Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 27th June 2006, 10:13   #1 (permalink)

lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light
Cars in Turkey permits Tax & customs

Quote:
Hi.Anyone know of a cheapish car for sale around the Bodrum area ?
Lynne
I am sorry lynne, your question re buying a car is now in the bodrum forum, as that is where you are looking for one.

Lorraine

Last edited by lorraine; 13th July 2006 at 21:01..
lynne is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 12th July 2006, 21:18   #2 (permalink)

paul & emma is on a distinguished road
Re: Car

can you buy a car here? thought you needed to have permıt
paul & emma is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
Living in Okcular

Thanked 1,768 Times in 626 Posts
v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future v6cod has a brilliant future

You need to have a residence visa I believe, unless you know and trust someone and buy it in their name.

There is a turkish equivalent of autotrader

Link

I have done a search for the Mugla area in the above link.
v6cod is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 23:45   #4 (permalink)
Just a member

lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough

You will have a shock when you see the prices they ask, even for an old banger you will pay 1000Ä, which you would buy in the uk for about £50.00 at auction
Horrendous prices
Old 13th July 2006, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

starman will become famous soon enough

for you horrendous prices maybe but please look at the bigger picture. A brand new car is around the same as the UK but after a year the new car is still worth around the same price. Some dealers after 2 years will buy it back off you for the same price you paid for it.
Now buy a car for 10k in the UK and tell me how much you will get back after 2 years? yes horrendous indeed.
starman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 07:56   #6 (permalink)
Just a member

lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough

Yes second hand cars in Turkey will hold their value alot more, so in effect as you say Starman "the bigger picture" is long term its a better deal,
It comes as a shock many who see old cars and are told they are say 1000Ä
This is the same in France
Old 13th July 2006, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Hello All
Let me try to clear things up a little on this issue with what knowledge I have gained. Don't claim to know it all but know some. You actually don't need a resident visa to buy a car here. It is difficult to compare for example a 3 year old cars value here as compared to that same car in the UK. Until recently inflation was the reason the cars held their value so well. You could buy a car for say 30,000 YTL and three years later it could be 40,000 or more. So yes you may be able to get the same money or close to it that you paid but when you go to replace it then you have to pay the bigger amount. In the UK you would lose more off the price of the car right off the bat but when you go to replace that car three years later your not going to pay even near the 30% increase that the car in Turkey had increased. It is also becoming easier for Turks to get car loans. Before the banks had a program but with very high interest. Now the manufacturers are stepping up to the plate with their own programs which are a little more attractive to the consumer. Because inflation has been more stable the last couple years I can't see used cars continuing to hold their values like in the past. There is also a way you can buy a brand new car for less then half the regular MSRP. This is only for for foreigners that actually have a resident and working visa. You need to be able to get what is like a letter of guarantee from a local bank. This is an insurance for the government that you donít somehow get away with maybe leaving the country for good with a car that didnít have its taxís paid. There are some rules also. Only the owner and his/her immediate family can drive it. There are some others as I recall but none to serious. Many of the new car dealerships know nothing of this. Some do but because the purchase does not actually go through the dealership they prefer not to inform you. They hope you will buy the normal way at twice the price. The car you buy will have come through customs but the duty would not have been paid on it yet. You would have to go to Istanbul to pick it up I believe, not sure on that part. Itís a shame that the Turks are taxed so much on cars. Another tidbit of info. 4X4 cars and trucks cost much much more to license yearly then their 2 wheel drive counterparts. Lets take a Nissian pick-up for example. Normal licence fees are around 1,000 YTL a year where as the same truck in 4X4 will cost you around 1,200 YTL extra a year more. Thatís Nuts huh!!!!
Hope I was of some assistance.
Bob
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:19   #8 (permalink)
RIK

RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice RIK is just really nice

Hi Bob.As an owner of an imported car, there are one or misleading statements in your Post. I also don't know it all but the bits I do know are as follows.
You do not need a Work Permit to own an imported car.I am retired and have no work permit ( God forbid I should ever want to work again )
If you want to sell the car, then it would have to be to another Ex Pat as Turks would have to pay the Tax owed on it.
The biggest drawback is that if you wish to leave the country without it, then you have to take it to your local Customs Office that has a Compound.You will be charged 8 YTL ( inc. tax ) per day for leaving it there.You can only leave it for one month without there agreement for a longer period or the form that you have to sign is infact an agreement to give it to The Turkish Goverment if you do not collect it after one month.
Mine is only 35 minutes away but if you happen to live a distance then it is a problem.
If the office is closed for Holidays ( Bayram ) etc then you don't leave the country.
As I said, I don't know it all but Starman does and I think that he will reinforce what I have said.

Ian
RIK is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 20:03   #9 (permalink)
Non Active Member

starman will become famous soon enough

Ian, your right. just do a search for cars and its all written there.
starman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 20:10   #10 (permalink)
I miss you Pebble

Thanked 1,156 Times in 488 Posts
SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future SuperBogs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIK
Hi Bob.As an owner of an imported car, there are one or misleading statements in your Post. I also don't know it all but the bits I do know are as follows.
You do not need a Work Permit to own an imported car.I am retired and have no work permit ( God forbid I should ever want to work again )
If you want to sell the car, then it would have to be to another Ex Pat as Turks would have to pay the Tax owed on it.
The biggest drawback is that if you wish to leave the country without it, then you have to take it to your local Customs Office that has a Compound.You will be charged 8 YTL ( inc. tax ) per day for leaving it there.You can only leave it for one month without there agreement for a longer period or the form that you have to sign is infact an agreement to give it to The Turkish Goverment if you do not collect it after one month.
Mine is only 35 minutes away but if you happen to live a distance then it is a problem.
If the office is closed for Holidays ( Bayram ) etc then you don't leave the country.
As I said, I don't know it all but Starman does and I think that he will reinforce what I have said.

Ian
Thanks Ian

This is just information that I was given by the bank, the dealerships and a company in Istanbul called taurus-motors.com
They specialize in selling to foreigners. The guys name I talked with is Deniz Tekin and his e-mail addy is please pm me for details of email address.

I didn't know about having to have your car impounded by customs. This is the first time I heard this. I leave the country for atleast 3 months at a time when I go so this would be terrible for me. Trying to get the truth from the officials is like pulling teeth. They don't deal with this issue often and don't care to bother and learn about it it appears. Please help me in getting to the bottom of this, I will buy a lower taxed Nissian Nivara 2 wheel drive if thats the case. I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
Thanks Ian
Bob
SuperBogs is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
cars , customs , permits , tax , turkey