Classified Ads
  Egyptian Living Forum
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Cars and motoring in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2016, 10:46   #11 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,524 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed with a turkish plated car purchased abroad

My suggestion would be to bung it back in the auction. The 48 M plate is from Muğla (Bodrum/Marmaris area). Yes 'M' plates are for all foreigners, even if the car was from a dealer. There are also restrictions on who can drive 'M' plated cars in Turkey, (only the owner of immediate family).
Old 21st November 2016, 11:04   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,107 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem has to be documentation.

Unless you can show ownership here in Turkey and are able to transfer to someone here then Turkey is a no no for selling, as no one here would buy it.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
tintagel (21st November 2016)
Old 21st November 2016, 11:16   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 9,620 Times in 3,678 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
My suggestion would be to bung it back in the auction. The 48 M plate is from Muğla (Bodrum/Marmaris area). Yes 'M' plates are for all foreigners, even if the car was from a dealer. There are also restrictions on who can drive 'M' plated cars in Turkey, (only the owner of immediate family).
Great suggestion Not! Don't learn from a mistake, an ill judged decision, pass the problem on, create some misery & expense for somebody else to worry about
Old 21st November 2016, 11:34   #14 (permalink)

gabriel_uk is on a distinguished road

I suppose I could get straight back to the auction (transport is 150, auction fees 299, final price less 1600 as it will now be advertised as Turkish/outside of EU etc). Quite a big hit I'd say..
Or try to register it here but most likely will not be able to get a Euro4/Euro5 emission proof as in a European Certificate of Conformity now knowing the vehicle was not built to EU specifications. Catalytic converter exhausts cost a lot so manufacturer's not bothered to install where it is unnecessary.
This means road tax will most likely be outside the usual table margin. Either way it is a risk.
There is probably a slim chance the registered keeper is not eligible for tax free purchase and tax was paid upon initial purchase vehicle is quite new and very low kilometres hence it was most likely purchased new from a Turkish dealership. I wonder if I could trace back this registered keeper and see if we can reason something out to minimise both our losses so he can take his car back or transfer to a third party for more and I could receive just enough funds to purchase the same vehicle from the EU.
And before anyone says it I know this is a beautiful dream in an ideal non existent world

Last edited by gabriel_uk; 21st November 2016 at 11:46..
gabriel_uk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 11:40   #15 (permalink)

tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked the Auction owners if they will take it back & refund your monies? The car may be stolen, have a word with your local plod.
Old 21st November 2016, 11:53   #16 (permalink)

gabriel_uk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
Have you asked the Auction owners if they will take it back & refund your monies? The car may be stolen, have a word with your local plod.
It is definitely not stolen as it was sold at the direction of the police. If I rattle nest a bit maybe I could also get the proof of this but I know that if needed (say someone somewhere sometimes comes claiming otherwise) the UK police will back this up no matter what.

Auctioneer said it is not their fault. Vehicle was sold as seen and not advertised as TR /?EU / non EU or whatever else. Blind parking lot attendant's description does not count and a visit should have been made prior to bidding but we were busy at work and could not get there in time
gabriel_uk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gabriel_uk For This Useful Post:
Old 21st November 2016, 12:09   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_uk View Post
It is definitely not stolen as it was sold at the direction of the police. If I rattle nest a bit maybe I could also get the proof of this but I know that if needed (say someone somewhere sometimes comes claiming otherwise) the UK police will back this up no matter what.

Auctioneer said it is not their fault. Vehicle was sold as seen and not advertised as TR /?EU / non EU or whatever else. Blind parking lot attendant's description does not count and a visit should have been made prior to bidding but we were busy at work and could not get there in time
Do you know for a fact that it was sold at the direction of the Police, or are you relying on what the auctioneer has told you?

The Action house must have documentation that substantiates what they are claiming, the Police don't just phone up & ask them to sell vehicles.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:25   #18 (permalink)
PostPositive

Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,054 Posts
RedBloodedHound has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear you've been tucked up. Off to Trading Standards Office; ask if the sale was misrepresented. Don't waste your time arguing with the vendor, who has a vested interest in not taking back the goods.

Campaign to bring back Elevenses.
RedBloodedHound is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedBloodedHound For This Useful Post:
Old 21st November 2016, 12:33   #19 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,524 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
Great suggestion Not! Don't learn from a mistake, an ill judged decision, pass the problem on, create some misery & expense for somebody else to worry about
If I buy something second hand which, when I get home, is not suitable, I feel free to sell it on. Not all purchasers are in the same position, for example I never had to change headlights or speedometer, but it was a while ago. Maybe the next purchaser wishes to take it out of the UK and register it somewhere else.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:42   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
If I buy something second hand which, when I get home, is not suitable, I feel free to sell it on. Not all purchasers are in the same position, for example I never had to change headlights or speedometer, but it was a while ago. Maybe the next purchaser wishes to take it out of the UK and register it somewhere else.
This isn't something that just isn't Suitable, doesn't fit, isn't quite the right colour, size! This is a bl&&dy big Headache that needs to be sorted, Not passed on.

Tags
abroad , car , needed , plated , purchased , turkish