Sha Hoorsur

Sold up in Turkey, another one bites the dust.
After much thought, my wife and I reluctantly decided to sell up in Turkey. Mainly due to her failing health, the heat is just proving too much for her, and the pavements are certainly not suitable for a wheelchair. To be honest, the whole atmosphere has changed, many of our old acquaintances have moved elsewhere and all our old haunts are virtually deserted. We arranged for a Turkish friend who is also an estate agent to sell the house for us. It only took two weeks to sell and our friend arranged everything else, Tapu, bank transfers etc. Believe it or not, with our friends help, we completed the whole thing in one day, including transferring the funds back to the UK.
If anyone is looking for an honest, reliable estate agent in the Fethiye area. PM me and I will give you her number.
My feeling of late is that the Turkish government doesn’t want foreigners living there. They want you to come over on holiday, spend your money then go back home.
I’ll still miss the old place though.

:35::35::boohoo:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Re: Another one bites the dust.

After much thought, my wife and I reluctantly decided to sell up in Turkey. Mainly due to her failing health, the heat is just proving too much for her, and the pavements are certainly not suitable for a wheelchair. To be honest, the whole atmosphere has changed, many of our old acquaintances have moved elsewhere and all our old haunts are virtually deserted. We arranged for a Turkish friend who is also an estate agent to sell the house for us. It only took two weeks to sell and our friend arranged everything else, Tapu, bank transfers etc. Believe it or not, with our friends help, we completed the whole thing in one day, including transferring the funds back to the UK.
If anyone is looking for an honest, reliable estate agent in the Fethiye area. PM me and I will give you her number.
My feeling of late is that the Turkish government doesn’t want foreigners living there. They want you to come over on holiday, spend your money then go back home.
I’ll still miss the old place though.

:35::35::boohoo:

Know exactly how you feel, been back two years now and still miss the place. Think the best years have gone. Best of luck back home.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive

im still undecided on whether to sell next year or at the end of the season, next year was always the plan after we decided not to make the permenant move, I'm getting itchy feet here in the UK and fancying a move up to the borders therefore wouldn't want the hassle of having a house in Yalikavak as well. I may well become that holiday maker who goes and spends his/her money and goes home again once again.

Martin

Last edited:

Billy Joe

Exactly how I feel,they took their 30 pieces of silver and now don't want us there.It is getting so bad here that they are making Spain look attractive but there again there are those for whom Spain is too pricey even with the reduced prices of property these days.So Bulgaria is there only option,no thanks.

SLEEPY

SH best of luck to you and I hope you find what makes you happy.

Now I am still at not sure what has so many leaving(??) Turkey ....would be interesting to hear why some folk have or are thinking of leaving and where they plan to go.

Last edited:

TNT123

To Young to be This Old

I've said for a while now "They don't want us here",yes for holidays and spend spend spend for a fortnight. Personally,I don't give a rats chuff what they think,we love it here and are staying for now,but if it were to be leaving and heading back to Blighty,the only place would be the Borders or perhaps further up north.
All the best for the future Sha Hoorsur,I wish you well.
Trev.

We too are thinking of selling.
I love our apartment and Fethiye but to be honest, I'm bored.
Most of our holidays are spent in Turkey and now it has just become an home from home but with sun, which I know isn't a bad thing, but I am becoming increasingly less excited about going.
I worry about the place when we're not there, and although the upkeep is small, for 4 or 5 weeks a year with flights and car hire it's not a cheap holiday.
I will always love Turkey, but feel we have had the best years.
I've been feeling like this for a couple of years now, but must admit when I get there I am loathe to give it up, so maybe will change my mind again.
Sha, I will pm you for the Emlak details, it will be handy to have, just in case, thanks.

Sue

SLEEPY

TNT 123 I am not so sure about that ...more probably "expats " are rightly or wrongly not just on the governments priorities or even on their radar.

We are now happily settled in TRNC, but missed Turkey and all our friends when we first left. We are glad we made the move now, but have lot's of holidays planned to Turkey, which we still love, but would rather live without the politics of the place. Looking forward to seeing our friends that are moving here from Turkey this week. Good luck guys, see you soon. Sue xx

JanetClarke

JanetClarke

SH best of luck to you and I hope you find what makes you happy.

Now I am still at not sure what has so many leaving(??) Turkey ....would be interesting to hear why some folk have or are thinking of leaving and where they plan to go.
Had my eye on a little place in Morzine but with all this EU carry on maybe I should have kept the the place in Yalikavak!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?

We were considering both Greece and Spain when we left Turkey just for a holiday home but gave up on that idea. Too old now to buy abroad again.

SLEEPY

Sue you mention the Politics of the place...but the creeping conservatism IMHO does not really effect or impact on the lives of most expats.

Funny.... if Shirl, bless her was still with us she would be back at me with chapter and verse on how it does.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious

All the best SH, hope you will still pop in and share your travels with us.
Whilst we still love our place and, Yalikavak we won't be selling yet, we have a good management company so don't have any stress about it whilst not there. We have for the last 3 years enjoyed going there twice a year and got back on the cruise bug, so during the summer months when it gets too hot over there, we have chosen to cruise. We also love to dip into Bansko to our place there in December.

I feel we have the best of both worlds

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer

All the best SH, hope you will still pop in and share your travels with us.
Whilst we still love our place and, Yalikavak we won't be selling yet, we have a good management company so don't have any stress about it whilst not there. We have for the last 3 years enjoyed going there twice a year and got back on the cruise bug, so during the summer months when it gets too hot over there, we have chosen to cruise. We also love to dip into Bansko to our place there in December.

I feel we have the best of both worlds

Cruises , Bulgaria , Yalikavak , both worlds ?

Laugh , Steve.

pepperkat

From"Gods Own Country"

We were going to sign our place over to our son Robert, but he has decided he doesn't want the hassle. Right now we have a great neighbour and friend Ozan , who looks after our place for us. Robert says that he doesn't want the hassle and worry of looking after a house so far away. Ozan like us is a pensioner and has health problems, so Robert says he can't expect Ozan to be still around, and who will buy his home after he has gone?
We can see his point I don't know how much longer we will keep our place, as it is getting harder for Ann to get about when we are in Turkey , in fact we haven't decided yet if we are going out this year because of her health.
It might end up with a trip out to sell, Ozan is devastated that we are considering giving up our place, he even told us "sell it but keep coming to visit me".
All I know is our days of owning a home in Turkey are growing shorter .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom