Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 12th November 2017, 16:32   #1 (permalink)

geoffpogue is on a distinguished road
Importing furniture

Hi

We have shipped a 40ft container to Antalya where I now have ti get through Customs. I was approaxhed by a Customs Officer who has told me the process will take 3 days and is seeking $900 for the privilige of doing my paperwork, etc. I believe Customs Officers are sub contracted by the Govt but am guessing that I am getting my eye wiped. Has anyone any experience of such matters. Any advice would be welcome. Thx.
geoffpogue is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 12th November 2017, 18:45   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,557 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing furniture

Our neighbours were told in that the max value of personal furniture and household goods (not electrical) they could import from USA was $7500. They had a duty bill on excess but I dont know the details.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 23:51   #3 (permalink)

trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold trevoro is a splendid one to behold

I think there has been threads on this subject in the past and I think for the most people who were far more knowledgeable than me was.Buy in Turkety its to expensive to import ie cost of transport and then taxes,I believe other posters have said taxes can be extortionate
trevoro is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2017, 23:57   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 7,388 Times in 3,046 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
process will take 3 days and is seeking $900 for the privilige of doing my paperwork
Is it then tax on top of that?

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 04:31   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 6,894 Times in 2,510 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

If in doubt, get a Customs Agent to act for you. I think you feel you are being cheated*. If you have Residency, and an address, you can show the items are for personal use. Duty on second hand goods is negligible, but they do have special duties/taxes on particular items and electrical goods can be higher than you might like.

There has been a rule change since I brought my stuff over (so check), but make sure you do not have to keep re-registering the imports every few years, as was the case when I first came.

Ian

* if you are being cheated, at least he should do it one day for that money!

Last edited by immac; 13th November 2017 at 05:10..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 06:19   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Ian

We have a Customs agent but he found us rather than other way round. It may work out but it initially appeared to be $50 for this $100 for that, etc. We have only used furniture and a few electricals so will keep our fingers crossed. Just dont want a bill for several grand. Will post when we know the outcome to assist others. Fingers crossed 😊
geoffpogue is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffpogue For This Useful Post:
Leo (13th November 2017)
Old 13th November 2017, 07:27   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,309 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that you tell them you want an itemised receipt for any money that you pay. this should keep the scamming down.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:31   #8 (permalink)

Sceptre will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoro View Post
Buy in Turkety its to expensive to import ie cost of transport and then taxes,I believe other posters have said taxes can be extortionate
Good advise, but a bit late now for Geoff.
Sceptre is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 18:38   #9 (permalink)

Hi guys

Just thought it beneficial to update the forum. Customs took two days in total to clear. We paid our Customs Agent 680. It appears from what I can gather that there are approx only 4000 of them for the entire country. They appear to be licensed to work independently for the customer to assist in the importation and taxation process. Our guy Coskun was wonderful. He had reasonable but not great english however this was suffice for our needs.

Day one took just an hour of our time. After that he did all his paperwork, etc. Day 2 consisted of a search of the container by Customs and Narcotics officers including dogs. They X-rayed the container and then THOROUGHLY searched it. We are talking 4 guys pulling out every item and box for 2 Customs Officers who searched every box by hand. Whether this was due to the discovery of 'organic material' in the X-Ray, which turned out to be spices brought from home we are not sure. But bringing any alcohol, foodstuffs or plant material is an ABSOLUTE no-no. We were told without our discovery that the X-Ray may have been sufficient but these guys miss nothing, very, very thorough. We had to pay an additional 300 for administration, storage costs, etc, which was all above board. My advice would be to get yourself a Customs Officer in advance so you can start the process on arrival of the container. We paid $36 a day for storage including over a weekend which was beyond our control.

In all it wasn't as bad an experience as I had expected. It cost us 3250 to ship a 40ft container from our house in Northern Ireland to our door in Turkey. An additional 1000 as stated for customs has allowed us to bring the entire contents of our home including lawnmower, etc, etc. This was definitely cheaper for us given the amount of furniture but more importantly personal possessions we had. Buying new out here is fine if you just want a holiday home but if you are starting a new life here then take the leap. Like all things Turkish, it's bureaucratic, often frustrating but ultimately satisfying. We did not encounter any corruption and everyone was as helpful as they could possibly have been.

Hope this assists and if anyone wishes to speak to me personally about doing this themselves then please feel free to private message me on FB Messenger. I would highly recommend Coskun and can put you in touch if you wish.

Regards and thank you to everyone whose comments assisted us.

Geoff & Lorraine 😊
geoffpogue is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geoffpogue For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (17th November 2017), immac (17th November 2017), Leo (16th November 2017)
Old 17th November 2017, 03:22   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 6,894 Times in 2,510 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see some up to date figures. Thank you.

I have always been of the opinion that you should bring your own "stuff". It certainly helped me in relocating to have things around me that I had gathered over the years. Once you have paid for a container the extra costs are minimal as it is volume that you are paying for rather than weight.

Financially, and looking at choices of available furniture and equipment here, it makes sense to move everything you want to keep. If I was doing it again I would bring more, not less.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (17th November 2017), Sceptre (17th November 2017)

Tags
furniture , importing