FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Doing business in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2006, 17:49   #21 (permalink)
Andy

rafiki is just really nice rafiki is just really nice rafiki is just really nice rafiki is just really nice rafiki is just really nice
Re: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBug
Like immac said, it is very good idea to hear also from Turkish People what to do what not if you run a business in Turkey.
I have reacted to Rafiki because he used our country illegally by running his business and made his money without paying taxes and now he comes and tells people here how horrible running business in Turkey. I don't think he has right to even speak here about my country. Because he did not deserve his tax free money from Turkey. I will make sure look into that if he returns to Turkey to get his taxes paid for his business he gained income and also have a property there probably renting and not paying any income taxes.
Like Starman says, word goes around very fast between Turkish people.
For me the best reply was from Starman, he gives very good advice all the time even he is not a Turkish businessman. I can see he defends the Country he lives in and run his business. Even he admits that there are problems with running business in Turkey.
As a Turk also had experience having business in Turkey I would say the same words here as Starman did. If you see more reaction to this thread from Turkish people to a illegal British business owner please be ready. I hope I don't see other Legal British business owners will defend an illegal one here on this lovely Turkish-British forum.
VWBug...you never fail to amaze me with your defensive remarks and threats whenever a member of this forum posts anything vaguely critical in regard to anything Turkish, you have even gone as far as to send me a threatening pm in the past. It is all very well being 'Proud to be a Turk' however this forum does give members the oppertunity to voice their views and pass comment on their experiances of life in Turkey from a foreigners point of view either good or bad.
Turkish people, their way of life, their habits, values, religion, work ethics, language etc ARE on the whole different to ours...The fact that they are different effects the average British person living and working in Turkey which is precisely what we are discussing on this thread.
Instead of reacting in your normal defensive way perhaps you could try instead to see people posts for what they are: personal opinions..these are something that we are all entitled to the same as you are entitled to yours. If you can't accept the fact that other peoples views will not always agree with your own then perhaps you would do better no longer participating in the disscusions on this forum.
I did find it frustrating the times that I worked together with Turkish people...the reasons I gave for this were real and did happen so why should I not voice them on this forum?.
Turkey and Turkish people as with any other country or people in the world are not perfect, to think and act as if they are serves no purpose at all.
Old 4th December 2006, 19:06   #22 (permalink)

beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all beachhhhhhh is a name known to all

If I was in Mushtag's shoes I'd feel like giving up.
It must be a knightmare trying to run these forums with the slanging matches going on.
For god sake, some of you, calm down and get back on topic without the over-sensitivity and insults.

Last edited by beachhhhhhh; 4th December 2006 at 19:08..
beachhhhhhh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 19:36   #23 (permalink)

Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough

Of course there are problems doing business in Turkey. I myself as a Turk think twice before attempting to do something.

The problem might be the language used when talking about experiences. If you start with saying "Turkish people" and then go on with "they" what do you expect me to understand?

Not everyone in Turkey is an estate agent, hotel owner or working in tourism sector and not all of us live in holiday spots where there are many people coming from every part of Turkey, who live in very poor conditions in their home town. Of course this is not an excuse to rip off someone or lie or behave dishonestly but these things help to understand the situation.

I remember a thread about British people. I am not sure so if I am wrong please tell me (I am sorry I dont have much free time these days so I couldn't use the search button to find it). If I say, after reading that thread, :
"I have read something about British people. They are all aggressive. They drink all day and ......" Isnt it unfair for a country with a population of about 60 million at the April 2001 UK Census.

I really dont know the number of English teachers from the UK I have known so far.

If I said all the teachers coming from the UK go into the classroom after they have had a couple of beers, they don't come to classes without a proper reason(because there was a party last night) and when the pay day comes they want their money for that day would it be fair to say something like "British people do this do that...."

We call it "lojman" in Turkish. Accomodation provided for foreign teachers by the company. I have seen so some teachers from Britain who left the place better than they first moved in but seen many who left the place in an unrecognisable condition. Can I say British people do this do that.... Is it fair?
I know there are many who came here to make a living or to see a different place. And I know very well some of these people had bad experiences with language schools. But language schools had some very experiences with some of them.

So please dont call it a diplomatic language. Even if it is, we sometimes better use a diplomatic language.

Even if you contribute to the economy of a country (I am not sure about this) you cant have the right to generalise in this way. No one of us should have this right.

I just came home after a tiring day to read a few words from you but I got disappointed with what I saw. Dont get me wrong. I am not against telling bad experiences. As I said before as a Turk I think twice before attempting to anything but let's not call being polite a diplomatic language.

I would like to write more but I need to fill my stomach as a fat man.
Serdar is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 19:42   #24 (permalink)

Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough Serdar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac
What I would like to hear about from our Turkish members - perhaps in a new thread - is how some of these problems can be avoided by foreigners starting in business.
There are different ways of doing things, and if someone moves out here without understanding those issues they are going to run into problems.
However the problems that started this thread - legally based or not - came about, there must be a way round them. Lets hear some advice rather than a defence of the Turkish business world.
Ian
Ian, I am always ready to share what I know. And I will if there is anyone willing to read when I have time. But wouldnt it be better to hear first people who came here and became successful rather than our thoughts?
Old 4th December 2006, 19:57   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,063 Times in 2,585 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serdar
Ian, I am always ready to share what I know. And I will if there is anyone willing to read when I have time. But wouldnt it be better to hear first people who came here and became successful rather than our thoughts?
Well I think that is the point of the thread - for anyone to relate their experience, not just negative, but positive too.
Perhaps there is something in the Turkish psyche which influences the way they do business, it might help to know. And I don't have a problem with using 'they' in this context, because there are national charachteristics which impact upon the way groups of people act. It is not as simple as saying all English are drunks, the complexities of any society have to be understood to make sense of any experience. People are often frustrated because they lack the insight into how a culture, such as that of the Turks, views a particular system.
Someone going to India, for example, and trying to ignore the caste system will fail to integrate at a number of levels. Someone coming to Turkey and not understanding the 'way it is done' in business, is also doomed to fail, or at least have significant problems.
Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 20:06   #26 (permalink)

Thanked 5,312 Times in 2,140 Posts
Terry the Celt has disabled reputation

Dont have a go for me briefly going off thread but I have to say this.
When people talk of the flippancy of this forum sometimes with little serious content, you only have to read posts from Immac,Serdar and other senior members to realise how excellent the depth of serious comment is on TLF at times.
Treat it please as a compliment from us and back to thread sorry
Terry the Celt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 21:01   #27 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

İ ran a restaurant in Alanya for 6 years and all my workers were turkish...and had the same workers year in and year out. Local trademen i did business with were of course turkish too. So i feel maybe in a position to add my ten cents.
ive had dealings with carpenters electricians and plumbers brickies etc...they did jobs for me at cheaper than normal rates as they were usually friends of friends etc..and i got work for them with people moving into the area..not always from the uk...Ok maybe the plumbers wife and kids would come and sit in the garden for a couple of hours..having a free coke and enjoying the novelty of meeting tourists...but what's wrong with that.
When things were not too good due to the iraq war..the hotels we relied on for business going 'all inclusive''..etc etc.... we still kept going through our friendly butcher and anything else we may have needed from all of our other local suppliers. The same went for our accountant ..who waited for ages to be paid and never harrassed us.
of course this was just business in a small way..but still i have no complaints ..the most we got ripped off was by tourists not having enough to pay the bill, promising to come back and were never seen again...(calm down ..it was usually the Finns)
However i once helped an englishman who had run out of funds and was unable to get back to the uk for 3 weeks..he had a new apartment but had some marital problems. İ had known him and his wife for more than a year and therefore trusted him..he ran up a hefty tab..promised to pay the bill into my account when he returned to Tunbridge Wells ..and i never heard from him again.
İ hate this 'them and us' type of debate and if i had to choose i'm certainly in the 'They..ie .turkish..'camp.
shirleyanntr is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 20:31   #28 (permalink)
Just a member

lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough lewismark is a jewel in the rough

Where in this thread does it make reference to "ALL Turkish or "ALL of Turkey, are out to ripp you off. I for one am a little tired of reading the same thing, like "NOT ALL" "IT HAPPENS THE WORLD OVER". "ITS NOT JUST TURKEY", when a member posts their bad experiences of a Turkish person or of Turkey. Too much defensive arguement going on here, there must be, and their is some truth in what is said to respond in such a defensive manner, so the the Turkish members on the forum who feel compeled to defend their people, why dont you explain the situations or respond to them in a positive manner instead of been defensive, their is nothing to defend, The facts are the facts, end of story.
Old 5th December 2006, 20:40   #29 (permalink)

"In my experience I found it to be extremely frustrating when working together with Turkish people for various reasons:
1..They "
Old 5th December 2006, 20:48   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 7,806 Times in 1,920 Posts
Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute Mushtaq has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the They means the ones he has worked with not every Turkish person in Turkey.

This is my understanding anyway from reading his post.

But I do find it tiring that every time someone is posting their experiences that the whole thread is made a mess by people taking it off course, because they don't want to read anything slightly negative about Turkey.

Just because someone has had a bad experience does not mean that everyone will, it's just their experience, and it would be good to read that so we can all learn, by trying to shut these people up all the time, all we are doing is making sure more people have the same problems.

Last edited by Mushtaq; 5th December 2006 at 20:52..
Mushtaq is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
business , experience , turkey