Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th November 2010, 08:53   #1 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Plops Champion!
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,022 Posts
bobthenob has disabled reputation
Composting Dog Waste

The dog waste can be put to good use rather then throwing it in a bag and chucking it in the bin.Just think of all that waste being produced on a daily basis during the dogs life.That is a lot of waste being thrown away needlessly when it can benefit one if done correctly.

I used to breed worms when l was a gardener in England,and the best quality worms to have for this is the bramling worm.l used to collect all sorts of garden waste and mixed it with garden soil and then chucked quite a few worms in the compost bin.After several months you will have the most sweet smelling garden compost that is rich in nutrients for the plants.What the worm does is digest the waste and then leaves behind worm castings that is an ideal natural source of plant food to keep the plants healthy.

The composting of dog waste is completely different to composting garden waste as l have mentioned above.Please keep the 2 separate since this will probably kill the worms,because mixing garden waste with dog waste can breed harmful bacteria which is harmful to the worm and also to the plants once used for the plants.
To construct a dog waste compost is quite simple with step by step instructions.

1/Have 2 non corrosive trays on top of each other with the top tray having holes in for drainage to the lower tray.

2/Add your worms on the top tray with the right amount of crap the tray can take.

3/Add some covering of biodegradable carbon rich material,such as cardboard and paper[add a bit of carpet for a cover as well..optional].This also can provide a seal for the escape of the smell and also stopping insects from entering.The worms will eventually multiply in numbers and will reduce the odour leaving a sweet smelling quantity of worm castings.As they start to consume the junk food,they are also consuming the pathogens as well within the dog poo.This also eradicates the risk of infectious diseases in the compost

4/The worm castings are the stools worm waste and this can be removed as often as you like once the doggy poo has been broken down.The liquid collected at the bottom tray is an ideal source of plant food as well.Feed it to the woody plants.

5/repeat the cycle as often as you like.

Last edited by bobthenob; 5th November 2010 at 09:11..
bobthenob is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobthenob For This Useful Post:
catswhisker (5th November 2010), pldouglas (6th November 2010), raven (5th November 2010)
Old 5th November 2010, 11:23   #2 (permalink)
Earth Laughs in Flowers..

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice
Re: Composting Dog Waste

Great information Bob. Can I ask is there is any smell as the dog waste is composting?

I understand that you are using worms so the waste is composted a bit quicker and also I assume that you won't want as much heat in the compost as you would in a normal compost because of the worms.

But I have always been told not put dog waste and any meat or dairy products directly on to a normal compost as the smell it produces is not to nice.

Will pass this on to my parents as we have a dog and the waste he produces could go to helping my Mum with her veg garden. Composting is a great way to help produce great food but it also saves some of the landfill.

Thanks Bob

Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being me......

Earth Laughs in Flowers my blog www.earthlaughsinflowers.info
raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 07:33   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Plops Champion!
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,022 Posts
bobthenob has disabled reputation

Sorry for the delay.This was due to my dog being constipated and therefore my composting pit was at a standstill.Problem been sorted now by feeding my dog a dose of something equivalent to a laxative.lt is now in full operation.

As the composting is taking hold there will be an odour until most of the waste has broken down by the red wriggly worms[bramblings are the best for this].So,the best to limit the smell is to make sure the composting trays are well away from human activity,because this can wafted in the household and people will start accusing each other about their lack of hygiene.

I have also been told not to use waste that came from carnivore,because of what you have suggested,but really the worms will break this up and hugely reduce the smell,leaving behind a sweet smelling type of compost.lt really is a high nitrogen type of plant food.l wouldnít be concerned to much about the carnivores waste smelling to much.You can put a lid on it and place in a ideal place where it will not interfere with others.

There is another way to do this if you wish not to use the tray method.
1/Dig a hole about 2 foot deep by 2 foot
2/break up the bottom of the pit with a garden fork for drainage
3/Lay the bottom with cardboard twigs and other woody magig a me things for the added drainage to improve
4/Start filling the hole with doggy poo
5/Once you reach a small layer of waste you add on top a layer of the soil you have dug up and throw in some of those red wriggly wormy things
6/Add a little water and then place a black liner bin bag on top of that with bricks to weigh it down.This will stop it becoming saturated with rain water.
7/Repeat this cycle until you have reached the top of the hole
8/And then add the rest of the soil and compact it down.place the black bin liner on top of the soil and weigh it down.

Donít forget on every stage to add a little water and throw in some worms.You will be rewarded with a good supply of top quality garden plant food which the foliage will love to consume.This is one method that greatly reduces the smell.Try it it is a lot less cumbersome then the tray method
kassy (6th November 2010)
Old 6th November 2010, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
Living in Gumusluk

karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold

Please Bob if you`re ever passing Gumusluk....come and get us started
karios is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 14:27   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 1,179 Times in 424 Posts
pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future pldouglas has a brilliant future

I wish the idiots that hang plastic bags of dog poo from every branch in local woodland would take heed of this advice - in fact I may print this post and nail it to a nearby branch.
pldouglas is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:14   #6 (permalink)

Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold Neil_Denizli is a splendid one to behold

personally wouldn't make compost of any non-vegetarian animal
Old 6th November 2010, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Living in Gumusluk

karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Gumusluk View Post
personally wouldn't make compost of any non-vegetarian animal
Hello Neil, what is uktvaccess all about please?
karios is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 24,813 Times in 10,613 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Furry sh1t machines.

Steve.
Akasya is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Earth Laughs in Flowers..

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice
Talking Re: Composting Dog Waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenob View Post
Sorry for the delay.This was due to my dog being constipated and therefore my composting pit was at a standstill.Problem been sorted now by feeding my dog a dose of something equivalent to a laxative.lt is now in full operation.

As the composting is taking hold there will be an odour until most of the waste has broken down by the red wriggly worms[bramblings are the best for this].So,the best to limit the smell is to make sure the composting trays are well away from human activity,because this can wafted in the household and people will start accusing each other about their lack of hygiene.

I have also been told not to use waste that came from carnivore,because of what you have suggested,but really the worms will break this up and hugely reduce the smell,leaving behind a sweet smelling type of compost.lt really is a high nitrogen type of plant food.l wouldnít be concerned to much about the carnivores waste smelling to much.You can put a lid on it and place in a ideal place where it will not interfere with others.

There is another way to do this if you wish not to use the tray method.
1/Dig a hole about 2 foot deep by 2 foot
2/break up the bottom of the pit with a garden fork for drainage
3/Lay the bottom with cardboard twigs and other woody magig a me things for the added drainage to improve
4/Start filling the hole with doggy poo
5/Once you reach a small layer of waste you add on top a layer of the soil you have dug up and throw in some of those red wriggly wormy things
6/Add a little water and then place a black liner bin bag on top of that with bricks to weigh it down.This will stop it becoming saturated with rain water.
7/Repeat this cycle until you have reached the top of the hole
8/And then add the rest of the soil and compact it down.place the black bin liner on top of the soil and weigh it down.

Donít forget on every stage to add a little water and throw in some worms.You will be rewarded with a good supply of top quality garden plant food which the foliage will love to consume.This is one method that greatly reduces the smell.Try it it is a lot less cumbersome then the tray method
Thanks Bob. Your poor dog being used like that lol. Will pass it along to the parents and keep it on file for when I manage to get a garden again. Hopefully some time in the near future. Love your gardening posts.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being me......

Earth Laughs in Flowers my blog www.earthlaughsinflowers.info
raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
composting , dog , waste