FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2013, 09:55   #1 (permalink)

Anon11 is on a distinguished road
Planning Permission / Building Regulations in Turkey?

I was wondering if anybody could assist with a little knowledge about planning laws and building regulations in Turkey (specifically in relation to residential properties).

I am very unfamiliar with how the system works - namely what documentation is required and how it is enforced? Also, what is the timescale for the local authorities to enforce planning permission / building consent? And after how long does the enforceability of planning consent end?

If anybody has any knowledge and could be of any help, I would be most grateful!

Thanks
Anon11 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 18th November 2013, 13:25   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planning Permission

It's a complex subject and the laws vary depending on the region and type of land.

I can give you some quick examples to explain what I mean.

There are various land types, often referred to by different names. Each land type has it's own regulations regarding building. You cannot build on every type of land.
Generally 'arsa' refers to residential or commercial building plots, the regulations vary according to the size and location of the plot; for example, a small plot in a city centre can have a much higher building percentage than a plot of a similar size in a village location, the number of floors you can build often varies too and the whole thing is described with a percentage which relates to the base size and remaining floor space (20/40%).
We built our house on farmland which is often referred to as Tarla. We had a building allowance (at the time) of 5% of the total plot size, or a maximum of 250sqm. Even though we have 9 donums of land we could only build one property, however, some land types allow you to build more than one property.

Another example, at the moment in our village there is a total block on building permissions. We have another piece of land which is a small plot, but allows us to build 100sqm. We heard that the planning permissions were going to be halted and so we made a quick application. We had project and the engineering plans already drawn up, so it was just a case of making the application. The application was granted within a week, but I believe it was granted in an unusually quick time.

To make an application I believe you need the tapu and project plans, engineering plans. During a build there may be local restrictions, for example, the position of the plot and land size may mean you have a restriction which ensures you build 5 metres away from the border of your land, certain height restrictions or design restrictions may apply.

Once you have been granted building permission I believe it lasts for 3 years (well ours will) and then you'll have to reapply.

I would urge you to seek local advice though, specific to the location and plot type that you own.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
bickern (18th November 2013), Carolyn (18th November 2013), Chinook (18th November 2013), giglets (18th November 2013), kemerkid (18th November 2013), Omentide (18th November 2013), tykatem (18th November 2013)
Old 18th November 2013, 14:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 14,865 Times in 5,750 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planning Permission / Building Regulations in Turkey?

Good, informative post Charlotte. Thanks.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 14:12   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,270 Times in 834 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Excellent post. In essence the requirements and procedures are similar to UK with zoned land, plot ratios , restrictions in relation to neighbours and a planning approval which has a life within which the proposed development has to be completed, 5 years , although extensions can be granted.In addition it covers building regulations and subsequent checks and approvals.As Bickern says you need to talk to a local Architect , Planning Consultant or the relevant people in the town hall to understand the local nuances.
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinook For This Useful Post:
teosgirl (18th November 2013)
Old 18th November 2013, 14:33   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the very informative posts. I am very grateful.

It definitely seems sensible to consult a local Architect to receive all the locally-relevant details and information.

What would happen if works performed / construction did not comply with local restrictions or planning permission? Would you be required to remove the offending works? And within what time could this be enforced? (I know that in some countries a local authority can challenge works up to 5 or 10 years after they have been done, then any offending works are 'waived' if not enforced prior to this timescale).

Once you have received planning permission and completed the works, what is the process for certifying or authorising the works? I had read something about an Iskan to allow you to habituate the property? Is there a timescale for getting works certified?

Many thanks.
Anon11 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 14:45   #6 (permalink)

Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light Mig62 is a glorious beacon of light

Why not go for a ready built? It will save lots of time and hassle, lots to choose from with all relevant paper work in place. Anyway good luck in whatever you do
Mig62 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 15:15   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 1,270 Times in 834 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
What would happen if works performed / construction did not comply with local restrictions or planning permission? Would you be required to remove the offending works?
Yes . A friend of ours altered the layout of the windows on one elevation from what had been approved and had to amend the elevation to comply with the planning approval in order to get her habitation certificate . Mind it was done in timber and painted and then quietly removed over the course of time to revert to what she wanted and they have never come back. Mind it probably helped that she was using the most well known local Architect.

The ultimate is that they will come in and demolish the building if an agreement cannot be reached and there are a number of examples of the authorities doing this.

Mig62 it depends on where you are and what you want as to the amount of choice of ready built . In our village there is only one small block of apartments currently being built , all the rest are sold/occupied and nobody is currently building speculatively in the areas zoned for villas.

Last edited by Chinook; 18th November 2013 at 15:23..
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:49   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon11 View Post
Thank you for the very informative posts. I am very grateful.

It definitely seems sensible to consult a local Architect to receive all the locally-relevant details and information......

Many thanks.

I'm not an authority on land or property law and I'm only trying to help, my opinions and knowledge has been formed by local experiences, both personal and through friends and acquaintances.

What would happen if works performed / construction did not comply with local restrictions or planning permission?

You will be fined and/or (depending on the infringement) required to demolish/change the irregularities.

Would you be required to remove the offending works?
In some cases yes.
A local hotel which built an extra floor simply paid a fine, however I know a private property which had to demolish a closed terrace within a certain period of time. I have a suspicion that a fine can sometimes be agreed on instead of demolishing the offending build. Again, you'd have to ask an expert for advice regarding a specific scenario.

And within what time could this be enforced?

(I know that in some countries a local authority can challenge works up to 5 or 10 years after they have been done, then any offending works are 'waived' if not enforced prior to this timescale).

No idea, sorry.

Once you have received planning permission and completed the works, what is the process for certifying or authorising the works?

You apply for your habitation certificate then someone comes and checks the property is built to spec. It's signed off and it becomes an officially recognised property.

I had read something about an Iskan to allow you to habituate the property? Is there a timescale for getting works certified?

I don't know. We have a neighbour who has an illegal build property (a second brick build bungalow home and the same plot of land) and although they were informally asked to demolish the build, they haven't yet. The building is attached to their own electric/water supply, however if you do not register your property then I guess you would stay on a different band of electric/water supply? I'm not sure, just speculating.

If you find any clear cut answers to these questions be sure to update the thread with the information for us

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
giglets (18th November 2013)
Old 18th November 2013, 17:28   #9 (permalink)

Thank you again - very informative.

I shall continue my research and will be sure to update with any new information or findings !

Thanks
Anon11 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
building , permission , planning , regulations , turkey