Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:49   #1 (permalink)
Earth Laughs in Flowers..

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice
Recycling/being Green in Turkey

Hi

I have seen a couple of threads on recycling in Turkey but none really answer my questions.

I try to do my bit we have bins at the end of our streets for plastic, glass paper etc and I try to conserve energy in the home buy using cold water when I can, keeping power usage down etc, its also great for saving costs.

We also have our trolley for the market and use re useable bags which we get from Migros but still get stared when we use them!

1. How do you recycling in Turkey does your area have facilities etc?

2. Do you do anything to help save energy and water etc in your home and what do you do?

3. The people you see on the streets that collect the rubbish from the bins does anyone know who buys this from them and what is done with it. Obviously the scrap man takes the metal away for reuse but what about the plastics etc

4. Have you seen any green products for sale in like cleaning products etc?

A lot of questions sorry, just really interests me and I have struggled to find good information on the internet or local to us.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being me......

Earth Laughs in Flowers my blog www.earthlaughsinflowers.info
raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:05   #2 (permalink)
Kipper restorer

Thanked 17,196 Times in 7,402 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recycling/being Green in Turkey

For the main people in Turkey would not understand re cycling for any other reason than scrap value or cash deposits on bottles, green is just another colour to them.
Plastic bottles? side of the road or in the sea.
Use cold water? solar is free why use cold?
Save water? why? is there a shortage? Why brush when you can hose down that path.
Save electricity, the average consumption in a Turkish house is tiny compared to northern countries, too expensive and not the same heating needs.

Turks cant see things thru western eyes, so the road is lined with litter, why is it a problem?
And yet leave someting you no longer want alongside the bins a , hey presto, its gone.
Turks are great recyclers on an individual rather than a commercial basis and its done for economic reasons not enviromental.
Ask a Turk about their carbon hoofprint and watch the confused look appear.

Gibi Türkiye'de hayat
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:51   #3 (permalink)

AntalyaIstanbul has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Hi

I have seen a couple of threads on recycling in Turkey but none really answer my questions.

I try to do my bit we have bins at the end of our streets for plastic, glass paper etc and I try to conserve energy in the home buy using cold water when I can, keeping power usage down etc, its also great for saving costs.

We also have our trolley for the market and use re useable bags which we get from Migros but still get stared when we use them!

1. How do you recycling in Turkey does your area have facilities etc?

2. Do you do anything to help save energy and water etc in your home and what do you do?

3. The people you see on the streets that collect the rubbish from the bins does anyone know who buys this from them and what is done with it. Obviously the scrap man takes the metal away for reuse but what about the plastics etc

4. Have you seen any green products for sale in like cleaning products etc?

A lot of questions sorry, just really interests me and I have struggled to find good information on the internet or local to us.

1. In my area belediye have a recycling program. Wastes are collecting separately and there are alot of recycling facilities in Istanbul and other cities. In front of each building have a recycle bin. My belediye implement the program with ÇEVKO. All of Istanbul wastes are not collecting separately but they separating in facilities. Istanbul facilities have EU standarts. In my area plastic bags banned.

2. I always collecting all wastes and batteries separately.

3. Scrap dealers buys from them.

4. I have seen Migros look Turmepa products.
AntalyaIstanbul is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:07   #4 (permalink)
Warren

Thanked 1,048 Times in 406 Posts
butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of butt007 has much to be proud of

Yes , the Turks generaly speaking haven't a clue what re-cycling is, all rubbish is simply dumped, you only have to go a few miles out of town in the hills to see it dumped over the edge of the road, concrete slabs, old mattreses, and loads of plastic stuff.

And yes, the old guys on their bikes and trailers come round our street bins looking for plastic etc, I presume they hoard it till they have a lorry load say, then flog it.

Even our site gardener does it.....our toaster refused to work anymore a couple of days ago so put it in our rubbish bag ready to take down later, when wifey picked up the bag he had taken taken it out, he's done this before with other(unfixable) things so perhaps that is recycling.

It seems turkish people have no regard for the environment itself yet keep the inside of their homes immaculate but around the outside are heaps of rubbish.
Warren
butt007 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:22   #5 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,951 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

As for cutting down on their electricity consumption - a few years back I had to queue to pay my bill at Tedas along with all the other residents. Mostly the Turkish peoples' bills were around the 10 - 20 lira mark, whilst mine, although fairly careful, was always in the 100's.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:03   #6 (permalink)

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt007 View Post
Yes , the Turks generaly speaking haven't a clue what re-cycling is, all rubbish is simply dumped, you only have to go a few miles out of town in the hills to see it dumped over the edge of the road, concrete slabs, old mattreses, and loads of plastic stuff.
I have seen plenty of this in the UK as well not just a Turkish problem.

As for Turks and recycling I think like a post I seen the other week about the older generation and being green they are more economic than we are also reuse. I always blush when I put my daily bin out to see my neighbour or my Mother in Law with a tiny little amount and my medium size bag and that's being careful.

I agree Harem when we collected our gas bill from the pill during the winter ours was one of the highest. My neighbours tend to live in the smallest room during the winter to conserve heat and money.

Thanks Antalya Istanbul will have a look in Migros we also have the recycle bins, we are only 2 hours from Istanbul so our stuff must go to the same places.

We are just to used to a throw away society now.

I wonder Mollag and Butt 007 what you both do for recycling?

Mollag we don't have solar here gas and electric and stoves around here so we have to be careful with what we use.

raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:06   #7 (permalink)

AntalyaIstanbul has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I have seen plenty of this in the UK as well not just a Turkish problem.

As for Turks and recycling I think like a post I seen the other week about the older generation and being green they are more economic than we are also reuse. I always blush when I put my daily bin out to see my neighbour or my Mother in Law with a tiny little amount and my medium size bag and that's being careful.

I agree Harem when we collected our gas bill from the pill during the winter ours was one of the highest. My neighbours tend to live in the smallest room during the winter to conserve heat and money.

Thanks Antalya Istanbul will have a look in Migros we also have the recycle bins, we are only 2 hours from Istanbul so our stuff must go to the same places.

We are just to used to a throw away society now.

I wonder Mollag and Butt 007 what you both do for recycling?

Mollag we don't have solar here gas and electric and stoves around here so we have to be careful with what we use.
Turmepa products: Turmepa

If you don't find green production my sıggestion you can use ''sirke'' or ''arap sabunu'' for green cleaning and these are very economic.

If you want you can find solar heater in Istanbul and you can contact with belediye for about recycling program. I interested where are you?

Last edited by AntalyaIstanbul; 2nd June 2011 at 23:08..
AntalyaIstanbul is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 06:23   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the link will have a look. Unfortunately we rent and I don't see our landlord putting in solar as they only just put in a gas heating system through the whole building last year before we moved in.

We are in Adapazarı, which is two hours out of Istanbul near to Izmit. It's a nice place but not somewhere you would choose to live if you had a choice

raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
green , recycling or being , turkey