FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Dalyan Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2011, 14:41   #1 (permalink)

casscat is on a distinguished road
Eating Out Recommendations

I know this question gets asked a hundred times a year but places do close and new ones open each season so I would appreciate some recommendations. I will be in Dalyan the first two weeks in Sept and staying in the Maras Mah area. I will be travelling with a family member who has some mobility issues but can walk, albeit with a stick and not far or fast. So essentially I am looking for some recommendations within reasonable walking distance. We are not on a particularly limited budget and just want a few suggestions where the food is great (and Turkish), the service is good, the welcome is warm and the setting is wonderful. Not much to ask huh! We were in Dalyan in 2008 but tended to stick to the restaurants in the centre near the river which were bustling and good for people watching but the food was not all that special. As this may be the last holiday we spend together I want it to be wonderful from start to finish and your suggestions for eateries and places to visit/unmissable trips would be most welcome.
casscat is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 24th August 2011, 16:45   #2 (permalink)

Starfish is on a distinguished road
Re: Eating Out Recommendations

I think you may find it more useful to take a look (or post your question) on the Dalyan Forum on Trip Advisor, as there are lots of restaurant recommendations from recent visitors. I have previously taken a relative with mobility problems (who needs a wheelchair some but not all the time) and found the waiters, and people generally, to be very helpful and considerate to the needs of those with mobility problems. Much more so than people in general here. There are so many restaurants in the compact centre of Dalyan that deciding where to eat really boils down to personal preferance. Do take care; the pavements are not terribly wheelchair friendly, the roads have speed humps and the restaurants' furniture often extends to the kerb! Enjoy your holiday.
Starfish is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:43   #3 (permalink)

dstearn will become famous soon enough dstearn will become famous soon enough

Currently the best restaurants are said to be:- La Vie, Hidden Garden (off the Maris) & Remsi's Restaurant (next to the new Sevikoglu), I believe Aubergine & Cottage garden on the lake end of the front are very good. These recommendations are from locals who tend to know what is what.
dstearn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:49   #4 (permalink)

ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold ZiaCa' is a splendid one to behold

There's small family run restaurant which serves nice traditionally cooked food along the road that runs parallel to the riverside restaurants. Really nice food and good prices, very popular too, that must say something! However, I can't remember what it's called...but as far as I can remember that's the only one on that road other than the Tree House in the Maras area (which incidentally is also quite nice!)

Youth is wasted on the young!
Eddie, Pearl Jam
ZiaCa' is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 21:30   #5 (permalink)

casscat is on a distinguished road

I hadn't thought about Trip Advisor - I'll have a look there for restaurant recommendations too but I am grateful for the comments so far. Given that I don't know where any of these places are do you know of a 'restaurant map' of Dalyan which will help me locate them? As a former Kalkan regular who cannot go there any more because of the mobility issues I mentioned in my original post (way too hilly) I have previously had really useful maps of the culinary lie of the land and if there is a similar map for Dalyan I would love to be directed to it.
casscat is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 22:30   #6 (permalink)

Unfortunately I don't think there are any official Dalyan restaurant maps or guides but somebody on Trip Advisor actually put together their own map (using the existing google map I think) with most of the restarants on, then posted a link to it. I can't remember who did this but if you were to post a message as a new topic asking if anyone knows how to access the map I'm sure you would get an answer. It's easy to do. If you're not already a member you'll need to become one - it only takes a few minutes. There are lots of threads about individual restaurants as well as quite comprehensive reviews posted by holidaymakers. Good luck.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:26   #7 (permalink)

dstearn will become famous soon enough dstearn will become famous soon enough

Bear in mind the scandal a couple of months ago with Trip Advisor hotels paying for good recommendations on the site.
dstearn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:50   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 4,720 Times in 1,747 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

And also bear in mind certain restaurants and hotels in Dalyan (and I'm sure elsewhere) posted their own glowing reviews under fake names.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:56   #9 (permalink)

The above comments about Trip Advisor are very true and you will always get people who abuse the system, but the majority of members who post reviews etc are just holidaymakers/restaurant goers who want to give their personal opinion about a place/service etc. To ascertain the probability of someone being a genuine Trip Advisor member, click on their pseudonym and you will find a list of their previous postings and the subject of them. Read through some of their postings and you will get to know a little bit about their character and you can see if they post regularly about a certain area or topic. The names of some forum members crop up regularly and it's quite clear to see that they are genuine members. Personally I tend to be wary of reviews etc by members who have posted only once as these could be (but are not necessarily) fake. You will find many regular contributors of the Trip Advisor Dalyan Forum who are clearly holidaymakers and who have contributed their opinions about restaurants etc in order to help give an overview to Trip Advisor users.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish For This Useful Post:
Lokum97 (27th August 2011)
Old 30th August 2011, 16:03   #10 (permalink)

ihutch is a glorious beacon of light ihutch is a glorious beacon of light ihutch is a glorious beacon of light ihutch is a glorious beacon of light ihutch is a glorious beacon of light ihutch is a glorious beacon of light

Casscat, you could post your question and have a look on the Dalyan Live forum, which is a forum for Dalyan and nearby villages lovers. They try all the restaurants while they are here - which is frequently so will have up to date true comments. As already said some restaurants and hotels etc post their own recommendations - these people have first hand knowledge of eating out. Enjoy your stay.
ihutch is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
eating , recommendations