Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 17th February 2019, 16:25   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 21,258 Times in 10,830 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Jokes - should anything go?

I share many of your concerns and acknowledge that even though as I have highlighted the more contentious material is in a marked section - I agree with you that should not be a license for foul racism

My rejected idea of bringing it to the surface by having an “ anything goes” policy -sadly imho in itself underlines that some non acceptable abuse is indeed portrayed as acceptable

I have on several occasions on TLF highlighted my interest in the complex subject of what is/ is not acceptable as humour in modern society and on a personal level still believe if the “ anything goes” attitude is rejected you are in a minefield of deciding who in your arbitrary opinion is or is not offended

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 17th February 2019 at 16:30..
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 17th February 2019, 16:34   #2 (permalink)

saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PC Brigade - Do not read you will most likely be offended.

Well at its simplest is it right that we decide for example our Muslim members should not face bigotry dressed up as humour- but our non white members should just take it on the chin

I find even weighing up such choices highly dubious

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 16:58   #3 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 22,300 Times in 11,684 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PC Brigade - Do not read you will most likely be offended.

As you say Philip you are between a rock & a hard place nevertheless there is another blatantly racist thread (Irish & Paddy Jokes) that has caused no ruckus.

Could be that they can enjoy a joke against themselves (or is it that they just donít understand them ? )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
enoch (17th February 2019), saoirse (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 17:21   #4 (permalink)

Re: Jokes - should anything go?

Lol

We are all guilty in others eyes at times of utterances jokes etc which may be offensive to others

The problem I believe is humour is so individual- is there a definitive " no-no" when it comes to humour

As I have stated there are subjects which I dont find funny and indeed some I find offensive the same could be said by others re some subjects which do make me laugh

Add to all that the importance of both context and deliberate intent and you start to see how complex the issue is

As mods on this forum I do feel we have the responsibility to look into any matters which members find offensive. It is however a very difficult balance and judgement call where exactly to draw a line in these matters

Whilst direct specific abuse against a particular individual is relatively easy to legislate for- more general subjects posts jokes etc where there is not a specific target are more difficult

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 17th February 2019 at 17:32..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (17th February 2019), Neil_Denizli (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 17:39   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,289 Posts
Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute Camden has a reputation beyond repute

"offensive" what is classed offensive in humour???? should ask Frankie.
Camden is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Camden For This Useful Post:
saoirse (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 17:43   #6 (permalink)

Yeah love Frankie, my fav comedian

He too has oft went into the minutia of what could?/should? be considered acceptable

Henrik er min hjelte.
Old 17th February 2019, 18:08   #7 (permalink)
Leo

Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of

Whilst I acknowledge the tremendous job our Mods do in what at times can be challenging circumstances, I have some serious concerns about some of the posts that a small group of people (we all know who they are) post in the PC thread.

Think what you like about PC etc, but references to "nig-nogs" or "sambo's" like we have seen recently is IMHO nothing to do with not being PC. It is downright, blatant and hurtful racism and in most countries is actually illegal.

Those of us of colour are deeply hurt by this. It is not acceptable to say "there was a warning that you should not read if you are part of the PC brigade" - as I say, this is nothing to do with political correctness!
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
mollag (18th February 2019), Neil_Denizli (17th February 2019), saoirse (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 18:14   #8 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 22,300 Times in 11,684 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
..."offensive" what is classed offensive in humour???? should ask Frankie.
Is that video available with English sub titles?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
Camden (17th February 2019), enoch (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 20:10   #9 (permalink)

Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of

Some of the non-PC jokes would be criminal offences in the UK. I suspect some posters don't just want to read the Mail, their ambition is to be in it.

This site seems to registered in the UK, so there may be some trouble for the owners down the line.

To be fair, some of the non-PC stuff is occasionally witty, but a lot of posts barely seem to have more than a slight nod to humour to disguise what is plain racist.

I'm partial to telling the odd non-PC joke myself ... but verbally, among people who know me well and share similar cultural references, and it's typically with a sense of irony that is understood by all. So probably there's 3 people with whom I could get away with something like that with.

I wonder if some of these posters might just not realise some of the jokes are offensive and sharing them with 1000s of strangers might not be too smart a move?

Personally, whether the thread is labelled as it is doesn't matter. And it backfires on all the white Brits who thought Alf Garnett was a great role model ... while making the rest of us look dumb and racist. I'd prefer the thread gone entirely.

Last edited by Neil_Denizli; 17th February 2019 at 20:36..
Neil_Denizli is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil_Denizli For This Useful Post:
Leo (17th February 2019), mollag (18th February 2019), saoirse (17th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019, 20:15   #10 (permalink)

I appreciate and understand that post

I too think the qualifying title of the thread can be misused as a cover for at times blatant racism

Henrik er min hjelte.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (18th February 2019), Leo (17th February 2019), mollag (18th February 2019)

Tags
jokes