dalid69

Manchester to Dalaman 2 1/2 days drive !!
Just driven from Manchester left monday afternoon 4pm,arrived in Dalaman 6am,if anyone is thinking of doing this and would like some info then let me know.

Also if anyone wants i could add some more details to this thread of the experience and the pitfalls encountered en-route.

Paul

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Hi Paul, please tell us about your trip and any tips etc. it would be very useful for others thinking about it.

Mushroom

Paul,

It would be very helpful for those of us who would like to drive to Turkey, if we could have the benefit of your experiences.
I used to travel all over Europe by car, but Turkey is still in the 'pipeline'.

I note 2 1/2 days drive, I would have thought more - did you ever stop for a pee ?

Mary

Hi Paul,
Please let us know the details.
This would be very interesting for many members including us.
Thanks
Tony

Tim

Hi

Great drive!

I would be interested to know how many road miles that is (and how many tanks of petrol). Also, what car? I assume something big that eats up the miles?

I am sure we would all like to read details of your experiences.

Tim

gren

How much was the total petrol cost and which route did you take?

dalid69

Thanks for all the comments and requests.

Our car is a 1999 Renault Megane Scenic 16valve petrol

We started off from north manchester 4.00pm monday the 5th of may,we drove down to Dover for a late crossing booked for 22.00hrs this was the cheapest for 2 adults and a car (£23) Dover to Dunkirque

Some time was wasted waiting for the ferry loading and the 2 hrs crossing which is a bit longer than the Calais crossing,once we landed at the other side we headed for Belgium and into the Netherlands most of the roads were very quiet and well sign posted,next was into Germany and past the Hockenheim Race track and on into Austria.

Our main problem was reaching the Serbian border,make sure you have a green card for this section or else its 125 euros to pay to enter,the tolls through this country were 5 euro,5 euro and then a 15 euro,3 in total,next we entered Hungary,no border checks and really good roads,very easy into Budapest but was lost in it for about an hour,the film Grounhog day came to mind once or twice,next was Bulgaria,very simple friendly and helpfull,5 euros for a day pass to drive their roads and on to the turkish border.

Total mileage was 2,650 miles down to Dalaman,i will put fuel costs on once i can check my card statement as some countries wanted local currency so best using card.

The Renaults onboard computer was reading over 36mpg most of the time and we had the back stacked up to the roof so was quite heavy.

When we arrived at the border it was being refurbished so plenty of building work but again very helpfull,passport check,visa for friend then turkish 3rd party insurance for the car(45 YTL for 3 months)qucik signature from the main man and of we went.

Arrived Dalaman 5am thursday the 8th May

Last edited:

GnD

Wow Paul,

G and I are really intrigued. And ignorantly shocked that it only took 2 1/2 days!

Rivotting read and very concise. Would love Carol's perspective of driving versus fly.

Very well done!
(Photos of the new addition? Boy or Girl?)
D&G x

Tried to give some well deserved rep points but says I have to spread some around So its up to someone else.............. well deserved I think

Last edited:

gren

Wow. sounds great. I look forward to the petrol costs!
What is and where do you get a 'green card'?
I thought that was a USA work permit..!

Mushroom

Paul,

It's on my list of things to do but my family aren't as keen and would want to make it a mini holiday getting there and back so 2 1/2 days would be out of the question (unless of course I did it on my own !)
Out of curiosity, my sums suggest that 2650 miles over 2.5 days is just over 1000 miles per 24 hour day.
Would I be right in thinking that there were at least two of driving and your stops were for refreshment breaks only ?
Probably the biggest question has already been asked regarding total fuel bills and did you take advantage of a quick visit into the Luxembourg border where fuel has always been the cheapest in Europe.

dalid69

Hi to you all

Yes there were 2 of us driving,i had to recruit a friend as my wife does not do ferries,only one problem was that most of the time he was sleeping or texting his new love so i actually drove nearly all of the miles !!

The green card is what you obtain from your insurance company to allow you to drive through countries which are not in the EU.

G&D we now have a grandson and he is coming out here to live on the 18th,he just got his passport yesterday so he will be 1 month old when he gets here.

Paul

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Oh wow, and I was fed up driving from Manchester to Lowestoft!!
Great read, and well done to you mate.

chaz

Was that 2650miles or kilometers, I only ask because my computer works it out at about 2700km

dalid69

Hi Chaz my car is in MPH,it is roughly 2,000 miles from Dover to Izmir which is the way i plotted it,also i have nearly 270 or so Manchester to Dover then the rest from Izmir to Dalaman allowing for some mis direction from my sleeping navigator!!

Paul

GnD

:clap2: Great Congrats to you Carol and of course your son and new proud mum! Passport already. You are so efficient!:25:

dalid69

Sorry for the late addition to this post but had no internet for 1 week coutesy of TTK,their engineer acidentally knocked out half a dozen homes and it has taken a week to repair.

Any how i have no worked out my driving costs to the nearest i can

Total fuel costs came in at £329.31

Breakdown cover £41.76

Ferry Dover to Dunkirk £23.00

Serbia Green Card and tolls £120.00

Bulgaria road charge £5.00

So in total £514.07 but could have been £100 cheaper had my insurance sent me a green card as i asked them to which they insisted i didnt need !!

Just been looking at the costs to take the ferry back to Italy in August but this comes to over 500 Euros just for this leg so it looks like another ground breaking drive,anyone think i could do it back to the Uk in 2 Days ???

Paul

Well done Paul

I would really like to try it, but bit concerned bout the dangers of driving abroad, but must have been a great adventure.

Cheers Peter

jcrian

Great information Paul, Did you have any problems with the border crossings,partcularly taking your car into Turkey?
Have thought about doing it and your post has given me food for thought.

dalid69

Hi,if anyone is thinking of doing it then dont be frightened,we had no problems whatsoever,the roads for the majority of the journey were good and even driving into turkey was the fastest process i have encountered in the 2 years i have lived here.

We stopped in service stations and the usual services but never felt the need to be looking over our shoulders,one thing that did amuse us was that every country we went through there was an Ikea !!,wish we had a european ikea map as this would have made the journey easier.

Paul

jcrian

The way the price of oil is going which will increase flight prices makes driving there more sense.I get 60mpg running around in Wales and have managed 76.4 mpg on a journey to London.Could be cheaper than flying.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom