Tracey

Air Bricks
Hi, My hubby in considering fixing airbricks into our villa to help with the air circulation. Has anybody had experience of this good or bad? Would be grateful for any comments!!!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Air Bricks
I have used them back home. They really help with reducing trapped moisture and help the interior stay a little warmer.

Biker Bob

Tracey

Air Bricks
Thanks for your comments Bikerbob! We too have used them in the uk and found them helpful - we were wondering if there would be beneficial to install them in our villa which is in the Bodrum area, just a litle bit concerned they may be a downside which we haven't thought about!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Air Bricks
Better quality homes in Bobrum have them plus exterior insulation. No black mold this way.

Biker Bob

Spike

Air Bricks
Need to make sure you have good and durable flyscreen fitted both sides!

Otherwise you are installing a highly desireable condominium for spiders, ants, wasps, snakes, scorpions and assorted other crawling and flying beasties!

scattea

Air Bricks
I know of several friends who have them installed in Turkey, although they havent had them too long. I think they are a good idea. I didn't think about the fly screens but it makes sense.

Kusann

Air Bricks
My husband drilled holes though the wall in our bedroom and put netting over area inside and out and the stuck plastic covers over them.This was 3 years ago defiantly helped with air circulation.

tjd

Air Bricks
We installed a couple of 4inch drain pipes in 2 of the rooms, c/w mesh and plastic louvres to encourage air-flow. Also in the 2 bathroom windows, didn't install glass but metal mesh and metal louvres so we can leave them open when we're not there - result plenty of air-flow in the house.

Last edited:

Peregrine

Air Bricks
Tracey said:
Hi, My hubby in considering fixing airbricks into our villa to help with the air circulation. Has anybody had experience of this good or bad? Would be grateful for any comments!!!

Why do you want to increase air circulation? why not put in a window if its for a room?

or are you confusing this with the air bricks you see in UK houses for when there is a raised or suspended floor?

be careful - get some proper technical advice

gren

Air Bricks
If you dont want the expense/hassle of air bricks try window Vent-Axias.
Get a local glazier to cut the circle holes and install.
You have to get the vents from UK though. Go here

I've installed 6 of them-very easy...they have cords for opening and closing the vents too.

Tracey

Air Bricks
Thank you all for your help/comments, really appreciated!

Gren - We have already installed something very similar in the lounge area, which has helped, but still have problems in the bedrooms. We were looking for something to help this problem.

TJD - You have practically discribed my husbands proposals. Glad to know it has proved to be helpful. Sounds as though this will be his first job during our October visit!!!!

jumbo

Air Bricks
Hi Tracey
If you go to a local builders merchant or even Kos tac (B & Q) you can buy plastic vents that can be fixed to the wall using silicon. After you have drilled several holes approx 10 mm dia some already have the mossi mesh inside them. We wont know if they are effective till after the winter but they wont do any harm. About 3 or 4 feet from ground level should be ok.
Jim

stevecarol

Air Bricks
Im not a builder but i would think that to have good circulation, would you not need to have vents at lower and higher level.
Is there anyone that knows the answer to this.

gren

Air Bricks
Hot air rises so I'd say install them higher, but that doesnt explain why old UK houses have them at foot level...
Maybe having them lower causes some circulatory effect.

i.e: the hot air rises, then cools and so falls.

Air Bricks
gren said:
Hot air rises so I'd say install them higher, but that doesnt explain why old UK houses have them at foot level...
Maybe having them lower causes some circulatory effect.

i.e: the hot air rises, then cools and so falls.

They are low down in Uk propertys to create through airflow under the floor, in the front, straight through & out the back, to stop floor joists rotting with damp, with concreat floors, no cavity, so no vents low down.

Am fitting 11 vents myself next week, to alliviate trapped moisture in the villa & hopefully eliminate black & green mould.

If this dosent work (it should) then dehumidifier on a timer for an hour a day through the winter.
Fingers Xed.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Air Bricks
Theres an ad to the left of this forum 'Solar venti' You have to Google the name because clicking on it just takes you to this site. I have no idea how well this idea works, I would love to find an independent person who has used it.....

Harem

I've cliqued
Air Bricks
gren said:
If you dont want the expense/hassle of air bricks try window Vent-Axias.
Get a local glazier to cut the circle holes and install.
You have to get the vents from UK though. Go here

I've installed 6 of them-very easy...they have cords for opening and closing the vents too.

Hi Gren, we got ours over here, in our local "B & Q" so they must be available in other areas.

gren

Air Bricks
Harem said:
Hi Gren, we got ours over here, in our local "B & Q" so they must be available in other areas.

WOW!!!
They are hard enough to get hold of in the UK despite Turkiye!!!
Wish i'd known that before i had all the trouble of breakages in hold baggage...!

Thanks for the info on air bricks Freetime28!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom