Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 24th September 2012, 11:56   #1 (permalink)

Noz03 is on a distinguished road
Toilet paper can cause serious damage???

Yesterday we woke up to find out our drainage pipe had blocked and the waste water and, well... sh*t... from our apartment and the one upstairs was coming back up through our drains and toilets!

Our landlord sent over a rather useless plumber, who tried to put acid down and instead ended up flooding both our bathrooms with sewage, then they leave and start digging up the basement and the road outside the house.

The water is flowing again now although the work is continuing and the landlord says it is our fault for putting toilet paper in the toilet!

I've heard some Turkish houses in villages have problems if you put toilet paper in them but this is the center of Izmir, and also that I know of, if the problem was caused only by toilet paper then I'm pretty sure acid can dissolve that very easily. Not to mention if this house did have problems with the plumbing then he should have warned us before we moved in, which he did not.

So anyway, I am just wondering if this could actually be our fault and also could he actually take us to court about it as he is threatening to do.

Oh and yes this is the same landlord I posted about before who wanted to raise our rent because we had a guest staying with us.....
Noz03 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Noz03 For This Useful Post:
saoirse (24th September 2012)
Old 24th September 2012, 12:03   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,798 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toilet paper can cause serious damage???

I always put toilet paper in a little bin which is beside the loo because pipes can get clogged up with paper.

How can he prove it was you and not the people above you that blocked the toilet?
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:17   #3 (permalink)
tjd

Thanked 1,443 Times in 820 Posts
tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future

Even if the pipes in the apartment block can take paper, how do we know that the pipes further down the line can?

We've always avoided paper in the loo and enjoy a wash. (but can be shocking in mid winter, when the water is very cold)
howardian (24th September 2012), lesley northall (24th September 2012)
Old 24th September 2012, 12:19   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,850 Times in 805 Posts
DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future DRACEY has a brilliant future

Acid would not dissolve a thick blockage of toilet paper and to be safe toilet paper should not be put down the toilet.
It seems unfair to accuse the plumber of being useless when he seems to be doing all the right things to sort out the problem.
DRACEY is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACEY View Post
Acid would not dissolve a thick blockage of toilet paper and to be safe toilet paper should not be put down the toilet.
It seems unfair to accuse the plumber of being useless when he seems to be doing all the right things to sort out the problem.
The reason Im angry at the plumber is because we weren't flooded until he came, also the water was still going down eventually, albeit very very slowly. So if the water is able to eventually pass then the acid should also have been able to spread through the blockage and dissolve the toilet paper if that was the problem.

My Turkish girlfriend seems to think that there was already a problem, and the toilet paper just made it worse.

As for the legal stuff, yes I guess he would need to "prove" that we were the ones who did it. But the only person upstairs is an 80 year old lady who is his mother.

Personally I don't think it should matter if we put or not, if the pipes could not handle it and especially as he didn't warn us then it is still his fault. Not to mention that the house should have inspection areas. But I guess that all depends on Turkish building regulations, if there are any????
Noz03 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:42   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,798 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't your girlfriend Turkish? If she is I would have thought she would have known not to do that and that's why the landlord didn't say anything.
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:42   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,119 Posts
evo80 has disabled reputation

why not use soluble paper .?. Its easy to get on line . Its what they use in winnebago,s .
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:49   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo80 View Post
why not use soluble paper .?. Its easy to get on line . Its what they use in winnebago,s .
Isn't all toilet paper soluble? I thought that was the point of it, its made for toilets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
Isn't your girlfriend Turkish? If she is I would have thought she would have known not to do that and that's why the landlord didn't say anything.
My girlfriend agrees with me that it shouldn't cause this problem in the city. Also I've lived in 3 and visited an uncountable amount of houses around Turkey and never had a single problem. Even when I lived in an old Greek house with 5 Erasmus students for 6 months.
Noz03 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 12:57   #9 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 10,773 Times in 5,153 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that our new drains would take toilet paper easily, but a couple staying next door used it and they blocked (we havent moved in yet) , so my neighbour cleared it and we will now get a pvc cover made for the hole, so it can be rodded easily
(yes, they built the place with no rodding points anywhere and no grids, all the waste goes straight into the sewer)
I don't mind washing with the little jet, it's refreshing in summer (winter might be a different story)

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 13:40   #10 (permalink)

lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold lesley northall is a splendid one to behold

We've always been told that paper should go in the bin and not down the toilet and just in case we always use the bin wherever we go unless told otherwise. I was always told its because the pipes are much narrower in Turkey than say: the Uk. In my mind its more hygen ic to use the washer. We once had the toilet waste wash up into our apartment and its not very nice, luckily someone was there at the time so it didn't seep into the furnishings etc. I think it was due to some lady visitors we had had there.
lesley northall is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
damage , paper , serious , toilet