Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 16th May 2019, 05:24   #1 (permalink)

ScoobyZ is on a distinguished road
My water linked to communal showers and taps.

Hi I have a holiday home on a site with 3 other houses. We have a shared pool with 2 showers either end and two taps.

Ironically the showers and taps are not near my place. When we arrived on Saturday we turned our water on and one of the showers came on. We have tested and it seems that these showers are connected to our water supply.

At the moment our water bill is low as the showers aren’t used much, but I’m starting to worry if there is a leak or they are left on when we aren’t here I could have a large bill. I turn the water off when we leave but as the stopcock is outside there is nothing to stop someone turning it back,on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? Do you think it’s worth trying to get the communal areas put on a separate meter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ScoobyZ; 16th May 2019 at 05:43..
ScoobyZ is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 16th May 2019, 06:32   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 8,615 Times in 4,152 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My water linked to communal showers and taps.

There are several issue here. It is probably the case that the showers and taps were originally installed by a previous owner of your house who did not care too much about the cost of the water.
The taps will probably be used for watering garden areas at some point so may consume a large amount of water when you are not there.
It is not clear which 'side' of the house the stop-tap is on. If someone turns it back on does that mean that there is water to your house again? If so possible leaks.
I think that I would install a meter on the 'pool side' of the house, just to monitor the usage. That way you have concrete evidence if you need to bring the matter up with the other residents.
It is not a big job to get an 'iron man' (demirci) to put a metal box around your stop-tap so that you can lock it after you are gone.

i hope that this helps a bit.
Akasya (16th May 2019), enoch (16th May 2019), ScoobyZ (16th May 2019)
Old 16th May 2019, 17:38   #3 (permalink)

VILLASUNDAY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyZ View Post
Hi I have a holiday home on a site with 3 other houses. We have a shared pool with 2 showers either end and two taps.

Ironically the showers and taps are not near my place. When we arrived on Saturday we turned our water on and one of the showers came on. We have tested and it seems that these showers are connected to our water supply.

At the moment our water bill is low as the showers arenít used much, but Iím starting to worry if there is a leak or they are left on when we arenít here I could have a large bill. I turn the water off when we leave but as the stopcock is outside there is nothing to stop someone turning it back,on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? Do you think itís worth trying to get the communal areas put on a separate meter?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have communal water on your site or is someone else connected to the other showers & the pool? I would be tempted to turn on the water to the other villas and see if they are connected to any shared facilities.
On our site we have just had water meters put in for our villas (after 14 years of communal). Our garden water & pool however is still communal, which is just as well, as we have no control over how much the gardener uses when watering our garden.
VILLASUNDAY is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 06:18   #4 (permalink)

ScoobyZ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply’s so far.

We had a play a couple of days ago and when we turn our water off both the showers pressure drops.

In the last year our bills haven’t been too much as the pool man and the owner that like gardening uses the well water.

I believe the water supplies was built like this with the showers as there are just 4 water supplies (for the 4 villas which are more like town Houses) and taps in the box outside. Just to confirm someone can turn the water on from the street and the water is back on in my house (and the external taps and showers)

To get a water metre do I just need to contact water company and if they charge to correct?

I called into a local hardware place to see if I could get something to lock the tap but they didn’t have anything. I will look into the iron man option.
ScoobyZ is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 09:24   #5 (permalink)

VILLASUNDAY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the replyís so far.

We had a play a couple of days ago and when we turn our water off both the showers pressure drops.

In the last year our bills havenít been too much as the pool man and the owner that like gardening uses the well water.

I believe the water supplies was built like this with the showers as there are just 4 water supplies (for the 4 villas which are more like town Houses) and taps in the box outside. Just to confirm someone can turn the water on from the street and the water is back on in my house (and the external taps and showers)

To get a water metre do I just need to contact water company and if they charge to correct?

I called into a local hardware place to see if I could get something to lock the tap but they didnít have anything. I will look into the iron man option.
To get our water meter we had to get a plumber to do the pipework to where the meter was going to be fitted, then go to the water company to arrange for them to supply & fit the new meter. Paid 250ytl for plumber and about 650ytl to water company.
We needed copies of passport, tapu & habitation certificate. We were also without water for a day & a half whilst we waited for them to come & fit the meter. I had to get buckets of water from the garden to fill the upstairs toilets and stuck a hosepipe through the window of the downstairs toilet., I also had to boil water in a saucepan to wash. If the hadn't arrived when they did, we were ready to book a night in a hotel
VILLASUNDAY is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 09:39   #6 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 8,615 Times in 4,152 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the replyís so far.

I called into a local hardware place to see if I could get something to lock the tap but they didnít have anything. I will look into the iron man option.
You do not need to contact the water company if it is not your main meter. If it is simply monitoring a pipe in the site it is not their business. You can buy one at the hardware store and get a normal (if there is a normal) plumber to fix it.
Akasya (17th May 2019)

Tags
communal , linked , showers , taps , water , water or elec