Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 10th January 2009, 07:10   #1 (permalink)
ex Bond Girl

rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold rosewall1 is a splendid one to behold
Lending and breakages

Can anyone explain the Turkish attitude to damaging other peoples goods. We have lent our next door neighbour our secateurs to trim some thin branches, they came back in two pieces, no word of sorry. We gave some wood to another neighbour and lent them our circular saw to cut it, after several months we asked for it back, when we came to use it it was broken, another neighbour had our chain saw, came back really blunt. My maid ironed my nightdress and burnt a hole in it, instead of telling me she hid it, managed to explain to her that accidents do happen but would like to be told - still find things damaged and hidden.
Are we doing something wrong, are they afraid of trouble or in the case of the maid loosing her job? Do they think that we have so much money that we can afford it?
So if anyone can think of an explanation??????
Old 10th January 2009, 07:27   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 13,460 Times in 5,073 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lending and breakages

The explanation is Turks are the same as any other persons including brits.

Good, bad or indifferent.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 07:45   #3 (permalink)

ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with bickern, I've never lent anything to Turks here, only to Brits and had same reaction. Maybe I've learnt my lesson, but I find it so hard to say 'No'!

Youth is wasted on the young!
Eddie, Pearl Jam
ZiaCa' is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 09:46   #4 (permalink)

Maidmarion will become famous soon enough

I rented my apartment to A Turkish manager who came with glowing references. He was in the apartment for 2 years. When we got back to it he had done these things. Ruined the polished wood table top because he put the 2 tier teapot on it. Burned the enamel off the cooker because he roaster aubergines on it. Ruined my sheets because he put black shirts and socks in the wash with the sheets. Lots of other little niggles too but when I asked him whay he intended doing he said 'you get the cooker and I will pay for it' I did, he didnt. After 3 weeks of asking him for a contribution he said ' there is over 2000 ytl in your bank, I put that there so use that. Doh, that is the rental for my spends when over there. Neddless to say he never stayed there again. No repect at all, just do not give a damn.

MM
Maidmarion is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 09:53   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Plops Champion!
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,022 Posts
bobthenob has disabled reputation

l have also experience many bad behaviour from the one's l lent my goods to,whether it's the Turkish or British they have all been the same with a negative attitude towards other people's belongings that was lent to them in good faith.
l now have the attitude of not lending nothing to no one unless l know of this person can be trusted 100% with my goods.

Last edited by bobthenob; 10th January 2009 at 10:13..
bobthenob is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenob
l have also experience many bad behaviour from the one's l lent my goods to,whether it's the Turkish or British they have all been the same with a negative attitude towards other people's belongings that was lent to them in good faith.
l now have the attitude of not lending nothing to no one unless l know of this person can be trusted 100% with my goods.
I agree with you Bob. There are very few people I know that I am 100% sure I will get what ever I lent them back in the same condition as when they took it. Back home I have a ton of tools and so did a really good friend of mine. If I needed to borrow something from him I made sure he got it back in the same or better condition then what he lent it to me at. If the tool had a life time warranty and I broke it I wouldn't give it to him so he could get it replaced, I would exchange it so he got a usable tool back, if there was no warranty then I would buy a new one, two if I thought I would use it enough to have my own. He would do the same, never a problem.

Biker Bob
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:00   #7 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

I learned a long time ago that no-one looks after your stuff. Even members of my family have borrowed and never returned or returned broken! I kindly lent my brand new bike to a Turkish friend who had had his stolen and he kept it for months and returned it unfit to be seen out on! Not a trace of embarrasement - I would have had to replace it if it was me.

Best thing is never to lend - but it is hard when they have spotted you using something then ask to lend it - what can you say without seeming mean?

Whats the saying 'never a borrower or lender be' ?
Peaceplant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:52   #8 (permalink)
Completely Chillaxed

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,027 Posts
KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute KKOB has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Lending and breakages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceplant
but it is hard when they have spotted you using something then ask to lend it - what can you say without seeming mean?
Tell 'em you've borrowed it from someone and they want it straight back.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:58   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,767 Times in 885 Posts
Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Martyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKoyuOldBoy
Tell 'em you've borrowed it from someone and they want it straight back.
Good idea, i've loaned many and forget where they have gone. Someone told me once to make a list of what, who & when but I never do thinking I will remember.

Martyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:22   #10 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

Demand a retainer!
Otherwise...NO!
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
breakages , lending