FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Doing business in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2014, 19:57   #1 (permalink)

Bavarian is on a distinguished road
Bringing a German Fashion label to turkey

Hi there,

I am new here to this forum and was wondering if I could get some helpful tips regarding bringing a new Germany based Shoe Fashion label to turkey.

little Info regarding my experience in Turkey so far..

I moved to Istanbul 3 years ago and was working up until a few month ago as a German/English teacher but was unable to get a work permit even though I hold a German Masters degree in Business and Trade Management. The reason why I couldn't get a work permit or my educational background accepted was simply due to the fact that my school wasn't listed at YÖK. I then contacted Berlin the "Department of education", after them being furious on the phone asking me how this is possible they said that they are very sorry but can't do anything. After fighting for almost 3 years with the authorities here in Turkey I finally gave up and decided to start my own Business in form of a "Zeha Berlin" branch in Istanbul.

My question and I hope someone here in the forum is able to help me...

Does anybody here ever brought successfully a new brand label to turkey and if so how or what steps do I need to take.
Has anybody here have tips for me which steps I need to take..

I know quite a lot regarding the Turkish mentality due to my wife being Turkish.
I also know that it doesn't matter what you know or how good your education is, it is all about who you know..

Thanks a lot in advance...

Last edited by Bavarian; 4th November 2014 at 21:07..
Bavarian is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 4th November 2014, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
"Light Years Away"

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,476 Posts
newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute newhorizon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bringing a German Fashion label to turkey

Welcome to TLF!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your request, but am sure someone who has tried to bring a foreign business label into Turkey may give you some pointers.

Many people seem to have bought property in Turkey or deal with business related with property e.g real estate, property maintenance etc but I've not heard much non property related businesses, unless its to do with food or transportation.

The fact your wife is Turkish you will surely know the way business is done there and this should help.

I note there are a lot of Germans in Turkey too so your business should get a lot of local support. Good luck in your new venture.
Old 4th November 2014, 21:30   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much newhorizon,

Even my Wife is getting a little frustrated with how Business is done here.
Never the less I am sure that one way or the other it will work out.

Thanks again..
Bavarian is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Hi there,

I am new here to this forum and was wondering if I could get some helpful tips regarding bringing a new Germany based Shoe Fashion label to turkey.

little Info regarding my experience in Turkey so far..

I moved to Istanbul 3 years ago and was working up until a few month ago as a German/English teacher but was unable to get a work permit even though I hold a German Masters degree in Business and Trade Management. The reason why I couldn't get a work permit or my educational background accepted was simply due to the fact that my school wasn't listed at YÖK. I then contacted Berlin the "Department of education", after them being furious on the phone asking me how this is possible they said that they are very sorry but can't do anything. After fighting for almost 3 years with the authorities here in Turkey I finally gave up and decided to start my own Business in form of a "Zeha Berlin" branch in Istanbul.

Does anybody here ever brought successfully a new brand label to turkey and if so how or what steps do I need to take.

I know quite a lot regarding the Turkish mentality due to my wife being Turkish.
I also know that it doesn't matter what you know or how good your education is, it is all about who you know..

Thanks a lot in advance...
They do accept one of everything in Turkey, then copy it.

A friend of mine (Turk) had a shoe shop there & his suppliers were in Istanbul, Izmir & another city of which the name escapes me. I do know he was dealing with manufactures as opposed to wholesalers. Actually I used to take him over the Next catalogues for the shoe pictures.

I wish you well.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 22:02   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

Bavarian
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your venture.
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 07:35   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,585 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post

I also know that it doesn't matter what you know or how good your education is, it is all about who you know...
Looking at their German Web site it looks like every other shoe shop in Turkey. Why is it going to be good business to import when they can buy on-line at discount prices?

I buy my shoes from UK and USA on-line and get a better price and more choice.

You need to find a niche market - something nobody else is doing - and work out who your customers will be and the price point at which it will sell. Then you need to develop the business quickly to avoid others using your idea, as they surely will, if they can.

If you start importing shoes you need to factor in shipping costs and the cost of a Customs Agent. That will add to your costs and may price you out of the market if there are lots of similar products, which brings me back to my starting point: check the on-line shops for shoes and you will see the problem you will hit - price and choice.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 5th November 2014 at 07:38..
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 08:25   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 3,853 Times in 1,594 Posts
beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute

İmport tax runs from 75% to 175% making such goods available only to the luxury market
also the amount of paper work involved in any importation is enormous. You must have a Chamber of Commerce near you take the wife and talk to them as a starting point.

Last edited by beyazbayan; 5th November 2014 at 17:40..
beyazbayan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:37   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
Looking at their German Web site it looks like every other shoe shop in Turkey. Why is it going to be good business to import when they can buy on-line at discount prices?

I buy my shoes from UK and USA on-line and get a better price and more choice.

You need to find a niche market - something nobody else is doing - and work out who your customers will be and the price point at which it will sell. Then you need to develop the business quickly to avoid others using your idea, as they surely will, if they can.

If you start importing shoes you need to factor in shipping costs and the cost of a Customs Agent. That will add to your costs and may price you out of the market if there are lots of similar products, which brings me back to my starting point: check the on-line shops for shoes and you will see the problem you will hit - price and choice.

Ian
I understand your point of view but it seems like you never had Handmade 100% Italian leather shoes in your hand.
5 years ago Zeha tried to set foot in turkey with using a Turkish distributor which ended up in a Legal Battle which lasted 2 years. This Distributor and a shoe manufacturer stole our name, designs and put them in to their name.
We won the battle and we learned our lesson...first impression regarding doing business in turkey.

I had meetings with Kemal Tança and Elle and both of them said that they never had such high quality shoes in their hands, specially the "Carl Haessner" sneaker.

Regarding the import shipping cost ect., I am very well prepared due to my educational background.

It seems like I just need to find the right connections to make it work.

Thank you very much for your answer and your point of view..
Old 5th November 2014, 10:38   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,585 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome. Good luck.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:39   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyazbayan View Post
İmport tax runs from 75% to 175% making such goods available only to the luxury market
also the amount of paper work involved in any importation is enormous. You must have a Chamber of Commerce near you take the wife and talk t6o them as a starting point.

I am aware of that.
The fact that the Company is German based eases the whole process due to having a special trade agreement with turkey.

Thanks a lot for your answer..

Last edited by Bavarian; 5th November 2014 at 17:02..

Tags
bringing , business , establish , fashion , german , label , turkey