FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Doing business in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2013, 17:46   #1 (permalink)

austriamark is on a distinguished road
Investing in a Turkish business

Hi,

I have been following this forum for a while and searched around but I struggle finding a clear answer to my issue.
I have been reading a lot on invest gov tr and what I cannot seem to find is:

Can I invest in a turkish business and get a ROI without being employed in the business?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
austriamark is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 15th April 2013, 18:27   #2 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold
Re: Investing in a Turkish business

Yes you can - however a lot would depend on what sector you are interested in, the format of your investment and how that investment is used in TR.

JF
Old 15th April 2013, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
Sun Worshipper

Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Would you like to Introduce Yourself?

What sort of business are you interested in?
Old 15th April 2013, 18:49   #4 (permalink)

austriamark is on a distinguished road

Yes sorry for being so rude and not introduce myself. I am Austrian and have a business in Austria that I manage mainly online. I currently live in a small town close to Mugla and spend about 10 months a year in Turkey.

The business I am interested in is a kiteschool (as in kitesurfing) that is owned by an owner that I know very well. She is turkish and has the business registered as a Limited Liability Company, with a 100.000TL capital.

Currently there are 4 turkish employees, excluding the owner.

I have a very good idea of the revenue and profit that is made so I believe that I can safely project the value of the business from that end.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
austriamark is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 18:59   #5 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold

The only "tips" I can think of is that you carry out due diligence on the company and ensure that there are safeguards in place re your investment.

A major factor will be the integrity of your business partner...

JF
suzyq (15th April 2013)
Old 16th April 2013, 06:11   #6 (permalink)
Sun Worshipper

Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of

It sounds promising.

Just hope you don't get bogged down with the paperwork, which can be a nightmare.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:38   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,540 Times in 2,788 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

The only observation I would make is that you should be as diligent as you would be if you were doing the same thing in Austria. How will your investment be protected, what are the assets of the company, how will you monitor the accounts (in Turkish), how do you get out of it if there is a problem?

A school like this will probably have no assets to speak of and can close down in a second, so why does it have, or need, 100,000TL, and why does it need more if it is making money. That is - if it is that good, why does she want a partner to put more money into such a scheme?

Remember (and I am making some assumptions), you are doing business in a country where you donīt speak the language, donīt know the law, lawyers can not always be trusted to act as you would want, contracts are not safe, and are looking at a business that at best is seasonal and can close in a second: if you were asked to invest in this in Austria, would you do it?

Ian

Last edited by immac; 16th April 2013 at 06:41..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Akasya (16th April 2013), Ceni (16th April 2013)
Old 15th May 2013, 19:52   #8 (permalink)
South African

Tony30525 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Investing in a Turkish business

I have noted the contents above and also find it strange, but on a slightly different note, but same topic, I am wanting to emigrate at some stage over the next couple of years to hopefully Kusadasi, where I already own an apartment near Ladies beach.

I would like to be self employed, but would need to know the minimum requirements that meet with legislation pertaining to foreighners owning businesses in Turkey.

I am currently self employed in South Africa (and yes I am white lol) I own a security company and am married with a 6 year old daughter.
My daughter would also need schooling of some sort, which is also a concern.

I am not much of a people person, in that, I mean I would not be a suitable candidate to own a reastaurant or coffee shop.
However I am open to ideas, and assistance.

Kind regards

Anthony
Tony30525 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 07:13   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 3,928 Times in 1,531 Posts
scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute scotssteve has a reputation beyond repute

HI Guys

As has been said of course you can invest in an existing company here in Turkey (with all normal due diligence) or indeed form your own company.
My best piece of advise would either be to learn the language or be prepared to have a translator with you (and paid) for all your business meetings.

A good solicitor not connected in any way to the existing business/owner is also essential as will be a good accountant.

As you will not be working the business- regular audits are also essential

Best wishes to you both
Old 16th May 2013, 07:23   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 11,986 Times in 4,413 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austriamark View Post
Can I invest in a turkish business and get a ROI without being employed in the business?
Yes, but how good a ROI you get when taking into consideration the expenditure needed to protect your investment and keep a keen eye on it is another question.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
business , investing , turkish