Tijax

How to travel abroad with turkish bank acct?
I will be spending 6 to 9 months travelling to europe and central america and wondering how to best manage funds for my trip. I don't want to carry Travellers cheques.
All of my funds are in Yapikedi, I have a bankers card with them and have made an application for a smart key to do internet banking abroad . I also have a UK LloydsTSB account with bank debit card. Last year I used my Yapikredi bank card at ATMs on a trip to France and Spain and think I paid alot to do this.

Anyone with any ideas?
Also, in an emergency, if I need to transfer funds to anywhere in the world which is the least expensive way to do it. Here at Yapikredi I have US dollar, Euro and sterling accounts.

Any advice much apreciated - tijax

Can

i usually carry a decent amount of cash (may be around 1000 €).

i do pay with plastic where ever possible.

worked out fine so far.

scotssteve

your internet banking will allow the cheapest transfers, but you may want to think about opening an account with a strong presence where you are going?
Perhaps a spanish based bank would help?

Good luck with your travels

Akasya

Postless Pointer
As long as you steer clear of Iran and Venezuela " American Express " will do nicely.

Steve.

Tijax

Thanks for the advices, I think I will go to my bank and discuss what they think is best. I plan to travel around with some dollars in cash but with my experiences in Chiapas Mexico and Guatemala every moment is a potential for robbery and more.... so the answer is never plan to carry more than ones prepared to loose and always some easy cash to find for theives, as not having anything to give can mean being violently attacked for not having anything. I will look into banks that operate in Spain and central america and that actually can help you. A few years ago I had a Barclays Uk bank account but when I went into the one and only Barclays bank in Guatemala City to try and exchange my sterling(Iwas carrying all my spending money at tht time) into Quetzales they refused to help. Back then the only currency that could be changed there were dollars.They said having an account in the UK Barclays didn't mean I was in anyway a client at Barclays Guatemala. I ended having to go to Belize just to change money.
I think I read somewhere on this site about Banco Santander which is a Spanish bank so they will be my first port of callwhen I get to Spain . However, Spanish banks at the moment are a bit risky.
Once again many thanks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom