Classified Ads
  Egyptian Living Forum
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:13   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 6,352 Times in 2,265 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
DIY Garage Space

My friend runs a garage in Fethiye. His main business is VAG - VW, Audi, Mercedes and Skoda. He is a Master Mechanic and ex- rally team mechanic. He has done all the servicing and extensive tuning on my Audi.

Mugla has recently ordered that all Minibuses and Dolmus be renewed, which is why we see so many new vehicles. The downside for my friend is that the new vehicles must be serviced under warranty at a main Dealer for the first few years, so a part of his regular business will soon dry up until warranty periods expire.

That is the back story. We have been looking for ideas to use spare capacity and have decided to look at the facility to rent out garage facilities to those who want to do their own servicing.

He will rent out a garage bay, including 3000k four point lift, and basic tool kit for 40TL per hour. Other equipment including trolley jacks, engine hoist, gear box lift, air gun etc etc is available (some extra charge). His diagnostics at the moment is covering VAG, but he will invest in a plug-in full diagnostic for all vehicles. Mechanicīs involvement is charged extra. It will be available 7 days per week including evenings by arrangement.

That is the basic idea. I have been asked to draw up the advert using ideas gleaned from USA and UK sites doing the same thing.

Any ideas or tips relevant to the Turkish market?

I am not involved financially in this, just helping a friend.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
evo80 (3rd January 2017), lewknor (3rd January 2017)
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,589 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY Garage Space

Sounds like a good plan. What does the mechanic charge per hour if he does the work himself? I noticed the other day that our local Renault dealer charges 100TL per hour and 130TL for body work.
immac (3rd January 2017)
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:33   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, I will ask.

Other things included: Public Liability Insurance, disposal of waste (oil etc), WiFi, and advice. He stocks range of Castrol Oil and other fluids.

Idea is you bring your own tools and parts, rent what you donīt have but need, and get on with it.

He will mount cars on the lift so that nobody gets hurt or drops a vehicle off the lift.

Any ideas of what rates to charge extras at?

First adverts will be aimed at Ex-pats on Facebook.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:50   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,494 Posts
evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute

often used to wish there was somewhere near me in UK under cover where you could do your own work on car in the winter .. I remember I once had to urgently change brake shoes on a car, and I did it under a flyover out of the rain[had No garage back then ] . Council soon got wise to that and blocked it to stop people doing same . Lucky my garage is 18 by 15 so can get the motor in there now . But seems a good idea .
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evo80 For This Useful Post:
immac (3rd January 2017)
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:10   #5 (permalink)
lewknor

lewknor is just really nice lewknor is just really nice lewknor is just really nice lewknor is just really nice lewknor is just really nice

Sounds like a plan. However if Mugla insists on new lamps for old as it were, who will service the replaced vehicles or are they to be scrapped? Must be loads of work opportunities in servicing/maintenance not just VAG stuff.
lewknor is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewknor View Post
Sounds like a plan. However if Mugla insists on new lamps for old as it were, who will service the replaced vehicles or are they to be scrapped? Must be loads of work opportunities in servicing/maintenance not just VAG stuff.
No, not scrapped, but sold to non-public service duties I assume. A lot of servicing of mini buses was done because they had to do it, so my guess is that other commercial bus users may not be so careful. He has already seen a slow-down in business with lower tourist numbers (shuttle buses were a mainstay) so he is showing business sense looking to diversify into areas of work that nobody else is doing.

If this DIY idea takes off he is looking at an empty part of his garage to set up more work stations, but we need to test the water, so to speak.

Ian
Akasya (3rd January 2017), lewknor (3rd January 2017)
Old 3rd January 2017, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Sounds like a good plan. What does the mechanic charge per hour if he does the work himself? I noticed the other day that our local Renault dealer charges 100TL per hour and 130TL for body work.
He tells me his rate is 80TL per hour. My experience with him is to ask for a price on the whole job including parts.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (4th January 2017)
Old 15th January 2017, 05:59   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

This project is about to launch. Just rounding off the advert and creating Facebook page.

It is on 278 Sokak of the sanayi (industrial estate) and if you go to Google maps it is marked as "Ibrahim Usta VW".

Some price examples: bay with 3000Kg lift, tools and jacks will be 30TL per hour, with 4 hour blocks for 100TL. Rental of extras (per booking) like engine hoist @ 15TL; parts washer and fluid @15TL; Grinder @ 5TL; Diagnostic reading (by mechanic) @ 30TL; bluetooth endoscope @ 10TL.

If mechanic advice is requested that will be at 30TL for 30 minutes, and 50TL for hands on work.

He is starting with one bay, but if it takes off there is a spare space that would take another 4 bays.

Bookings being taken.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 15th January 2017 at 06:19..
Akasya (15th January 2017), tintagel (15th January 2017)
Old 15th January 2017, 08:08   #9 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

Excellent. Good luck to him.
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 08:08   #10 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 17,642 Times in 7,572 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Ian his public liability is just that, surely it won't cover the public using his tools and equipment, unless he of course specifies and extends his cover, great idea but just looking at from my angle ie would my cover as it stands allow me to loan my equipment to others, it wouldn't, and actually any employees wouldn't be covered without relevant training.
My garage has more fridges, freezers and laundry stuff than cars so a site like that would be useful here.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
immac (15th January 2017)

Tags
diy , garage , space