FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Bodrum Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2006, 12:59   #1 (permalink)

cally is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Being ripped off by developer?

Our apartment was due to have been finished in July and we have just been informed that it is ready now. According to the contract we signed, the developer has to pay us compensation for every day he is late. That amounts to about 5000. He has been informed of this and his answer was that he would install a water heater for free instead. My questions are 1) Is it not standard that water heaters are included (bearing in mind white goods are not included) and 2) How much would a water heater/installation actually cost? I get the impression he's just trying to rip us off but I'd rather not get involved in disputes. We have been told to get in touch with our solicitor but does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should demand. Sorry for the long post! Thanks
cally is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th September 2006, 13:06   #2 (permalink)
Just a member

lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough
Re: Being ripped off by developer?

If it is a new build you should have a specification list to show what is been included as standard, water heaters as far as i know here in Alanya are fitted as standard on all new builds and dont cost any where near 5k.
If the contract is clear in what it says, then stick to what you want, Your developer certainly would if it was the other way round, I bet it is written in there somewhere that you should pay him if you fail to pay on time , i dont think he will be listening to your reasons or excuses so i wouldnt listen to his
So to sum up you should be sure of what is on the plans and what is written in contract and yes go and see your solicitor to tery and resolve it ammicably.
Demand exactly what it says on the contract
Old 5th September 2006, 13:11   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 9,386 Times in 3,512 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you mean by water heater. If you mean a roof-mounted solar water heater with a couple of storage tanks ie simple and common system, they are about 300 fitted.
A full central heating system for a very big apartment might be around 2,000 depending on model of boiler.
If you mean a small gas boiler to heat water for a bath, perhaps a few hundred pounds.
The first (roof) would normally be included in the build; the central heating would not be fitted as standard in most areas, but you probably don't need it unless you are up a mountain and want year-round heating.
Ian
Old 5th September 2006, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Wishing on a star

tonytg will become famous soon enough

I reckon you've got fat chance and no chance of them paying you 5k now or any other time !!!
Old 5th September 2006, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Andy

rafiki is a glorious beacon of light rafiki is a glorious beacon of light rafiki is a glorious beacon of light rafiki is a glorious beacon of light rafiki is a glorious beacon of light

200 tops for an electric water boiler including fitting and thats for an excellent one.
The chances of you getting the 5000 which you would be intitled to if it was in the Turkish contract that you both signed is pretty slim. I myself have never heard of anyone here succeding to take their builder to court for it. However I wish someone would.
Wish you all the best
Old 5th September 2006, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Just a member

lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough

If yo havent paid in full yet it may be an idea to hold back some money, but do it useing a trusted lawyer i wouldn't use one they recommend because he will tend to be biased and no doubt be on a commission.
I have yet to hear of a developer paying penalties for none completion in time, but hear of many wanting the buyers to pay up if they are late paying the balance even if its just one day, Remarkable
Old 5th September 2006, 17:50   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 1,160 Times in 808 Posts
Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of

Our apartment was over a month late being finished and when I asked the lawyer about the compensation in the contract he said he could make a claim for us but we would have to pay him to take it to court. decided not to bother,as we dont want to create bad feeling at this point( havnt seen it finished yet)
Miss Money Penny is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 19:37   #8 (permalink)

jellybean is on a distinguished road

Had friends in the same position last year. It is very doubtful that you will get that much money back. Also as he is your builder you never know when you may need his services in the future.
My friends had a look at their list of what would be included in their villa. Then thought about what they might also need.
They then asked him if he would fit security bars at their windows with mozzy nets and security doors with mozzy nets on their patio/balcony doors for free instead of giving them compensation.
This he agreed to and did.
Alright it did not come to the same amount as their compensation but it was some thing they needed and would have had to organise and pay for. So it saved them doing it and kept a professional friendship with the builder.

I would consider a compensation clause as a way to open up negotiations not as a way to get a lump sum.

good luck.
jellybean is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 19:48   #9 (permalink)
Pete from Blighty

Pete1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean
Had friends in the same position last year. It is very doubtful that you will get that much money back. Also as he is your builder you never know when you may need his services in the future.
My friends had a look at their list of what would be included in their villa. Then thought about what they might also need.
They then asked him if he would fit security bars at their windows with mozzy nets and security doors with mozzy nets on their patio/balcony doors for free instead of giving them compensation.
This he agreed to and did.
Alright it did not come to the same amount as their compensation but it was some thing they needed and would have had to organise and pay for. So it saved them doing it and kept a professional friendship with the builder.

I would consider a compensation clause as a way to open up negotiations not as a way to get a lump sum.
good luck.
Absolutely spot on this answer , Any builder hates paying money back even the UK ones, This sounds to me the best route .
Pete1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 21:07   #10 (permalink)

cally is on a distinguished road

Thanks for those suggestions. Like you have all said, I could never really imagine the developer giving us money back. We will, however, owe him the final payment of around 5000 upon completion. Maybe it'd be a better idea to negotiate to have things installed like air con etc rather than keep this money back?
cally is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
developer , ripped