Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 25th April 2016, 05:39   #51 (permalink)
Kalkanite

Thanked 2,661 Times in 514 Posts
Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bringing a car to Turkey

Thanks Akasya.
Feeling a bit less gutted now. We just want to get home and book flights.

Update. Flights now booked.

Last edited by Kalkanite; 25th April 2016 at 06:28..
Kalkanite is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 11:00   #52 (permalink)

Thanked 3,041 Times in 1,061 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkanite View Post
I'm posting this from Hungary, on our way back to England.
We were fine to enter Turkey, but the car wasn't, due to the stupid 185 day rule. You can't stay out of Turkey for more than 120 in a year if you're a resident, but you can't take your car in.
Even the Turkish official seemed to think it was daft.
Many commiserations Kalkanite. It seems an absolutely crazy rule - another one. You have to question the purpose behind it. I would have been caught out if I hadnt read your post as we were due to enter on the 5th May. I am now going to detour and head to the Bulgarian Black Sea coast for 5 days - that should see me ok.

Last edited by WIDDRINGTON; 25th April 2016 at 11:25..
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
Kalkanite (25th April 2016)
Old 25th April 2016, 12:13   #53 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,837 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDDRINGTON View Post
Ibrahim- has this only been introduced in the last 12 months? Reason for asking is because as of last June I had been in and out of Turkey for the past 8 years -typically entry early May to mid July and re-entry early October to mid November - always with the same car . Last year I left 4th Nov and am due to enter Turkey again -hopefully- in 2 weeks time ?
I think it was introduced when they changed the maximum stay for a car from 6 months to 2 years.
Old 25th April 2016, 12:17   #54 (permalink)

Thanked 3,041 Times in 1,061 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
I think it was introduced when they changed the maximum stay for a car from 6 months to 2 years.
yes I think you are correct. Works against me for sure but may be beneficial for others. Cant see the logic behind it. ISIS threat didnt put me off selling up or returning to Turkey - however this daft rule might.
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
Kalkanite (25th April 2016)
Old 28th April 2016, 12:43   #55 (permalink)

Abzlad will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you had to go back just because of some silly conflicting and confusing rules. I am in Fethiye with my English car. I did start a thread about it which I am always updating in regards to what Fethiye customs are telling me. I am due to go back to them tomorrow to have the date stamp in my passport changed to match the length of my visa. One year. The new rule is that the car can stay for the length of your visa upto 730 days. I am under the impression that if I stay out of Turkey for more than 120 days in one stint. This automatically cancels my residency visa meaning my car will only be allowed to stay for the length of my tourist visa thus meaning the 185 day rule kicks in. (Although it should be only allowed to stay 90 days as per my tourist visa which confused the hell out of the Fethiye Customs Official)

I am planning to leave in late September for around 100 days so I will ask for as much information as possible while I am sorting this out. I will keep my post updated
Abzlad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 19:10   #56 (permalink)
Getting warmed up

Sextronic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzlad View Post
I will keep my post updated
So how did it go?
Sextronic is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 01:45   #57 (permalink)
stuart

stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold stuart is a splendid one to behold

My information is that the 120 day out of country cancelling residency has been dropped.
On entry to TR with car you will get permission stamped for up to 2 years depending on length of remaining residency or visa.
Once in TR with your car your permission can be extended up to the 2years at local customs office with new residency paperwork covering the period.
There is a condition that the car must have been out of TR for at least 185 days counted back from the new entry date.

Last edited by stuart; 30th May 2017 at 05:27.. Reason: addition
stuart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 16:48   #58 (permalink)
Getting warmed up

Sextronic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
There is a condition that the car must have been out of TR for at least 185 days counted back from the new entry date.
A vehicle AND its owner should be out of the country for at least 185 days during the previous year, if counting from the day of entry. Not just a car, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
My information is that the 120 day out of country cancelling residency has been dropped.
I heard the rule has been extended to 186 days, which is a regular practice among other countries. I guess having a link to the official enactment or some kind of legislative document regarding that would really help us a lot, do you happen to know what the source is? GÜMRÜKLER GENEL MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ @ ggm.gtb.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions-faq/accompanied-vehicles provides some info, but its very basic and might be outdated. For instance, what about the plates? Can i bring a vehicle from Afghanistan on plates without latin alphabet style letters and numbers? Should i deposit some cash at the customs in order to prevent me from selling the vehicle within the country, like Pakistan's CPD mandatory document? Actually, back in Pakistan they require to deposit at least half of what the vehicle was bought for, so it's a valuable sum.

Last edited by Sextronic; 1st June 2017 at 17:16.. Reason: Can't paste the link because of me having less than 15 messages yet..
Sextronic is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sextronic For This Useful Post:
Akasya (1st June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:08   #59 (permalink)

Abzlad will become famous soon enough

Just a quick update,

I returned to Turkey in the same car on 5th January 2017. I had left Turkey on 3rd October 2016 to head back to the UK. The original stamp in my passport for the car was for 2nd March 2017.

When I got to Ipsala border on 5th January 2017 they put a new stamp in only for 5 days upto 10th January 2017. The old 2nd March 2017 date was scrapped. They gave me 5 days as they assumed I might transit across Turkey hence the 5 days. I showed them my residence permit, dated until 2nd March 2017 also but it made no difference.

The reason they shortened it is because in the previous year I had spent 213 days in Turkey. That's 28 days over the 185 day rule. This tells the Turkish authories that my main place of residence is Turkey. So they go by that. If I had spent less than 185 in the previous year in Turkey then I would of got the full quota for my car.

Now, up until 10th April 2017. The fine for your car overstaying is 560tl. Considerably less than hiring a car here for those three months (current exchange rate 4.5tl-£1) after 10th April (three months) the fine if apparently big but I cannot get an answer from anyone about the amount but thousands seems to be the answer.

What I now understand is when you stay more than three months past your car stamp date they will fine you 560tl at the border but that's it. They cannot seize the vehicle. They cannot charge you anymore. You might get a court summons to your house about having to explain the overstay and paying some sort of fine but nobody knows anything about this.

I have read the Customs article about this, it's complicated and seems to be a percentage of something or other based on the value of car, maybe.

I am leaving Turkey permanently in the next few months so I'll just pay the 560tl and off I go. It's almost like it's more of a threat of a big fine more than a reality. Maybe the procedures are not fully in place. That's what customs told me, just pay the 560tl and leave. Don't worry.

Go figure
Abzlad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abzlad For This Useful Post:
Akasya (2nd June 2017), Leo (3rd June 2017)
Old 3rd June 2017, 07:10   #60 (permalink)
Leo

Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzlad View Post
Just a quick update,

I returned to Turkey in the same car on 5th January 2017. I had left Turkey on 3rd October 2016 to head back to the UK. The original stamp in my passport for the car was for 2nd March 2017.

When I got to Ipsala border on 5th January 2017 they put a new stamp in only for 5 days upto 10th January 2017. The old 2nd March 2017 date was scrapped. They gave me 5 days as they assumed I might transit across Turkey hence the 5 days. I showed them my residence permit, dated until 2nd March 2017 also but it made no difference.

The reason they shortened it is because in the previous year I had spent 213 days in Turkey. That's 28 days over the 185 day rule. This tells the Turkish authories that my main place of residence is Turkey. So they go by that. If I had spent less than 185 in the previous year in Turkey then I would of got the full quota for my car.

Now, up until 10th April 2017. The fine for your car overstaying is 560tl. Considerably less than hiring a car here for those three months (current exchange rate 4.5tl-£1) after 10th April (three months) the fine if apparently big but I cannot get an answer from anyone about the amount but thousands seems to be the answer.

What I now understand is when you stay more than three months past your car stamp date they will fine you 560tl at the border but that's it. They cannot seize the vehicle. They cannot charge you anymore. You might get a court summons to your house about having to explain the overstay and paying some sort of fine but nobody knows anything about this.

I have read the Customs article about this, it's complicated and seems to be a percentage of something or other based on the value of car, maybe.

I am leaving Turkey permanently in the next few months so I'll just pay the 560tl and off I go. It's almost like it's more of a threat of a big fine more than a reality. Maybe the procedures are not fully in place. That's what customs told me, just pay the 560tl and leave. Don't worry.

Go figure
Abzlad - As always, thank you for sharing your experiences of taking a vehicle into Turkey. Most informative.

I am planning to do the same, but before I do there is just one area of confusion I need some clarity on - and unfortunately, there appears to be different advice circulating - so it would be great to get your perspective.

I am not resident, but intend to apply shortly. I will be entering, with my car on a visit visa before I apply for residency.

Now here's the crux of the matter. Some say I have to have been out of Turkey for 185 days when I bring my car in (nb: my car has never been in Turkey previously). I previously visited only a few weeks ago (visit visa), so clearly I can return - but can I take my car this time ?

Yellali are saying yes - and that the criteria is that both I and my car can't have been in Turkey for more than 185 days in the previous 365 days, but others keep saying that there is a strict rule that both must have been out of the country for the preceding 185 days prior to return to Turkey.

I would be interested in your views.

Thanks again.
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
bringing , car , turkey