Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question

View Poll Results: When do you think Turkey will gain full entry to the EU?
2007-2010 7 13.73%
2011-2014 22 43.14%
2015-2018 15 29.41%
2019-2022 1 1.96%
2023 plus 0 0%
Never 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2005, 15:29   #1 (permalink)
Non Active Member

merlin will become famous soon enough
Turkey EU Dreams.... Doubts Raised v Hopes Mounting....

Extract from Zaman News Agency....

Messages coming from members of the European Union (EU), which has undergone a critical process following the European Constitution rejection in France and The Netherlands, paved the way for interpretations suggesting that Turkey's dreams are fading and doubts about them in the West are increasing.

British newspaper, The Guardian focused on the EU foreign ministers meeting on Monday in which expressions of some views regarding the greatest damage by the referenda results was towards Turkey. The Guardian's article asserted that France has held off its 40-year hopes for Turkish accession to the Union. Another British newspaper, The Financial Times claimed that the foreign minister's meeting has increased doubts about Turkey's EU membership. The Independent also wrote that whether or not Turkey will begin negotiations has been blurred by "controversial statements" issued by Paris.

Elsewhere in Germany, Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer has warned, the EU might "shut the doors" on Turkey; however, this could come at a tremendous cost. An alternative option for Turkey to become a Western society according to Fisher poses either a "crises or worse". Another warning came from the EU Commission member Gunter Verheugen that Turkey's membership should not be turned into an issue. This would be a betrayal of the promises given to Turkey, he
said.

merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 17th June 2005, 01:43   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Merkel vows to oppose Turkey's bid....

Speaking in the German parliament Thursday, CDU leader Angel Merkel said she will stand by her position that it would be better for the EU to offer Turkey a privileged partnership arrangement rather than full membership.

“We will not renounce our position and will continue to repeat that negotiations for a privileged partnership are the best option for integrating Turkey in Europe,” Merkel said.

The fact that Turkey had still not established diplomatic relations with Armenia or the Greek Cypriot administered south of Cyprus, which is a member of the EU, was a catastrophic situation, the CDU leader said.

Merv!
merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 22:27   #3 (permalink)

blonder is on a distinguished road
If Turkey joins the EU

I really want to come out and live the dream (like Merlin) but i also feel that i would want to work after a while .When ...If ...Turkey joins the EU will it become the same rules as other EU countries for work .I would really like to know your thoughts on this as I realize that work is extremly difficult to get hold of at the moment and foreigners can only do certain jobs ,i have no real skills (having been a production worker at Rover cars )and Im told i can only start a business with a Turkish partner
yours worried but optimistic,,, Andy.
blonder is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:07   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Andy,

If and when Turkey becomes a full EEC participating member, then they will have reciprocal arrangements in place for working visas.

Starting any new business can be difficult and fraught with problems, moreso in a country where the framework for new ventures is filled with red tape and nepotism.

Life in Turkey is not all a bed of roses and there are very few Brits that I know who have made a successful business in Turkey based solely on tourism.

The summer window of opportunity is getting smaller - this year in Altinkum alone, bar owners and restaurants were not expecting the major inflow of tourists to the area until June 15.

Typically, the season slows down rapidly after the first week in Spetember therefore this gives you around 11 weeks to make a return on your investment.

The changes in schooling rules in the UK, where you cannot take children out of school "in-term" has also dealt a major blow to tourism in general.

If you had enough savings, the ideal solution would be to move to Turkey and live on your capital, learn the language and do local research and find a niche business opportunity that doesnt clash with everyone else.

I understand for some people, myself included, when people move here, they still want to do some sort of work however, there is a big difference between running a business for fun and running one for financial dependency.

Merv!
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:28   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

ROME (Reuters) - Turkey has no chance of joining the European Union in the foreseeable future, former European Commission President Romano Prodi said in newspapers on Wednesday.

The comments from the man who opened the way for Turkish membership last October when he recommended starting accession talks with Ankara, show political attitudes have changed since the French and Dutch votes against the EU constitution. "We need a re-think," Prodi told regional daily Il Gazzettino. "The referendums have rung a loud alarm on Turkey ... I believe that the conditions now are no longer there for Turkey's entry in the short or medium term."

"The real problem is Turkey," he added.

In France and the Netherlands, "No" campaigners cited the recent EU expansion and the possible admission of Turkey among reasons to vote against the new constitution, even though the document itself would not change the enlargement process.

Prodi, now leader of Italy's centre-left opposition, implied many Italians had an emotional fear of Turkey, a populous and predominantly Muslim country on the edge of mostly Christian Europe. "I come from a country where my mother, when she wanted to say something scary, would say: 'The Turks are coming'."

A spokesman for Prodi said his position was that a slow-down in enlargement was not his wish but was now politically unavoidable.

Nonetheless, Prodi's position marks a clear difference with Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who supports Turkey's EU entry despite opposition from many in his centre-right government.

Reforms Minister Roberto Calderoli, a member of the euro-sceptic Northern League party, congratulated Prodi for what he viewed as a change of heart.

"Better late than never. Finally even he has realised Turkey must stay out," Calderoli told the Corriere della Sera daily.
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:38   #6 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Pope's reiterates skepticism on Turkey's EU bid

ROME - Pope Benedict XVI reiterates his skepticism on Turkey's European Union membership in his first book published since his inauguration.

Former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger's views are set down in "The Europe of Benedict, in the crisis of cultures," which was presented in a ceremony Tuesday. The 152-page book, sections of which were made available to the press, contains material first written in 1992 and updated as recently as early this year, shortly before Benedict's election to the papacy, according to the Cantagalli publishing house.

According to Italian news agency Apcom, the pope invites people to rethink Turkey's EU membership. The pope described Turkey's position by saying, "Turkey is a state affected by Islamic culture, and it lacks Christian roots."

"Ataturk tried to change Turkey into a secular state in order to adopt the Christian secularism found in Europe," the pope said, adding, "European identity can only be determined by the norms and content of the similar enlightened cultures. All the states that can adopt these criteria could be European."

Last August, while still a cardinal, Ratzinger said in an interview, "Turkey always represented another continent throughout history, in permanent contrast with Europe," so to equate the two continents "would be a mistake."

The New Anatolian, 23 June 2005
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:54   #7 (permalink)

Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice
I wonder sometimes whether it would be wise to join in a devided "Union" in times of such turmoil. I think that Turkey knows it will not get in in in the near future and is therefore working on its ties with all camps. We dont even know if there will be anything to get into!!

Only last week the Turkish Priminister was asking for closer ties with Turkey and the Arab world, I think they understand the fortunate position they are in (in the medium to long term) as the bridge between the "Arab" and "Western" World.

Yes in the Short term EU I think would be good for Turkey and us forum memebers as it would bring in Large investment and EU Grants, Sort out the population void of 15-25 year olds in the rest of the EU and allow us to Work in Turkey and capitalise on the values of our properties going up in value.

Their economy is getting stronger and slowly but surely it seems that they are getting their house in order. They will soon have the most important oil pipelines from Russia and Middle East running through their land and are in a possition to capitalise on this Gateway position.

Just my 2p worth, hopefully nothing too contrevetial in there.

Marc
Marc is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 03:27   #8 (permalink)

blonder is on a distinguished road
Many thanks merv , your knowledge of Turkey is invaluable to the likes of myself . I feel daft and soooo green .However I,m not a quitter and I,m still flying out to look at properties in and around Tinky.going to Gran Canariaon 11th july (booked last year) but will be in touch with yourself and others to pick your brains again nearer the date. Hope you dont mind ,
Many thanks Andy and Jane

blonder is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 17:37   #9 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Arrow What if?

What if France puts its foot down? Just eight weeks before the long-awaited launch of Turkey's European Union entry talks, the question is haunting Ankara and fanning fears of a crisis.

What if French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin really meant it when he said Turkey must recognise Cyprus before the talks start on October 3? What if France, backed perhaps by Cyprus and other Turkey-sceptical EU states, vetoes the negotiations?

Britain, which holds the EU's rotating presidency, and the European Commission, the bloc's executive body, say Turkey has done all it was required to do for the talks to start on time.

But anxiety is growing and the stakes could not be higher.

"There is confusion. We are still waiting for an explanation (from France)," said a Turkish diplomat, adding that Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul may travel to some EU capitals this month.

Gloom is growing among political analysts and economists.

"I believe the French are serious (about vetoing Turkey)... And Cyprus is gambling that Turkey is ready to make further concessions because delaying EU talks could trigger an economic crisis here," said Hasan Unal of Ankara's Bilkent University.

With French officials on summer vacation, Turkey may have to wait until at least August 24 -- when EU envoys in Brussels are due to discuss Turkey -- for clarification and more probably until Sept 1-2, when EU foreign ministers meet in Wales.

Turkey, backed by Britain and the Commission, insists it has cleared the final hurdle for the start of talks by signing a protocol late last month extending its customs union with the EU to include new members, including Cyprus.

CYPRUS FACTOR

But Ankara annoyed some EU member states by also issuing a declaration making clear the signing did not mean it now recognised the Greek Cypriot government, viewed by the EU as the sole legitimate representative of the island of Cyprus.

Turkey backs breakaway Turkish Cypriots in northern Cyprus.

Ankara says recognition can only follow a comprehensive peace accord for the island, split on ethnic lines since Turkey invaded in 1974 after a Greek Cypriot coup backed by Greece.

Cyprus is a highly emotive issue in Turkey and many analysts say Turkey is ready to abandon its decades-old EU drive if the bloc, reneging on earlier commitments, insists on Ankara's immediate recognition of the Greek Cypriot administration.

"If Cyprus recognition is made a condition for the talks, Turkey will refuse," said Dogu Ergil of the TOSAM think-tank.

"Turkey will drift away from Europe... For most Turks, the EU's behaviour smacks of double standards," said Ergil.

Turkish decision-makers appear increasingly convinced that the EU drive will be delayed, or at least "should not be pursued with such rigour by Ankara because the eventual outcome is too uncertain," said Suat Kiniklioglu of the German Marshall Fund.

Last week's resignation of Murat Sungar as head of Turkey's Secretariat-General for EU affairs reflects concerns that Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government is no longer seriously committed to the EU process, analysts said.

Sungar, a veteran career diplomat, cited personal reasons for his decision, but analysts said he had been frustrated by slow progress in Turkey's preparations for the October 3 talks.

EU ANCHOR

Investors have so far been remarkably sanguine about Turkey's EU headache, pushing the lira currency and asset prices to fresh highs in recent weeks. But economists say any serious threat to the October 3 start date would spark heavy selling.

Simon Quijano-Evans, an emerging markets analyst at Bank Austria Creditanstalt, said the EU provided the main anchor for Turkish economic policy, along with the International Monetary Fund, which this year agreed a new $10 billion (5.6 billion pound) loan programme.

"We would expect a negative reaction from the markets to any postponement of EU talks. Foreign investors would see it as a risk to the reform process. The government would then have to show clearly it remained committed to economic reform," he said.

Bilkent's Unal, a prominent Eurosceptic, said the government had little room for manoeuvre after investing so much in the EU.

"We will have a financial crisis, one way or another. Lots of the hot money flowing into Turkey right now could leave very quickly. The Greek Cypriots know all this and are playing for maximum concessions," said Unal.

Merv!
Old 10th August 2005, 18:10   #10 (permalink)
So

So will become famous soon enough So will become famous soon enough
Re: Turkey's EU Dream Fades.... Doubts Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The pope described Turkey's position by saying, "Turkey is a state affected by Islamic culture, and it lacks Christian roots."

"Ataturk tried to change Turkey into a secular state in order to adopt the Christian secularism found in Europe," the pope said, adding, "European identity can only be determined by the norms and content of the similar enlightened cultures.
The Dutch voted 'no' out of fear of losing identity and to voice out to Prime Minister Harry Potter that he needs to start listening in stead of sucking up to the big bosses.

Furthermore, if the pope joking or what?? 'affected by Islamic culture' 'similar enlightened cultures' come on!!!

Tags
doubts , dreams , hopes , mounting , raised , turkey