Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 21st July 2010, 13:18   #1 (permalink)

bloodtype is on a distinguished road
Fishing near Kas/Kalkan

Hi All,

Hope you are all well.
My family and I are off on Holiday to Kas/Kalkan in the last two weeks in August. As a keen fisherman I am desperate to get some fishing in during the break. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain a fishing licence in this area? Also does anyone know what the fishing (sea,coarse or game) is like round there?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Ben
bloodtype is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 21st July 2010, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,713 Times in 2,854 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fishing near Kas/Kalkan

Getting a licence may take some time - it took me over a week and the office is only a mile from where I live. I donīt know where the Ministry of Agriculture office is for that area. It is also expensive for a short holiday.
If you go with a boat captain who has a licence then you donīt have to bother getting your own.
The best big river near you is the Esen, which goes into the sea on Patara Beach. You run into the same problem with licence. Fishing is good. Because of the trout farms at the top of that valley, you may be lucky to get some big fish.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 13:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,169 Times in 678 Posts
mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtype View Post
Hi All,

Hope you are all well.
My family and I are off on Holiday to Kas/Kalkan in the last two weeks in August. As a keen fisherman I am desperate to get some fishing in during the break. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain a fishing licence in this area? Also does anyone know what the fishing (sea,coarse or game) is like round there?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Ben
You won't have time toget a licence you have to travel 200km to get one, but the good news is you won't need one to fish off rocks in Kalkan and the few boats that do trips will be licence. I am not sure about the coarse fishing, there are a couple of rivers there abouts. Please don't expect too much from your fishing trips just enjoy them
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:06   #4 (permalink)

Hi Ian & MrKeith,

Thanks for your responses.
Sounds like a good place to fish but I think I'll have to go with a boat trip as it sounds like getting a licence to fish any other way will be a bit of a nightmare!

Cheers

Ben
bloodtype is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:19   #5 (permalink)

mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future mrkeith has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi Ian & MrKeith,

Thanks for your responses.
Sounds like a good place to fish but I think I'll have to go with a boat trip as it sounds like getting a licence to fish any other way will be a bit of a nightmare!

Cheers

Ben
You can fish from the rocks easily and if you don't mind a mixed gril of assorted fish around 4"-6" long then your in. You can fish the rocks all the way from Kalkan to Kas (20km). It is possible to catch Baracuda in Kalkan harbour late at night but it's a bit busy this time of year.
If you go on an ordinary boat trip they will all let you fish as you move along
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

You still need a licence for rock fishing: the law is clear, although many Turks may ignore it. Fishing from a boat more likeiy to be policed by Coast Guard.

Ian
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:37   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tip on rock fishing, I'm happy catching whatever is biting - size definitely not an issue for me!

Very confusing the whole licencing lark, I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for some weeks. Finally got a response from the Turkish Tourist board about how to obtain a licence and they gave me the following info:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the fishing licenses are not available for foreigners. However as long as you obey the local fishing regulations you can go fishing.

Which is pretty unhelpful really, no one really seems to know that licences are required or where to get them from.

Hmm, guess that leaves me either fishing illegally and risking it or fishing just from a hired boat.

Ben
bloodtype is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:46   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tip on rock fishing, I'm happy catching whatever is biting - size definitely not an issue for me!

Very confusing the whole licencing lark, I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for some weeks. Finally got a response from the Turkish Tourist board about how to obtain a licence and they gave me the following info:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the fishing licenses are not available for foreigners. However as long as you obey the local fishing regulations you can go fishing.

Which is pretty unhelpful really, no one really seems to know that licences are required or where to get them from.

Hmm, guess that leaves me either fishing illegally and risking it or fishing just from a hired boat.

Ben
You will not have a problem in Kalkan fishing off the rocks
Old 24th July 2010, 03:09   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Mrkeith: my apologies.

Bloodtype: I have found an exclusion to the law which covers rock or beach fishing

"(2) Foreign Tourist Amateur Fishermen

a) By getting fishing stamp and with payment,

With the company of persons who have the Amateur Fishing Tourism License in inland waters and with boats at sea.

b) Within the framework of fishing competitions organized by amateur fishing associations without paying or getting permission,

c) Fishing only from the land for sea fisheries and by abiding the regulations set by this circular without paying or getting permission."

Tight lines

Ian
Old 24th July 2010, 08:20   #10 (permalink)
ICF

ICF is on a distinguished road

immac
So does this mean you can fish anywere in Turkey off the beach or rocks etc for free without a licence.

ICF
ICF is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing , kas or kalkan