FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Doing business in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2006, 13:56   #11 (permalink)
Can't get enough

jane2005 will become famous soon enough jane2005 will become famous soon enough
Re: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

Thank you very much Guz, it hasn't put me off at all, it's just opened my eyes a bit. Next time I will think before I act. Not everything is smooth sailing here, but then again where is????
Old 4th December 2006, 14:22   #12 (permalink)

TurkeyPropertyCentre will become famous soon enough
-->: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

I don't think I was harsh - I am a patriot - I love my country and I defend it when people say bad things about it. Sorry if you think it was harsh - but I love my country. All I said was if you don't like my country why come here? I never said he was not welcome - just his derogatory comments are not.

Yetkin - currently having English Lessons!
Old 4th December 2006, 14:52   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,585 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to hear about people's experiences and not have them told to keep quiet. If the experience is true, it is valid that we should hear about it.
Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 14:56   #14 (permalink)

Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold Gail is a splendid one to behold
Re: -->: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPropertyCentre
I don't think I was harsh - I am a patriot - I love my country and I defend it when people say bad things about it. Sorry if you think it was harsh - but I love my country. All I said was if you don't like my country why come here? I never said he was not welcome - just his derogatory comments are not.

Yetkin - currently having English Lessons!
Yetkin, you can't expect people to come on here and say it went well when it didn't. I think it's wonderful that you are so patriotic but bad things happen everywhere, even in Turkey! This thead is for people to tell their truthful accounts of what has happened to them in business, it might just help someone else out who is thinking of going into business.

You're English is difinitely improving, it's nearly as good as my Turkish - that really is a joke
Gail is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 15:05   #15 (permalink)

cenk is on a distinguished road
Re: -->: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail
Yetkin, you can't expect people to come on here and say it went well when it didn't. I think it's wonderful that you are so patriotic but bad things happen everywhere, even in Turkey! This thead is for people to tell their truthful accounts of what has happened to them in business, it might just help someone else out who is thinking of going into business.

You're English is difinitely improving, it's nearly as good as my Turkish - that really is a joke
I dont say that way of making business in Turkey is perfect , I agree that some bad things happens everywhere and raifiki is free to tell his experience here , it doesnt matter if it is a good or bad one .
But it matters if he use a language like he used
cenk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 15:10   #16 (permalink)

TurkeyPropertyCentre will become famous soon enough
-->: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

Hi Gail

I know for sure bad things happen in Turkey, like I know the same in all countries.

I think people coming to Turkey will find many ways of business different. I would if I worked in UK I think. But the post insults Turkish people and their families, the way we are.

We are not amatuers, not most of us, just different values sometimes.

I do not understand why members here attack me, second time now. It is not harsh to say don't come to Turkey if you have such things to say about our country. If I had such bad things to say about UK, I would not want to go back.

Fact is I stayed in UK and love it
Old 4th December 2006, 15:38   #17 (permalink)
Higgy

Higgy is a jewel in the rough Higgy is a jewel in the rough Higgy is a jewel in the rough

It's like one of those good books that you can't put down.

Seriously people should and can have their say but please do
we have to be rude about each others country and differences, if
you have to be rude do it in private ( another thread I fear) so as
not to upset your hosts. Let's see the back of this one

Okay I'll get my coat.
Higgy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 15:55   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,585 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

What I would like to hear about from our Turkish members - perhaps in a new thread - is how some of these problems can be avoided by foreigners starting in business.
There are different ways of doing things, and if someone moves out here without understanding those issues they are going to run into problems.
However the problems that started this thread - legally based or not - came about, there must be a way round them. Lets hear some advice rather than a defence of the Turkish business world.
Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 16:49   #19 (permalink)
I am a Turk

VWBug will become famous soon enough VWBug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman
Let me just say that NOT everyone is out to rip you off. I for one find doing business here just the same as any where else but done differently. Crooks are around everywhere in what ever country but things are done here the Turkish way and not the British way.
Why do you think big CEO's take a cultural training course once they move here? You just cant bring your work ethics from your last country and install them here.
Learn the language, learn the culture and you would have better success at running a business.
Remember, you cant just go around and call anyone a theif, it takes on a different meaning here as does questioning someones honour etc etc.
This why learning the culture and language is so important. if you show you dont trust Turks, accuse them of things, etc then word gets around (even faster in resorts) amongst the community and then it makes things harder for you.
Like immac said, it is very good idea to hear also from Turkish People what to do what not if you run a business in Turkey.
I have reacted to Rafiki because he used our country illegally by running his business and made his money without paying taxes and now he comes and tells people here how horrible running business in Turkey. I don't think he has right to even speak here about my country. Because he did not deserve his tax free money from Turkey. I will make sure look into that if he returns to Turkey to get his taxes paid for his business he gained income and also have a property there probably renting and not paying any income taxes.
Like Starman says, word goes around very fast between Turkish people.
For me the best reply was from Starman, he gives very good advice all the time even he is not a Turkish businessman. I can see he defends the Country he lives in and run his business. Even he admits that there are problems with running business in Turkey.
As a Turk also had experience having business in Turkey I would say the same words here as Starman did. If you see more reaction to this thread from Turkish people to a illegal British business owner please be ready. I hope I don't see other Legal British business owners will defend an illegal one here on this lovely Turkish-British forum.
Old 4th December 2006, 17:32   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 7,806 Times in 1,920 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute

The thread was about people doing business in Turkey, it has instead turned into personal attacks and hidden threats, all I am trying to do is to show what sort of problems people can have being a businessman in Turkey, so other would be businessmen/women can learn and not make the same mistakes.

Knowing the language I feel is the biggest problem anyone will encounter, as it would be anywhere else.

Please try to keep to the spirit of the thread and not get over sensitive, this is definetly not a thread to attack Turkey or Turkish people in anyway.

Tags
business , experience , turkey