Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Banking, Finance and Insurance

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2018, 17:19   #1 (permalink)

Turkan is on a distinguished road
Is there any difference between opening an account for a foreigner and Turkish?

Hello,

Turkish guys please answer my question.

When you go to open a new account in bank do they say you that you should wait for a central bank to prove this account?!
When I go to any banks they say to me that you should wait. Today for example akbank say that the central akbank should prove this account and it delays to Monday!!
Turkan is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 4th May 2018, 18:05   #2 (permalink)

Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough Sceptre is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is there any difference between opening an account for a foreigner and Turkish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkan View Post
Hello,

Turkish guys please answer my question.
Any reason Turkish Ladies cant answer it, bit sexist really.lol
Sceptre is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
Bodrum buddy

alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is there any difference between opening an account for a foreigner and Turkish?

Deniz bank opened account at time of application with us.
alva5763 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:35   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alva5763 View Post
Deniz bank opened account at time of application with us.
Are you a foreigner?
Turkan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:35   #5 (permalink)

How about foreigners? is any foreigner here who has an experience regarding opening a new account? specially with personal banks (not public ones)

Last edited by Turkan; 4th May 2018 at 18:39..
Old 4th May 2018, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,322 Times in 707 Posts
angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of

I opened a bank account with Yapi Kredi bank 12 years ago. In those days it was called something different though ... don't recall what that name was, or perhaps it was that the initial bank I used got bought by Yapi Kredi ... I don't remember ... anyway, it was dead easy ... all I had to do was to go to the tax office in Manavgat which is 15 minutes on the dolmus and 3.5 TL each way... there I filled in a small form with my name and address and my parents names too... it doesn't matter if they are dead, you must still write out their names ... and a copy of the picture page on my British passport ... I had to wait 3 x working days before I could open a bank account with any bank here in Side, Turkey ... so I opened one at Yapi Kredi ... in those days, 12 years ago, I got 29% interest on my monthly TL time deposit account but today I get 13% on that same account ... as a result, I have easily managed to live on the interest alone and have never had to touch my capital sums ... after I had been with Yapi Kredi for 10 years there was a knock on my apartment door ... it was a courier from Yapi Kredi delivering a big box to me ... I signed for it and was curious on what on earth it could be ... when I opened it, I was pleasantly surprised ... inside were 8 x smaller boxes filled with fresh Turkish coffees of all descriptions, also various Turkish teas and hot chocolate as well, with a note to me saying ... "Congratulations Angela Reardon, you have been our customer at Yapi Kredi bank in Side for 10 years" ... in the 30 + years I have been with NatWest bank in Surrey, England, I have not had one thing from them for free ... except for the advice that I should do Internet Banking - which I refuse to do because of all the hacking that goes on nowadays and my money does not feel safe that way to me at least. x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Andybutt (4th May 2018), Turkan (4th May 2018)
Old 4th May 2018, 20:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaturkey View Post
I opened a bank account with Yapi Kredi bank 12 years ago. In those days it was called something different though ... don't recall what that name was, or perhaps it was that the initial bank I used got bought by Yapi Kredi ... I don't remember ... anyway, it was dead easy ... all I had to do was to go to the tax office in Manavgat which is 15 minutes on the dolmus and 3.5 TL each way... there I filled in a small form with my name and address and my parents names too... it doesn't matter if they are dead, you must still write out their names ... and a copy of the picture page on my British passport ... I had to wait 3 x working days before I could open a bank account with any bank here in Side, Turkey ... so I opened one at Yapi Kredi ... in those days, 12 years ago, I got 29% interest on my monthly TL time deposit account but today I get 13% on that same account ... as a result, I have easily managed to live on the interest alone and have never had to touch my capital sums ... after I had been with Yapi Kredi for 10 years there was a knock on my apartment door ... it was a courier from Yapi Kredi delivering a big box to me ... I signed for it and was curious on what on earth it could be ... when I opened it, I was pleasantly surprised ... inside were 8 x smaller boxes filled with fresh Turkish coffees of all descriptions, also various Turkish teas and hot chocolate as well, with a note to me saying ... "Congratulations Angela Reardon, you have been our customer at Yapi Kredi bank in Side for 10 years" ... in the 30 + years I have been with NatWest bank in Surrey, England, I have not had one thing from them for free ... except for the advice that I should do Internet Banking - which I refuse to do because of all the hacking that goes on nowadays and my money does not feel safe that way to me at least. x Angela in Side x
Dear angela

as you remembered you asked from your friend who is a bank manager and she said that for iranians it is not so much easy!!
No?
Old 4th May 2018, 20:04   #8 (permalink)

You know banks want a lot of thing from us at least me!
The only bank is ziraat which really does not care who you are! Just as angela said a vergi numarasi (tax number and passport) is enough for irani!!
but other banks no!!
Even for students inside university if they live outside of the university's dorms you should provide many materials!
Old 4th May 2018, 20:12   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaturkey View Post
So waiting a few days is normal and it is not just applied for iranians right?
I hope they accept it.
Do you think if they did not accept it, they did not say to me that wait for a few days right?
Old 5th May 2018, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,322 Times in 707 Posts
angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of angelaturkey has much to be proud of

Turkan - It does not matter what country you are from, you must always wait 3 full working days after you get your tax number before opening a Turkish bank account. It takes that long to get into the computer and to circulate to all the banks... but after 3 days you can go to any bank in Turkey and they will help you to open an account. However, if you are Iranian, there is only one bank that will give you a bank account and that is Ziraat Bank. Here is a list of their branches in and around Istanbul ... https://www.google.com/search?source...E,lf:1,lf_ui:4

Let us know how you get on and which bank you chose in the end please... x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Turkan (5th May 2018)

Tags
account , difference , foreigner , opening , turkish