Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Property Forum > Buying property in Turkey & North Cyprus

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2013, 08:41   #1 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all
Exclamation Did anyone get a surveyors report when buying in turkey?

speaking to a mate last nite and was telling him about the problems in Turkey with propertys. not just all the scams that go on and illegal stuff but how so many of them are built so badly.
he allmost choked on his beer when I told him that loads of propertys are sold without buyers getting a surveyors report. like you all know in blighty the first thing you do when you want to buy a place you like is get a surveyors report specially if you need a mortgage or the bank wont lend you money withiout one.
when you hear about propertys and the way they get all thse problems with damp and cold coz theres no installation and dodgy brickwork foundations window frames and so on, it makes sence to get a surveyors report even if you are paying cash for a place you still wanna know if there cud be subsidance and all the rest of it.
why is it that in turkey they dont warn folk to have a surveyors report?
Justin66 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin66 For This Useful Post:
nanamo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 08:48   #2 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 23,604 Times in 10,432 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did anyone get a surveyors report when buying in turkey?

Justin

Once again you have it wrong, the majority of Surveyors reports you allude to are actually "mortgage valuation reports" and not structural survey reports, I got that from a professional "mate" in the industry, note a mate down the pub.

But I would agree it makes sense to have a structural and energy report

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,739 Posts
val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute

Justin, Turkey is not the UK and therefore building methods and the buying process (as many know to their cost) isn't done the same. I don't think you get a surveyor's report in many countries and Yalimart is correct in his statement that the 'surveyors report' which we pay for when purchasing a property is usually a mortgage valuation report. A full surveyors report is a lot more expensive and I would imagine most buyers decide against it.

Val
val2661 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to val2661 For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:03   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all Justin66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalimart View Post
Justin

Once again you have it wrong, the majority of Surveyors reports you allude to are actually "mortgage valuation reports" and not structural survey reports, I got that from a professional "mate" in the industry, note a mate down the pub.

But I would agree it makes sense to have a structural and energy report

Martin

no yalimart I have not got it wrong. my mate who happens to like a drink in the pub is an estate agent and has been in the buisness for over 20 years. thats why he was so gobsmacked when I told him they dont bother with surveys in turkey!!
you are wrong that the majority of surveyors reports are mortgage valuation reports, SOME are, but thats the basic reports that the BANKS INSIST on if they are lending money to a borrower and even those ones are carried out by a chartered surveyor who checks for things like possible subsidance, cracks, roof, damp etc etc. but the banks advise buyers to have a FULL survey done which is much better as it shows up any other faults that the basic one does not. thats not to say that the basic one is no good, of course its good or the bank wudnt risk there money on the property! but a full report is better for the buyer.
most folk who are buying a property in blighty will always have a full one done, specially if the property is an oldish one cos they dont want any nasty surprises.
nobody, not abank either wud DREAM of buying a property in blighty without haveing a survey done.

YES Val I know turkey is not the UK.
thats why I am asking why they dont bother with surveys in turkey.

Last edited by Justin66; 27th January 2013 at 09:06..
Justin66 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Justin

Your mate is having you over, its what I do for a living, in part anyway.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:10   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,739 Posts
val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute val2661 has a reputation beyond repute

Justin, I am sure there are surveyors in Turkey but I'd love to know where they are. As most Emlaks start up in business without any qualification, I doubt that any of them are qualified surveyors. In the UK I have purchased and sold at least 10 properties and only once have had a full survey for my purchases and none of my buyers have had a full survey on any property I was selling. My own experience of course, but like Yalimart I still think that the majority of properties sold in the UK do not have a full survey.

Val
val2661 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to val2661 For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,526 Times in 3,193 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

There was a British chap who tried to establish a business in Turkey a few years ago. He wanted to transfer his skills as a Surveyor to provide for foreigners buying here. He could not get the business mainly because Brits were not interested in paying for it and, because it was not necessary for them to secure a loan as it would be in UK, they were not interested in paying for "extras".

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Harem (27th January 2013), hijo (27th January 2013), Justin66 (27th January 2013), Karyn UK (27th January 2013), Mushtaq (27th January 2013), rangers (27th January 2013), val2661 (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:25   #8 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalimart View Post
Justin

Your mate is having you over, its what I do for a living, in part anyway.

Martin

My mate is not having me over at all. why do you think that? do you think Im stupid ot summit? lol okay my spelling mite be rubbish but you dont know me or anything about me....ok?

why you think an estate agent cant go to the pub says more about you than it does me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by val2661 View Post
Justin, I am sure there are surveyors in Turkey but I'd love to know where they are. As most Emlaks start up in business without any qualification, I doubt that any of them are qualified surveyors. In the UK I have purchased and sold at least 10 properties and only once have had a full survey for my purchases and none of my buyers have had a full survey on any property I was selling. My own experience of course, but like Yalimart I still think that the majority of properties sold in the UK do not have a full survey.

Val

Val I too wud like to know where the surveyots in turkey are but I do remember being warned by someone out there that if an emlak tells you they know a good surveyor to BEWARE!
an emlak is not a surveyor (chartered surveyors take years to get there qualifications) an emlak can be an ex postie, ex miner, ex waiter..anything. they dont need any quals at all.
like yourself I too have bought and sold propertys. of course a survey has been done every single time from all partys. I like older propertys with character and for that reason I have allways had a full survey, I wud sooner spend more on a full survey than have nasty surprises later down the line and of course if a survey throws up any probs you can barter down the price.
BUT a basic survey that the banks insist upon and folk who are buying newer propertys often choose to have are still detailed enough to satisfy the bank that there not lending money for a pile of rubbish that mite end up crumbling or falling to bits on its foundations.
a basic survey is still very very important and thats why my mate was so shocked that they dont bother doing them in turkey.
Justin66 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 09:33   #9 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Justin,

have we communicated in a previous life ? I think we have !

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
hijo (27th January 2013)
Old 27th January 2013, 09:40   #10 (permalink)
Tillyfloss

Tillyfloss has a spectacular aura about Tillyfloss has a spectacular aura about

I do believe a home valuation report for mortgage purposes does involve the reporter, who is usually some sort of surveyor and home valuer, looking around the property for basic defects. If something is discovered they will not report in depth but will advise that a further more thorough survey is done. This information is based on us having bought 5 properties in UK over the years. Only on one occasion did we have a full survey done, on the recommendation of our solicitor as the property had been extended, and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. I would never buy a property in the UK without someone having at least a quick look over it but it appears we all lose our brains when we buy in Turkey.
Tillyfloss is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tillyfloss For This Useful Post:
Justin66 (27th January 2013), Steve Bostanli (27th January 2013)

Tags
buying , report , surveyors , turkey