FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Doing business in Turkey

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:08   #71 (permalink)

phoenixcg is on a distinguished road
Re: How was your experience of doing business in Turkey

has any of this changed in 11 years? as these are from 2006 and enough to make you run a mile.
phoenixcg is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:56   #72 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcg View Post
has any of this changed in 11 years? as these are from 2006 and enough to make you run a mile.
Too hot to run, just walk away in an orderly fashion.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
tintagel (2nd July 2017)
Old 2nd July 2017, 16:56   #73 (permalink)

Thanked 4,264 Times in 1,736 Posts
Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute Kingfisher has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I would say my experience of doing business in Turkey was enriching and positive on the whole. But it is obvious that you are the one who has to adapt and shouldn't expect others to adapt to your idea of what best business practices are. I can only compare with setting up a business in France as I was not-sel-employed in any of the other countries I worked in.

1. Setting up a business in Turkey was easy and cheap; it only took one day and was published in the Official Gazette the next day. In France it took weeks, including an obligatory half-day training session run by the CCI, endless forms to fill in, ridiculous taxes to be paid yearly and upfront (before you have actually started earning anything), visits to different offices all miles apart. It took in total 1 month for the statutes of the company to be registered and the company to be able to do business. In Turkey we were doing business 24 hours after our first visit to the accountant.

2. Accountants in Turkey are expensive but you can negotiate their fees. In fact you should definitely negotiate their fees.

3. Always take a down-payment from your customers and if possible only deliver on payment of the balance.

4. Don't count on money being paid on time. It rarely is. On that note, if someone calls you at 11 pm on a Sunday evening and says he has the money, don't do anything stupid like say you'll drop in in the morning - get a coat on over your pyjamas, get a taxi if need be but go straight away, the next day he won't have the money. It is first come first served and if someone drops in before you, you are screwed.

5. Cold-calling in France is a miserable soul-destroying thing where you are turned away time and time again by haughty receptionists and secretaries. Cold-calling in Central Antatolia was a joy - we were always invited in, taken to the boss, offered tea or beer, shown round the property/business and made to feel welcome. Turkish people keep business cards, and you should too, it is considered very rude to throw them away. Just because you don't sign a contract that day doesn't mean he doesn't have a cousin/nephew/uncle who is interested in 6 months time.

6. Don't rush into business talk before doing "the dance of the 7 veils" - drink a couple of teas, ask about the business, the weather etc before launching into your spiel.

7. Network is everything. If you don't have family you have to create your own network, find out who is the man who is respected in the community, who people copy or look up to; meet him, try and do business with him first, then you can quote him as a client to undecided prospects.

8. If you listen to people, like people, are ready to learn from people and fit into their ways of doing things, you can have an enjoyable time doing business in Turkey. It will drive you crazy some days but the contact and insight you gain can be considerable. Just throw away any of the methods or ideas of how you do business in the UK or the EU.
Kingfisher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kingfisher For This Useful Post:
Akasya (2nd July 2017), Andywebb (22nd July 2017), IbrahimAbi (2nd July 2017), Kanga (2nd July 2017), Mushtaq (5th July 2017), RedBloodedHound (3rd July 2017)
Old 2nd July 2017, 18:22   #74 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,923 Times in 3,228 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Many good points here KF. I have been involved with Turkey in education but have also done business here. I really can remember concrete examples of each of your points. Another thing that I would like to mention is that if you have a partner, make sure that you agree on who the employees will be before you start or you will find that you are employing many of their family members on high salaries.
Kingfisher (2nd July 2017), Mushtaq (5th July 2017)
Old 5th July 2017, 12:39   #75 (permalink)

luisabdelsalam is on a distinguished road

In A few little words !
is impossible to do business in turkey government as people that they hate yabanci !!!
They are Rasist people if you are not Muslim or you look as yabanci as they say evething will be inpossible !!
luisabdelsalam is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 23:57   #76 (permalink)
TechEra

Tech_Era is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
During the two years that I lived in Altinkum I succesfully ran my own 'Property management and rental company' (albeit illegally) on my own as I was not prepared to have a Turkish person as a partner or involved in my business in anyway what so ever.
Also during this time I owned 50% of the 'Didymian' newspaper for a period of 4 or 5 mths, Built 4 or 5 websites for various businesess and helped out at an estate agents for a while.
In my experience I found it to be extremely frustrating when working together with Turkish people for various reasons:
1..They can't accept that part of being professional involves NOT coming accross as desperate to every potential customer that calls,walks past or into their office.
2..They insist on allowing their wives and children to sit around in their office as if it's their living room at home, playing games on their computers, having afternoon naps on the furniture and having their friends round for tea!
3..They ask for your help and advise on how they could improve their business and then continue to do things in exactaly the same way that they have always done it..Bit like feeding caviar to pigs (waste of time!!)
4..They have it in their heads that British people have all got money and if they havn't they can just go back to the UK and get some more.
5..The vast majority of Business owners in Altinkum have no experience of living in a European country and have no real idea of how the British mind really works.
6..Very few are qualified or have the experience in the business that they are working in.

I personally found it difficult to work together with Turkish people without falling out with them but saying that I find that difficult with anybody!!
it's quite funny somebody who is here to give moral attitudes about Turks also is admitting ''he worked illegal in Turkey '' maybe there is reason you are living in Bulgaria now , '' You think that you would be allowed to do that in Uk I don't think so somehow ,by the way you sound so professional we wonder how we could let you immigrate from Turkey to some other countries where you could continue your various works (it is a big loss ) no wonder you didn't work with Turks, I for one think that Turks must find it difficult to work with you ...
Tech_Era is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 10:55   #77 (permalink)

ahmed226 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisabdelsalam View Post
In A few little words !
is impossible to do business in turkey government as people that they hate yabanci !!!
They are Rasist people if you are not Muslim or you look as yabanci as they say evething will be inpossible !!
I don't believe that. they see white foreigners as money trees, so I cant understand why they would hate you. what is yabanci???
ahmed226 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 10:57   #78 (permalink)

ahmed226 will become famous soon enough

for me, so far so good. haven't experienced anything negative yet. and hope it stays that way.
ahmed226 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 12:32   #79 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute

Our new member 'phoenixcg' opened a can of worms here, Mushtaq has deleted 36 posts at the beginning, about 50%. I do hope Mushtaq doesn't decide to become a Mod.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 07:18   #80 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Vasant is on a distinguished road

learn language
Vasant is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
business , experience , turkey