Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 27th February 2015, 16:18   #1 (permalink)

clarekozzy is on a distinguished road
Smile Location recommendations

My husband (turkish) and I (english) have been married for 6 years and have 4 wonderful children. We are settled in the UK but it has always been our plan to spend a year or two in Turkey while the children are primary school aged so they can benefit from and learn about the culture and language/being schooled in the turkish system. I Want them to be able to function in both countries.

I have read mixed reviews about the turkish schooling system and while ofcourse i care deeply about my children's academic progress I also recognise learning turkish and having a cultural understanding while they are young is of great benefit to them in their adult lives. I am a primary school teacher and plan to time this move so that I can help plug any gaps. I ultimately want them to be happy wherever they are schooled.

My question to you all is whether you know of a place we could focus our search. My husband's family mostly live in Batman which is an interesting place but not suitable for the kind of experience we are looking for. We have close family in Icemeler and know Marmaris extremely well. As we will be staying a year (two if things go well) I wonder if there's anywhere similar to Marmaris that perhaps doesn't Turn into a ghost town during the winter months. We don't mind living (we would be buying somewhere for this adventure then keeping it as a long term rental) on the outskirts / in a village even. We hope to find a 'value for money' property with schools nearby and a touristy part frequented by english people so that my husband can work in a restaurant the summer.

So if you can recommend anywhere I can research further I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Clare
clarekozzy is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 27th February 2015, 16:24   #2 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Location recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarekozzy View Post
My husband (turkish) and I (english) have been married for 6 years and have 4 wonderful children. We are settled in the UK but it has always been our plan to spend a year or two in Turkey while the children are primary school aged so they can benefit from and learn about the culture and language/being schooled in the turkish system. I Want them to be able to function in both countries.

I have read mixed reviews about the turkish schooling system and while ofcourse i care deeply about my children's academic progress I also recognise learning turkish and having a cultural understanding while they are young is of great benefit to them in their adult lives. I am a primary school teacher and plan to time this move so that I can help plug any gaps. I ultimately want them to be happy wherever they are schooled.

My question to you all is whether you know of a place we could focus our search. My husband's family mostly live in Batman which is an interesting place but not suitable for the kind of experience we are looking for. We have close family in Icemeler and know Marmaris extremely well. As we will be staying a year (two if things go well) I wonder if there's anywhere similar to Marmaris that perhaps doesn't Turn into a ghost town during the winter months. We don't mind living (we would be buying somewhere for this adventure then keeping it as a long term rental) on the outskirts / in a village even. We hope to find a 'value for money' property with schools nearby and a touristy part frequented by english people so that my husband can work in a restaurant the summer.

So if you can recommend anywhere I can research further I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Clare
Google Akbuk. I lived there for a few years & had English friends who had their children at the local school & were happy with the education. All their kids are now fluent in Turkish.

I wish you luck.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
clarekozzy (28th February 2015)
Old 27th February 2015, 18:15   #3 (permalink)

Thanks very much. Have had a little search and Akbuk looks to be a very good option. House prices seem very reasonable too. I like how close it is to bodrum airport too. ive never heard of it as a holiday destination before - do many Brits holiday there ? Would be interesting to compare its population to Marmaris.
clarekozzy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarekozzy For This Useful Post:
Spurs (3rd March 2015), suecheshireuk (28th February 2015)
Old 27th February 2015, 19:56   #4 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 11,702 Times in 5,573 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Marmaris is seriously boring IMHO, keep looking
IbrahimAbi is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IbrahimAbi For This Useful Post:
Old 27th February 2015, 20:04   #5 (permalink)

Haha! Ok good advice I guess I agree. It's sometimes easier to stick with what you know. Having looked at the Akbuk website it seems altinkum is a bit bigger and maybe more going on. Just want to find somewhere everything is in our reach (schools/shops for weekly groceries/ leisure) or a dolmuş ride away. Other english families or half english/turkish would be nice too. But restaurants catering for english holiday makers is a must - it's my husband's 'profession' in the summer
Old 27th February 2015, 20:40   #6 (permalink)

Shen60 is a jewel in the rough Shen60 is a jewel in the rough Shen60 is a jewel in the rough Shen60 is a jewel in the rough

Bodrum is very nice and has everything for family life. We don't have school age children now, but my neighbours have and their kids really doing well both English/ Turkish language and many out of school activities. Also a great touristic location, catering for all and many restaurants. Good luck wherever you decide on.
Shen60 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shen60 For This Useful Post:
Old 27th February 2015, 20:42   #7 (permalink)

kevkj has a spectacular aura about kevkj has a spectacular aura about

Guzelcamli
Old 27th February 2015, 20:42   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 4,490 Times in 1,457 Posts
sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute sue & james has a reputation beyond repute

What about Fethiye, great working town summer or winter, with the resorts of Calis, Hisaronu and Olu Deniz for the summer season.

Sue
sue & james is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sue & james For This Useful Post:
Ceni (28th February 2015), clarekozzy (28th February 2015), keefee (27th February 2015), lewknor (28th February 2015)
Old 27th February 2015, 21:52   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm engrossed in researching them all. The looking has helped focus things I guess I am after that place where my husband can hop on a scooter and be at work in 5 mins (any generic restauranty type place), my children's school is a 10-15 min walk away, the town itself is no more than 1.5 hours from dalaman or bodrum airports. Also, I have read certain parts like Kalkan (?) are much more expensive than others. We would be renting our house in England and would want to buy wherever we live so money isn't going down the drain on rent. This in mind...the house prices in AKbuk seem very favourable ...50k seems to afford a fairly average 3 bed duplex. Bodrum seems a little more pricey perhaps. 50k would be our max budget...
Old 27th February 2015, 22:20   #10 (permalink)

tabetha will become famous soon enough tabetha will become famous soon enough

going a bit off topic here have you looked into the schooling here my two girls go to school here but they do not cover alot of the lessons that are taught in UK schools and although your husband is Turkish do your children speak the language as this could be a problem for them you say you are a teacher which is a good thing as you can keep up with their english lessons ect but to be honest they wont have time to do extra lessons the amount of homework that gets given to primary students here is not like in the uk here they get alot of homework even in year 1 i know you will have thought this over very seriously but does your husband want to work 18 hrs a day for very little money especially when you are used to uk wages i am not trying to put you off i am just pointing out some of the bad points also with your husband working do you speak turkish as the children will need help with there homework sorry if you feel like i am telling you all the bad things i am not i am just telling you the things that i find hard and i speak very good turkish but even i find some of the home work given very difficult. But of course there are good things that over ride the bad and that is why we moved back. For the kids the standard of living is much better they are how can i put it more free if that makes sense and of course with the weather they are not stuck indoors all the time. i hope you and your family find somewhere where you will be happy good look in the house hunting

Tags
location , recommendations