Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Property Forum > Buying property in Turkey & North Cyprus

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:44   #31 (permalink)

ThomasP is a jewel in the rough ThomasP is a jewel in the rough ThomasP is a jewel in the rough
Re: Buying farm land / tarla under 10.000m2 with foreign passport

Thanks guys for all your useful insights! I'm also looking for finished projects IbrahimAbi, if something fitting to us comes up we're ready to jump on it!

Lol Spurs your stories about projects always sound like a lot of baby sitting. I was planning to hire a guy to do all the managing for me but slowly I'm keen on doing it myself (instead of arriving at the house one day and stuff being all over the place )

Thanks so much to everyone!
ThomasP is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:40   #32 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasP View Post
Thanks guys for all your useful insights! I'm also looking for finished projects IbrahimAbi, if something fitting to us comes up we're ready to jump on it!

Lol Spurs your stories about projects always sound like a lot of baby sitting. I was planning to hire a guy to do all the managing for me but slowly I'm keen on doing it myself (instead of arriving at the house one day and stuff being all over the place )

It is like baby sitting except for the rate of pay. Manage it yourself if you have the time, then on completion stand back & do like we did................admire it & be proud of the achievement. Then post the pictures on here & give advice.............job done.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 3rd April 2016 at 15:56..
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
ThomasP (3rd April 2016)
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:07   #33 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,826 Times in 4,719 Posts
kemerkid has disabled reputation

Thomas I wish you all the best of luck and hope that when the chips are down you will remember the words you read on here.
A little anecdote for you. Twenty years ago whilst my wife and I were living in England she became friendly with a British born Turkish girl and her Cypriot husband. They owned a kebab shop in the town and as most Turks do they made a small fortune. But they worked hard for it. Rezvan was sending large quantities of cash over to Northern Cyprus in regular intervals so that his two brothers could build a large house for him for when he had had enough of work and he had produced enough kids. During 1997 he sold the shop at a tidy profit and shipped everything in a container to Cyprus. I think you probably know the rest. He has been working in the building industry in London since 1999. He’s not bitter; his kids have had a first class education.

Anyway, don’t take any wooden Nickels Thomas.

Life’s journey leads to many crossroads.
Success and happiness is knowing which direction to take.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kemerkid For This Useful Post:
Ceni (3rd April 2016), LauraB (4th April 2016), Spurs (4th April 2016), teosgirl (4th April 2016), ThomasP (3rd April 2016)
Old 4th April 2016, 08:50   #34 (permalink)
MiddleEarth

Thanked 1,831 Times in 881 Posts
MiddleEarth has disabled reputation
Cool Re: Buying farm land / tarla under 10.000m2 with foreign passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasP View Post

50 TL / sq meter seems seriously excessive to me. 100,000 TL for 2,000 sq meters is waaaay too much. Find another place, half that or less would be on the outer edge of reasonable.

Go to a part of the country that you want to live. Rent a place to live. Start looking and asking, do not buy until you are absolutely certain that you have found your dream location. That takes time, 6 to 12 months is not a lot of time to invest in what might cost you hundreds of thousands of currency.

If your wife is Turkish she can help you talk direct to owners and possibly eliminate the need for an emlak and make sure the price the owner wants is the price you are quoted. Some emlaks do not want buyers and sellers to meet, there is a reason, so beware those who refuse to let you meet the seller, they are probably raking the difference off between what the owner actually wants and what you are quoted. Happens a lot.

"My wife's cousin (turkish real estate guy) told her that after buying the farm land, we have to plant and register every tree on the land within 2 years."
It is my understanding that this is not true IF you submit a building plan for your house. It is either/or for foreigners buying tarla, either an agricultural purchase or a personal home purchase (with approved plan submitted and duly stamped, etc. etc.)

If your wife is Turkish put it in her name only (if you trust her).

Others have said it, keep family out of this business, you will have problems you do not want.

Once you buy a place and start construction be on site every day!

Watch BBC Grand Designs and see how NOT to do projects.

No matter who supervises the construction for you, no matter how honest and willing to please they are, someone, somewhere, will screw up. This is not just true for Turkey.

NEVER pay for anything up front, never!

When constructors/contractors come to you for money, make them account for every item purchased, demand receipts. No receipt, no pay. It is best if you go with them to buy materials. Make them shop around, some stores have "favourite" contractors, and vice-versa, there is a reason for that.

Labour should get paid only for work already accomplished to your satisfaction.

Tools needed for construction that you pay for are yours, keep track of them and do not let them take them when they go unless they pay for them.

Why not look into pre-fab wooden, or better yet, steel-frame houses? They are in various cities around the country and will deliver to a home site and put the pieces together. Most will also lay the foundations and give guidance to water, sewage, and electricity hook ups. Take a look at container homes, there are several companies in Istanbul who make quite nicecustom-build pre-fab homes. Eliminate the hassles and hazards of concrete built homes by local contractors, few of them have insulation for example nor are designed for flow-through ventilation, most builders know how to put concrete boxes together, but not do well with custom projects.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleEarth For This Useful Post:
kemerkid (4th April 2016)
Old 4th April 2016, 10:24   #35 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,826 Times in 4,719 Posts
kemerkid has disabled reputation

ME I can't fault your step by step guide to building a home of your own, you have mirrored exactly the process I followed almost ten years ago. However your comment regarding land prices per sq mt don't really dovetail with reality. If Thomas finds a plot that suits him and his needs and the asking price is 50TL per sq mt that is his own affair. That is, if he does his own research on the ground. What he told us or what I understood was that a relative of his wife had found him a 5000 mt sq plot of farm land (tarla) with what he believed to be planning permission for 75 mts sq plus 75 mts sq. These are likely shelters it is not permissible to build conventional residential property on tarla land in Dalyan or anywhere else in Turkey. Those are the regulations...... however more than 60% of housing here is illegal, being built on tarla or even land that does not belong to the house owner. (Ask some of the Brits in Altinkum how true that is)

Prices per mt sq are subject to supply and demand in Turkey the same as anywhere else in the world. Here on the Bodrum peninsular there is less than 5% of legal building land available and owners can ask for and get what they want. I myself have just sold another 350mt sq plot for 100000TL and the buyer was over the moon to get it.

Life’s journey leads to many crossroads.
Success and happiness is knowing which direction to take.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemerkid For This Useful Post:
MiddleEarth (5th April 2016), ThomasP (4th April 2016)
Old 4th April 2016, 10:41   #36 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

I think I paid (memory loss) £32,000 for my plot which was 1,600 sqm2 with planning consent. My intentions was to build one villa on it. 300m from the sea in Akbuk & an unobstructed view, it literally took weeks to find it. Saw that much "farmland" that if I had been 20 years younger I may well have become a farmer.
All hell let loose once I bought it. Prior to the building work I was offered £40,000 by a developer, little did I know that a company had been after that land for months but couldn't agree on a price with the landowner. If I had not been told I could build three villas on it (thinking I could only build one when we purchased) I would have sold it on for a swift profit. Those days 10 or11 years back it really was boom time for property in Turkey...............bit different now of course.............

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
kemerkid (4th April 2016), ThomasP (4th April 2016)

Tags
buying , farm , foreign , land , passport , tarla