Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:51   #1 (permalink)

Lucky 7 will become famous soon enough
Dalaman Street Dogs

A very dear Friend of mine has adopted yet another Street Dog,which makes me wonder if there is anything the rest of us Dalaman Residents can do.

Puppy Season is almost upon us and I find it heartbreaking.

I know that the Turkish conception of Fund Raising is different to the UK, and it can be classed as work, but is there any way we can fund raise for neutering without upsetting anyone?

I would be happy to organise things even though I am not a Full time member of the community.

All of us Dog Lovers need to get out thinking caps on. I will be in Turkey from 13th March, and would organise a meeting of like minded animal lovers if the response is good enough.

If there is enough interest, I will contact the Animal Welfare people in Fethiye and find out they raise funds, and go to see our Mayor if necessary. (Volunteer needed for translation please.)
Lucky 7 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:58   #2 (permalink)

pembelu has a spectacular aura about pembelu has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dalaman Street Dogs

is the devlet dumping area/pound still in use up by the river as you go to the hills....i recal going fishing with hub & the dogs all around the cars & was told it wasnt that they were complete strays it was actually an area under control of the local gov where 'dogs go'
what happened to the posters i recal seeing in the centrum area on the main road...wasnt there some campaign last yr i recal....who sponsored that i dont know, maybe it was from further afield such as fethiye.
good luck with your efforts

Sokak hayvanları kısırlaŸtırılıyor
sorry its in Turkish
HAYDOST Başkanı Trkan Dağdelen
Türkan DaŸdelen
Hunger strike for animals Land of Lights – Local English Newspaper – Fethiye

Last edited by pembelu; 23rd February 2011 at 19:04..
pembelu is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:24   #3 (permalink)

matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lucky 7
Welcome to Dalaman and nice to hear that you are also concerned about the poor unwanted dogs around Dalaman.
The centre in the forest near to the cement factory at Akkaya is still open and as Pembu posted is run by Turkan.
She now gets help from blue cross in Germany also some funds from the local Belediye's
I have noticed a few more of the street dogs have actually been spayed recently & tagged.
But unfortunately there are still some that have not.
There is also a shelter in Gocek, which as been open for around 11 years, they do not put any dog down or turn them back out onto the streets.
They are now desperate for help, because due to Turkan now geting most of the funds from overseas charities, they are finding it hard to feed the dogs at the shelter.
They have volunteers who go and walk the dogs and puppys.
If you would like to help the Gocek shelter, i can get their details for you.
Personally i cannot give any money due to already having 7 dogs & 20 cats, and several street dogs that we feed.

Regards Matty.
matty is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matty For This Useful Post:
Angela Stansfield (24th February 2011), SonnyJim (23rd February 2011)
Old 24th February 2011, 13:14   #4 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 7 View Post
A very dear Friend of mine has adopted yet another Street Dog,which makes me wonder if there is anything the rest of us Dalaman Residents can do.

Puppy Season is almost upon us and I find it heartbreaking.

I know that the Turkish conception of Fund Raising is different to the UK, and it can be classed as work, but is there any way we can fund raise for neutering without upsetting anyone?

I would be happy to organise things even though I am not a Full time member of the community.

All of us Dog Lovers need to get out thinking caps on. I will be in Turkey from 13th March, and would organise a meeting of like minded animal lovers if the response is good enough.

If there is enough interest, I will contact the Animal Welfare people in Fethiye and find out they raise funds, and go to see our Mayor if necessary. (Volunteer needed for translation please.)

If you go on the Calis Beach Forum, sub section Animal Aid you will see posts re Fethiye Dogs Home, they also take cats. Contact Terrie or Tinkerman who post on this and who are involved with the Home.

I visited last summer and its very well run and the dogs are all happy and have lots of space to run in. As said before they need dog walkers and any donations.

My sister tells pet shops in the UK about the dogs home and she is given lots of things which she takes up to the home, unfortunately she has had to decline the large sacks of dog food she is offered.

Sue

A Dog Is For Life Not Just For Christmas
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 07:07   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all your Posts, really helpful.

I was thinking more about Dalaman Dogs that need help, I think Fethiye,Calis etc have more than they can cope with already.

I was keen to set up something local to us, not a rehoming centre, just a fund raising neutering programme.
Lucky 7 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 09:09   #6 (permalink)

pembelu has a spectacular aura about pembelu has a spectacular aura about

Dalaman€™daki hayvan barınaŸına övgü
sorry in turkish again
mentions dalaman

just my opinion but if you want to change peoples thoughts about animals also then working WITH turks would be more ideal would it not rather than a mainly expat set up?
The reason i posted the 1st post was to show there is a programme of sorts in existence & to consider getting invloved with the existing one could be as useful if not more useful than trying to raise interest for your own? just my opinion but then im not sure what you want.
On the ground neutering is most the most urgent thing but long term would be nice for people to somehow arrange education/school trips to places where kids can get invloved (if they dont do that already i dont know)....
as someone who wants to have kids here with my turkish husband i think the only way things will change long term is though educating people about animal care/responsibilty etc.
then after people power politians have to listen to public opinion.
maybe you can get ideas from the yalikavak set up with their caravan or indeed use ideas from others as u mention who work in shelters etc & also raise awareness & therefore funds/help in centrum somewhere where people will notice your cause.
just a thought but if Dalaman did 2nd hand sales or the like & you could have a charity stall that would be a nice idea. I think it raises awareness as lets face it most people shop & go to market :-)
if the municipality dont allow that what about yard sales or are they risky as someone could frisk your house or whatever they do
i just think seeing as Turkan is well known why not put all your thinking caps on & work together? or at least meet her & see if what she does/tries to do is along the lines of what you also want to fight for.
good luck with it all :-) let us know how you get on :-)
pembelu is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pembelu For This Useful Post:
flowerpotman (25th February 2011), ihutch (27th February 2011), matty (25th February 2011)
Old 25th February 2011, 12:01   #7 (permalink)

matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold matty is a splendid one to behold

I agree with you Pembelu, Education in schools is a must!
In the past, myself and others in Dalaman have raised money i.e Quiz nights, collecting from local companies for food at the dog shelter that Turkan was responsible for.
Turkan is now working alongside the Belediye's in Ortaca and Dalaman. She is also apparently getting help from other countries.too.They do have limited funds towards the neutering plan, and as i mentioned earlier, we have noticed that a few more dogs have now been tagged, but still unfortunately bitches roaming around without tags.
There have also been people that have made money from pretending that they care about the animals, and have been given free accomodation on the understanding that
they would feed & care for the strays, including horses!
I will not upset you with what happened to these poor animals.
The dog shelter in Gocek do also neature dogs from Dalaman too, but because Turkan is now getting all the funding they have been completly cut off, instead of All working to-gether!
I too wish lucky 7 the very best of luck, because you will need it!
We have another 6 month old kitten that is off to the vet tomorrow to be spayed she will be our 18th!!!

Regards Matty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matty For This Useful Post:
Harem (25th February 2011), Moggycat (26th February 2011), pembelu (25th February 2011), SonnyJim (25th February 2011)
Old 25th February 2011, 20:22   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for you input, but if I could drawn your attention to my original post, I did suggest that perhaps we could all put our heads together to come up with some ideas, and I did suggest a meeting for this very purpose if we could get enough people interested.

I heartily agree that education is ideal, but in the short term there will be more unwanted puppies born to uncertain futures.

I am not sure that Market Stalls etc would not be construed as "Working" and it for that very reason I did offer to go and see the Mayor to find out where we stand on Fund Raising.
Lucky 7 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 09:01   #9 (permalink)

Hi Lucky 7,
As i wrote myself and a few others in Dalaman have already tried, but unfortunately there was not enough support!...We did what we could at the time, when the Belediye started the spay & neaturing programme here in Dalaman a few years ago.
We did not give any money to the Belediye, with the money we collected,we bought much needed food blankets,feed bowls etc.
The only way i have found to get anything done regarding the unwanted animals here in Dalaman is to take any animal you feel needs to be spayed and pay for the operation yourself.
There is one very good vet in Dalaman, that if you explain to him it is a street animal that needs the operation,i'm sure he will give you a discount.
If you would like his telephone i can mess it to you.

Regards Matty.
The Following User Says Thank You to matty For This Useful Post:
pembelu (26th February 2011)
Old 26th February 2011, 20:13   #10 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,563 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Lucky 7,
A group has worked many years now in Kuşadası doing just the same as you wish to do.
They have a very good ongoing relationship with 2 vets in the town that will spey any cat or dog taken into them at a very much reduced rate. You or I or anyone else could take a street cat or street dog into the vet early morning, (cats must be in a carrier), pick the animal up later in the afternoon or early evening and the fundraisers are billed direct. No cash is taken from the person taking in individual animals as long as they tell the vet that it will be dealt with through the animal rescue group.

Cash is raised by holding table top sales, jumble sales, and raffles every week at quiz night at 'Gossips' restaurant.

The reduction in street animals over the last 15yrs that I've been in Kuşadası is phenominal. The couple that run Gossips deserve an award for the never ending work they've put in over the years.

Everything they sell is freely donated, the system works but it's endless voluntary work soley due to the fact that they are first and foremost true animal lovers.

Good luck with your efforts, if you want details of the people that run this, PM me. I'm not sure about giving names, phone numbers etc. on an open forum but I know they would give you good advice should you wish to talk to them. I've known them a long time, they're good people with hearts well and truely in the right place.

Tags
dalaman , dogs , street