Mobile phone

Hi Leo.If you use your UK. Phone with a Turkish Sim for longer than 2 weeks then it will get blocked. Buy a cheap nokia here 69 YTL and usually you can buy the Number and some Konturs from the same place.

Ian
Old 15th March 2008, 17:15   #3 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

cheap nokia . yes and dont forget your passport. and if you ask them they can open it up so you can top up in uk with a scratchcard [ if you bring one back with you .] i dont know who they spoke to ,but although i cant make calls with my turkish [cheap nokia ] i can do *123* enter card top up num then hash then yes and kontors are then added then *123 hash to check units on phone .
biggles is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 18:01   #4 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

ALL this information can be found in other threads on the forum. Do a search!!
Everything has been covered..

1. We could purchase a new Turkish pay-as-you-go phone Yes -cheap as chips
2. We could purchase a new Turkish pay-as-you-go SIM card and put it in my UK phone (if it will work). Yes, need to register the UK phone at Nokia centre (see threads) or it'll stop working

What I could do with is information about costs, coverage and how/where to buy:- Turkcell shop or big supermarket-buy vouchers anywhere-coverage good..

Do they have pay-as-you-go in Turkey Turkcell or Vodaphone
What are the advantages of the different networks. Turkcell commonest
Will a Turkish SIM work in a UK phone, if not is it cheap to buy a Turkish pay-as-you-go phone and SIM combination. Yes, see above
What is the cost of a top-up. Depends - i buy 100 unit cards(units called "Kontours")
Where can I purchase phone &/or SIM. Where can I top-up.
You are repeating yourself a lot!

I use Turkcell cheapy fone but will register my UK Sony Ericson next time (to use with the Turkcell SIMM) because my Sony Ericsson has GPRS capability (to get Internet on my Laptop)

As I say - look through forum for all these answers.
Search for "Mobile phone"
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 18:28   #5 (permalink)

Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
cheap nokia . yes and dont forget your passport. and if you ask them they can open it up so you can top up in uk with a scratchcard [ if you bring one back with you .] i dont know who they spoke to ,but although i cant make calls with my turkish [cheap nokia ] i can do *123* enter card top up num then hash then yes and kontors are then added then *123 hash to check units on phone .
Hi Biggles
What do you mean by "open it up"
I have a cheap Nokia which I bought at Turkcell by Bodrum Marina.
I have not topped it up with credit for over 6 months.
I am going to Turkcell again when I visit in April buy a new
SIM card get a new mobile number(unfortunatly)
So I will have to ask them to "open it up" to be able to go back to England(with a top-up scratch card) use MY TURKISH MOBILE, phone *123* enter card top-up numbers etc. etc. as you have explained above.
Is this corrrect? Tesekkur ederim
Sweetnighter is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
biggles

biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold biggles is a splendid one to behold

yes , as before i got them to do it a could not put the nums on the phone in the uk . you need someone [turkish] in the shop to speak to turkcell payg cust svs dept .then they open [or activate it ] in such a way that you can do asi do when in uk . it saves you losing your number if you dont return to turkey within 6 months . i always bring back with me 2 100 kontor scratch cards [ i have 2 turkish mobiles ] then i keep track of whwn i last used the mopbiles and i top up with the scratch cards before the 6 month deadline [ie winter when sometimes we dont go back for 6 months . ] as you said you have to get a new sim [new num] but if you had this system in place you can always keep same num. hope this is clear . i also bought mine at bodrum marina turkcell shop . if you get a problem then i know a little shop in yalikavak that will do it for you ,ansd as long as you buy a top up card he will do it for free .

Last edited by biggles; 15th March 2008 at 19:05..
Old 15th March 2008, 19:59   #7 (permalink)

Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
yes , as before i got them to do it a could not put the nums on the phone in the uk . you need someone [turkish] in the shop to speak to turkcell payg cust svs dept .then they open [or activate it ] in such a way that you can do asi do when in uk . it saves you losing your number if you dont return to turkey within 6 months . i always bring back with me 2 100 kontor scratch cards [ i have 2 turkish mobiles ] then i keep track of whwn i last used the mopbiles and i top up with the scratch cards before the 6 month deadline [ie winter when sometimes we dont go back for 6 months . ] as you said you have to get a new sim [new num] but if you had this system in place you can always keep same num. hope this is clear . i also bought mine at bodrum marina turkcell shop . if you get a problem then i know a little shop in yalikavak that will do it for you ,ansd as long as you buy a top up card he will do it for free .
Hi again Biggles Thanks again for your help with this.
So I can do it all in Yalikavak(I have an apart there) Get new SIM etc.etc.
Where is the shop?
Sweetnighter is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 23:20   #8 (permalink)
lifes a beach

cheeky chops will become famous soon enough cheeky chops will become famous soon enough

Quote:

hi biggles
i have opened my phone . we discussed at lenght similar mobile phone service problems last sept .? turkcell customer services told me that this 123 service did not work from uk . have you topped up in this way since the last debate sept 07 let me know as mine still is not allowing this even though i have activated roaming .but i can top up on phone to cust services with top up voucher from uk as i bought 2 scratchcards back

it is important for all to remember it is 90 days from activation for outgoing calls to be stopped 180 days for incoming calls and 210 days from activation before being cut off completely not 6 months this could cause problems being a day or so out

my phone will phone and text out from uk and recieve calls and texts also

you did say that you had phoned them at the time regarding using bank card that it had to be turkish
another thing
"i changed the language on my first turkcell sim 3 years ago ." is what you told me in a previous post
we both discussed recieving messages in english i set this up online only to recieve the next messages in turkish.
what did you do exactly can you let me know.as i am not fluent in turkish , i can work out that it tells me how many kontors ive used
cheeky chops

Last edited by cheeky chops; 15th March 2008 at 23:31..
cheeky chops is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 09:36   #9 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

I hope some of this may help some people:

To call Turkcell Customer Care on: +90 212 4440532 from UK.

LOADING CREDIT ON PAYG:
- If you dont load Kontors for 90 days, outgoing calls are barred.
(when abroad you can still receive calls).
- If you dont load Kontors for 180 days, SIMM will be barred for incoming calls.
- If you dont load Kontors for (210 days), your line will be disconnected.
BUT YOU WILL NOT LOSE ANY EXISTING CREDITS!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOADING UNITS from the UK:
To check how many units you have type *123# and send.

If you have Kontor card dial *122*[the number on the counter card]#, or call 8090 to load units. (you can call 8090 if you choose an operator that supports Camel Tecnology and it costs 20 units. Just under 6 months later, put the kontors on in the UK - therefore saving losing your number. As long as you make a call in Turkey within 6 months on a UK mobile then you will keep the number, but you still have to top up before the 6 months is up even if you make a call.

To load units with 16-digit Credit card, subscribe to 'Kontor Hattı' service.
Call +90 532 755 888 to subscribe (27 YTL a year)

To load Units with Internet banks: Garanti Bank, Yapı Kredi Bank, Denizbank, HSBC Bank and Asya Finans, too.

To load units using 'Online Services' center (Turkcell website) with a Credit card using our '3D secure password'. (Akbank, İş Bank, Garanti Bank, HSBC, İş Bank, TekstilBank and VakıfBank only)
================================================== ==============
Registering a UK Mobile Phone in Turkey:

Your mobile from UK must be registered to be used in Turkey.
To do this, you must apply 'Turkcell Extras' with your PASSPORT and a PETITION including the IMEI number of your handset.
(a copy of the page that includes entry-exit dates and identity information of your passport is needed)
If you are going to stay in Turkey temporary and want your phone to be activated for temporary, for registration, your passport, subscription contract and petition (including the IMEI number of the phone) are needed.
It is only necessary to pay a process to the dealer, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO PAY CUSTOMS ASSESSMENT.
The phone handset can be used only with one line when it is registered for temporary.

The contraband mobile phones should be registered until the end of October and as of December 13, 2005 unregistered phones will be blocked.
In order to learn whether your phone is contraband or not do the following:

1. Visit the web site http://imei.tk.gov.tr. The IMEI Sorgulama (IMEI Inquiry) page appears. Type your 15-digit IMEI number (*#06#) into the box, then press "Sorgula" key. (Sometimes 2 more numbers appear together with the IMEI numbe -take no notice)

2. The situation of your phone appears below if it reads "Kayıtlı" (Registered), it means there is no problem.
If it reads "Bulunamadı" (not found) this means you should register your phone to Turk Telecom by paying 5 YTL.
If you neglect to take this action first you get a warning message and then your phone will be blocked on December 13th.
From then on you cannot use it within Turkish borders.
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 11:29   #10 (permalink)
biggles

well i tried today to top up using the *123* system and it would not let me do it . so i called the turkcell 0090 num and when the call connects it says [for english ]press [ i could not understand what it said to press ,so i hung on for ages getting various automated msgs in turkish untill i got a real live turkcell operator ,i said english lutfen ,and after a short pause the guy spoke to me in english . turns out i can nol onger top up myself ,but he asked me for my turkcell num ,asked my name then he took my scratchcard num and lo and behold i dialled * 123hash and the units appeared on y mob. its no hassle as its a free call through voipwise anyway ,but if anyone knows what the prefix is for english when you get through please tell me ,or otherwise just hang on till you get a live operator and just say english lutfen . anyway i am now topped up ready for may . this line will also tell you the date you must top up to avoid losing the num [ if you have forgotten ].

Tags
advice , mobile , phone