kaplumba

Nirva Beach Club
This was one of my favourite spots despite it being a bit pricey. It was an attractive relaxing place and one of Datca's better recent developments. I was chatting to the owner today on Facebook chat and was shocked to hear it has been destroyed. He said it was destroyed by the Belediye and there had been all kinds of petitions for it to be closed down from local businesses. I feel sorry for him as it was a nice place with limited impact on the environment, it also provided jobs for people. He said that Datca people hate incoming businesses and I have heard that so many times before. Anyway here is a petition with some information as I know some of the Datca Gals enjoyed visiting sometimes. I haven't had time to translate it yet so I haven't signed but may do once I understand it.
http://www.change.org/petitions/dat...-belediyesi-nin-nirva-tesisi-yikim-uygulamasi

Last edited:
Nirva Beach Club
So sad and a terrible situation when there cannot be healthy competition. Nirva has been there a few years...why shut it down now I wonder....

We had some great times there a very relaxing modern place ..will miss it

kaplumba

Nirva Beach Club
If you look on their Facebook page there is a little video showing the demolition. Lots of Belediye and Police etc standing around while a few council workers beaver away pulling everything down. At least with this it was low impact on the environment and there will not be piles of concrete lying around looking awful. It will quickly go back to wild land.

Mavideniz

Nirva Beach Club
Very sorry to hear this. It was a nice place and very imaginatively done. They had spent alot of money on it.
It was rather pricey, but it was a good attempt to do something low-impact and stylish.

Nirva Beach Club
It shouldn't really have got permission in the first place, as the whole area is an archaeological site under the control of the Dept of Antiquities. There have been rumours that the area is going to be developed, watch this space.

kaplumba

Nirva Beach Club
If they did give permission and then had a change of mind , it's not good. I also heard there were to be larger developments there which is a shame. At least Nirva was low impact with little or no concrete. If there is skull duggery here and they then chuck up some larger development it's pretty bad.

kaplumba

Nirva Beach Club
Haha I know and that is why I said it Linda! I felt sorry for the owner this morning. It was such a well thought out, attractive place and it must have been heart breaking to watch it being destroyed.

http://vimeo.com/62656892

Last edited:
Nirva Beach Club
Not the only change you'll notice when you're here next! Several places, including Mocca, have been forced to take their canopies down in the harbour.

Nirva Beach Club
Sadly, the old prison has been pulled down and a new - and ugly - building put up in it's place. I spent a day last week, as usual this time of the year, taking photos and it was noticeable how many more of the old buildings have disappeared. On the street where I now live, which used to be all old houses, 2 more have been demolished and a hotel and a large house (belonging to the owners of Culinarium) built instead. As I said, you'll see a lot of changes!!! :eek:hwell:

kaplumba

Nirva Beach Club
Sadly, the old prison has been pulled down and a new - and ugly - building put up in it's place. I spent a day last week, as usual this time of the year, taking photos and it was noticeable how many more of the old buildings have disappeared. On the street where I now live, which used to be all old houses, 2 more have been demolished and a hotel and a large house (belonging to the owners of Culinarium) built instead. As I said, you'll see a lot of changes!!! :eek:hwell:

Every year when we arrive for the first visit we notice many changes. It's progress and some of the changes are good. Some of those old buildings are not so attractive but unfortunately their replacements are often a bit ugly too. That old prison wasn't particularly beautiful but it was part of the ramshackle harbour look that we quite liked.
What about the new marina Linda? Any signs of them finishing that off or have they just demolished the island and left it?
When I was chatting to the Nirva boss (think it might be a she not a he) she said they were hoping to rebuild eventually.

Mavideniz

Nirva Beach Club
It's probably correct that Nirva was built without permissions, but it was all semi-temporary construction and the owners must have thought that the Belediye would tolerate it.
I know that part of Kargi Koyu is SIT Alan, 3rd grade. This may be what has saved this very pretty bay from being ruined until now.
Unfortunately SIT Alan 3 is the lowest grade of archaeological protection and can be overturned without too much difficulty by the Belediye if they want to develop the bay.
There are also particular environmental considerations in this bay - in particular two rivers which rise from a quite a shallow aquifer.
I really hope that the Belediye does not ruin the place. It is the one of the really attractive things in Datca. It would be a tragedy to see it covered in a high-density development. This would do Datca no favours at all.
Is there any kind of local movement in Datca to stop development in Kargi Koyu?

Nirva Beach Club
Re Kargi - haven't heard of any protest group yet, but if development gets the go-ahead I imagine that the local environmental group may well get involved. However, not sure how much influence they have.

Re the marina - a huge mess at the moment, a scar on the landscape; actually I can't bear to look at it and haven't walked that way in months. I'm walking to the Eski Knidos area these days, one of the last remaining relatively unspoilt areas, covered in flowers at the moment and looking glorious!

Kanga

R.I.P
Nirva Beach Club
We were told last year that Nirva would close and not re-open, and it was closed when we were there in September. I doubt if there could be any serious building there because of the amount of marshland there. It's wet all year.
I really hope there is no major new development there. The weddings and other does at Yesim are a nightmare. One lavatory for 1000 guests is disgusting. We went there the day after a wedding last May and the changing rooms all stank of stale p!55, so you can imagine what I was standing on! There is no tide to clean the beach so that is frequently smelly too after a do. We complained, and they hose out the changing rooms, but money talks and there doesn't appear to be any appetite for hygiene or portaloos.The noise is way above the supposed max allowed on the marina and goes on until sometimes 2 in the morning. Totally unfair when businesses in town have to stop earlier.

Last edited:

Kanga

R.I.P
Nirva Beach Club
JBK44 - is that the whole of Kargi or just the Nirva part????? I think we should be told! Who is the broker please?

Nirva Beach Club
Re the old prison,we understood this to be up the road where Tansas is past the school on the junction on left hand side,where was the one in town?.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom