Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Property Forum > Buying property in Turkey & North Cyprus

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2013, 09:24   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did anyone get a surveyors report when buying in turkey?

If there was such a thing as a pre-buy survey which would include a search for debts that would cut down the need for a solicitor and end the heart aches of the scams if it was compulsary. Maybe Turkey didnt need it in the past but times are changing and scams are happening all around us, people are more aware of the pitfalls now. I think its an excellent idea.
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanamo For This Useful Post:
Justin66 (27th January 2013), sue & james (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:41   #12 (permalink)

myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough myrajane is a jewel in the rough

I worked as a conveyancing secretary for many years and most of the properties that we dealt with only had a mortgage valuation report, full structural are expensive and most people couldn't afford to pay for it on top of all the other expenses of buying a house.
myrajane is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to myrajane For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013), nanamo (27th January 2013), val2661 (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:58   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,705 Posts
nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute nanamo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Myrajane but going throught the Turkish courts is also very expensive with no guarantee you will receive what you paid for at the end of it. If it was compulsary for a full check to be done beforehand there could be no scams or the need for dodgy solicitors.
nanamo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanamo For This Useful Post:
Justin66 (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 10:01   #14 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanamo View Post
If there was such a thing as a pre-buy survey which would include a search for debts that would cut down the need for a solicitor and end the heart aches of the scams if it was compulsary. Maybe Turkey didnt need it in the past but times are changing and scams are happening all around us, people are more aware of the pitfalls now. I think its an excellent idea.

I think it should be made law too Nanamo. of course some people paying cash may not want to have a survey done to protect there investment, like Hijo here who is thanking all the posts who dissagree with me (and hes after being an impartial MOD! lol) but I must stay on topic.

yeh, a survey is a necessity IMO and if they did the MC check with it too plus debts o/s it wud be so fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrajane View Post
I worked as a conveyancing secretary for many years and most of the properties that we dealt with only had a mortgage valuation report, full structural are expensive and most people couldn't afford to pay for it on top of all the other expenses of buying a house.
Im guessing the people who only have the basic surveys are buying fairly new props in the UK and by that I mean anything up to 30 years old? and allso those who buy cheaper properties. cos people buying cheaper places will usually have less money and go for the cheapest options.

if your buying an older character property you prob have more money and as the place is more expensive to buy you prob can afford the full survey.

but none of that really matters....what matters is having a survey. even a basic survey where a chartered surveyor checks for structural faults, electric wiring, damp. roof, gutters, brickwork, subsidance, damp etc etc....they are all very necessary inspections before parting with maybe hundrerds of thousands pounds!!

MARYJANE......a homebuyers report survey IS carried out by a surveyor. they check the basics, the ones I just listed above. a FULL survey checks things like plumbing, sinks, taps, floorboards, windows and so on............

let me ask you MARYJANE (AND hI jO) if you was gonna buy a car for 50k or 100k, and you knew nowt about cars, wud you not pay £100 or whatever the charge is to the RAC to give the car the once over before buying it? I know I would! if you drove it away and next thing you knew you had to fork out 5k for a hefty repair you wud feel gutted. so imagine how it feels to buy a house and then discover theres maybe 30ks worth of repairs beeded!

Last edited by Justin66; 27th January 2013 at 10:09..
Justin66 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 10:09   #15 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey is not the U.K. and similar to many other countries you don't need to get a surveyors report.

In the U.K the basic survey is in most cases to secure the mortgage. In many countries that are not into heavy lending (mortgages etc) where cash buyers and families contribute they just buy and use their expertise or get a builder in for an opinion, they don't necessarily want a bonded document called Survey and pay a few hundred pounds for the privilege.

And all those mortgage valuations esp. upto 2007 can be fixed too!

Remember the days of Mortgage retainer i.e when mortgage company would give you the full loan minus a certain amount pending on certain repairs. Well I once bought a property got the suggested repairs done and called the mortage co. for re valuation survey to check I'd carried out all the works to satisfication, the bloke didn't even look at the repairs I had just smiled and said yeah, that's fine and signed his report and was off in 5 mins! I could have not even bothered they were just being fussy it was nothing major.

So a lot of the Land Registry, mortgage valuations and agents can tell you anything or decide to put anything in a glossy report you pay for.

Go with gut instinct and common sense each time wherever in the world.

On another issue, where do you think you will be buying Justin ? you mentioned on another thread possibly the Why are you Leaving Turkey thread series that it's not Turkey but another 20 countries you could think of?
newhorizon is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newhorizon For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013), Kingfisher (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 10:20   #16 (permalink)

Thanked 1,133 Times in 484 Posts
panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future panther has a brilliant future

The properties in Turkey are checked in stages presumably by a surveyor or buildings inspector. After this is done the tapu katirtifaki qualifies. The last stage which would cost the builder approx. £4.000-00p which many avoid Is the Kat mulkiyeti. The building is measured etc.
panther is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panther For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 10:21   #17 (permalink)

Scotty has a spectacular aura about Scotty has a spectacular aura about

Having bought and sold various properties, both modern and Victorian in the UK, with and without a mortgage I can comment on this. You only need a survey for the mortgage which confirms that the house is worth the loan value.

Having bought in Turkey I can confirm that there are no Surveyors. My English friend is a surveyor but any report he wrote would have no value in Turkey. Hope this helps with your quest for knowledge Justin.
Scotty is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 10:22   #18 (permalink)
Living in Okcular

Thanked 1,768 Times in 626 Posts
v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future

Just to clarify the RICS Homebuyer’s survey report advises only on areas of the property that are visible. Surveyors therefore cannot lift floorboards or knock holes in the wall to check for damp and other problems. I have also known them to not move a sofa to check behind or lift carpets.

I had my house built here (by a qualified chartered surveyor by the way, so they do exist here) but if i was to buy an older property i agree a proper in depth survey would be useful.
yalimart (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 10:23   #19 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhorizon View Post
Turkey is not the U.K. and similar to many other countries you don't need to get a surveyors report.

In the U.K the basic survey is in most cases to secure the mortgage. In many countries that are not into heavy lending (mortgages etc) where cash buyers and families contribute they just buy and use their expertise or get a builder in for an opinion, they don't necessarily want a bonded document called Survey and pay a few hundred pounds for the privilege.

And all those mortgage valuations esp. upto 2007 can be fixed too!

Remember the days of Mortgage retainer i.e when mortgage company would give you the full loan minus a certain amount pending on certain repairs. Well I once bought a property got the suggested repairs done and called the mortage co. for re valuation survey to check I'd carried out all the works to satisfication, the bloke didn't even look at the repairs I had just smiled and said yeah, that's fine and signed his report and was off in 5 mins! I could have not even bothered they were just being fussy it was nothing major.

So a lot of the Land Registry, mortgage valuations and agents can tell you anything or decide to put anything in a glossy report you pay for.

Go with gut instinct and common sense each time wherever in the world.

On another issue, where do you think you will be buying Justin ? you mentioned on another thread possibly the Why are you Leaving Turkey thread series that it's not Turkey but another 20 countries you could think of?
new horizon, I have explained to you WHY a bank insists upon a survey, even a homebyers basic one, its to make sure the property does not have structural faults, damp etc that will mean the property values is MUCH less than what the bank is lending for it. a basic survey is NOT just a glossy pice of paperwork. its carried out by a Chartered Surveyor who has spent YEARS training to qualify as one.

a chartered surveyor has FAR more knowledge and experise than a builder does. some builders can be very good at the work they do but they dont know everything about all manner of building and they dont all know buildings laws and regulations. why do you think some people have had to knock down extensions or loft conversions done by builders? its not just because they never got planning permission but becasue the builder didnt build it to the building regs set out by surveyors and they cud be dangerous.

you say families just use there 'expertise' lol what expertise is that if there a shopkeeper or there builder is the local handyman who calls himself Jack?

its essential to get a survey and if your getting a mortgage the bank INSIST you have one cos they are protecting THERE money too if the borrower was to default!

as for the Land Registry, that is the UKs OFFICIAL registry of every property in the UK. they have the OFFICIAL price each property sold for and when...so theres nowt fixed with them! lol how can you think such a daft thing?

as for where I mite be buying I can tell where I wont be buying! Didim, specially Altinkum and never in a million years would I buy in TRNC, thats for mugs. I said I have been to loads of countries, more than 20 as it goes, and theres more too I want to visit and will be doing so this year. I havent decided where when or if I will buy abroad but one thing I will tell you is that if I did buy in Turkey, I would pay for my own independant surveyor to come with me and inspect my purchase!!!

SCOTTY, I am well aware of why a bank/mortgage co asks for a surey, they want to make sure the property you are buying is worth the money they are lending you - and thats why it has to be checked for defaults - cos if it had severe structural defects it cud be worthless.

a person paying cash COULD buy it without a survey but IMO they wud be mad to do that. many defects can be hiddeen and covered up!

I realise that an English surveyors report on a turkish property wud be of no value in turkey, but it wud be of value to ME - cos it could save me THOUSANDS id he discovered I was buying a heap of cr*P!

V6COD, surveyors DO check for damp! they have instruments that check for it, they dont need to knock holes in the wall to look for damp.

Last edited by Justin66; 27th January 2013 at 10:30..
Justin66 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 10:24   #20 (permalink)

Thanked 1,737 Times in 815 Posts
Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute Helenm150 has a reputation beyond repute

Bearing in mind the method of construction used in Turkey (concrete instead of bricks and mortar, flat rather than pitched and tiled roofs, lno cavity walls and visible damp proof courses) whether once the property is up there would actually be anything much to inspect? I have heard horror stories of Turkish builders who to save money instead of filling the foundations with concrete fill them with a mixture of soil and concrete - the soil eventually rising to the top and coming through flooring - similarly it is not unheard of for their to be absolutely no roof insulation and you wouldn't know that without lifting some of the roof tiles - the same with the damp proof membrane - is there one, how far up the walls does it come? It seems that in Turkey to know that a property has been well built it needs to have been inspected at these various points of its construction by a surveyor doing his job and recording honestly. There are builders in Turkey who have excellent reputations who build and insulate properties to a high standard but unfortunately there are more who don't. Best advice is to ask which other properties he has built and research those iro owner satisfaction.

Last edited by Helenm150; 27th January 2013 at 10:26.. Reason: typo
Helenm150 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helenm150 For This Useful Post:
Justin66 (27th January 2013)

Tags
buying , report , surveyors , turkey